Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

PROTESTS: Movement shines important spotlight

Letter by David L. Dittemore, Tacoma on Feb. 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm with 22 Comments »
February 6, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: “Occupy Tacoma may face eviction” (TNT, 2-2).

I’m sorry to hear that the powers that be are seeking to get rid of Occupy Tacoma. It is sad that it is one of the few remaining settlements nationwide.

These mostly young people are the “canaries in the coal mine” who are bringing the problems in our current society to our attention, problems like income disparity, money corrupting politics, the environment, jobs going overseas, unfair tax structure and lack of jobs.

I try to drop in a few times a week to deliver some hot food and hold a sign for an hour or two. I think they’ve done pretty well; they’ve had portable toilets from the start and are supporting some homeless people who have been referred there from agencies that get public support.

I don’t think we will solve our problems by sweeping them under the rug. Much as a temperature is a signal of a serious illness, the fact that these young people are making the sacrifice of sleeping outside and enduring other hardships shows that we need to make some important changes in the world they will inherit.

1. concernedtacoma7 says:

They are bums freeloading on public land. The rest of the country has booted them. We are behind the power curve.

Get a permit, protest, clean up your mess, and then go home (or preferably look for a job.

2. beerBoy says:

Although unemployment numbers are slightly better and the jobs creation numbers are slightly better “get a job” is a useless exhortation of one who claims moral superiority merely because he is lucky enough to not be employed by an industry that has made cut-backs or off-shored their labor.

3. concernedtacoma7 says:

Life is unfair. Cry me a river.

4. Vox_clamantis_in_deserto says:

Trouble is, concerned, it takes more than a sociology degree to get into the service these days. I just drove by the dump today and from what I saw, not a single one of those losers would get into the military.

The place looks like it’s pretty much a full-fledged homeless camp now. Definitely time for a spring clean-out.

5. muckibr says:

con7, “Any of these bums can walk down to the recruiting station.”

Not keeping up with the news these days eh con7! The NAvy is RIFing 30.000 sailors. President Obama has announced other Reductions In Force for all branches of the military will be coming soon. Recruiters are not recruiting right now! Do try to keep up with current events.

Life is unfair I guess, so cry me a river. You can’t help it if you’re ignorant con7. Yes you can! READ a newspaper once in a while will you!

6. took14theteam says:

Thanks to BHO.

7. CT7 and Vox, Prove you right wing lies about the Occupy Tacoma people.

I bet if either of you were alive in the 60’s you would both be draft exempt warriors dedicated to defending America from hippies and radical students.

8. concernedtacoma7 says:

11 years and still active. Try again.

9. concernedtacoma7 says:

BB- there is more than one way to shrink the force. New recruits, both officer and enlisted will always be needed.

10. flamotte says:

Occupy Movement was an urban Woodstock which wasted our precious window of opportunity to form a third political party and get behind some actual candidates. We could have worked within the system to occupy Congress. We ended up occupying a few tents in the park.

11. beerBoy says:

So the military should be funded at higher and higher levels (I love how increases to their budget are decried as cuts) as a make-work program?

And all this time I thought the all-volunteer army was about having higher qualified/motivated soldiers than the draft – now the cons are saying it is about giving bums 3 squares and a cot so they don’t have to camp in public…..

12. Pacman33 says:

“… wasted our precious window of opportunity to form a third political party and get behind some actual candidates.”

That’s a shocker, fRed. I doesn’t take narcissistic chaplain from a leftist college to figure that one out after witnessing a single GA.

They would have shattered expectations simply deciding what their candidate would run on. Bush-Derangement-Syndrome, Anti-American Neurosis and Self-Loathing isn’t an ideal running theme.

November 6th they will be exposed as a transparent wing of the DNC like the phonies they are.

13. alindasue says:

Pacman33 said, “…like the phonies they are.”

There’s nothing phony about the problems of the underclass and the homeless. Our current economic situation and still high unemployment rate – there are not near enough Army jobs available to cover it all, concernedtacoma7 – have only exacerbated those problems. Unfortunately, due to the economy, the very programs that are meant to help people get off the streets are the ones being cut by the budget balancing knife. Note that a lot of the homeless in the occupy camp were referred there by agencies than no longer had the resources to help them themselves.

Those same homeless people referred there will be left again without support if the camp is evicted…

The goals of the Occupy movement aren’t that hard to see. They are calling attention to our government leaders and telling them to get their priorities straight. That’s a pretty clear message to me.

14. muckibr says:

(With all due respect, and apologies for these slight alteration, to Mr. Charles Dickens.)

A conVERSATION with Two real Human Beings.

First Human Being: At this festive time of year, Mr. concernedtacoma7, it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the poor and destitute.

concernedtacoma7: Are there no prisons?

First Human Being: Plenty of prisons.

concernedtacoma7: And the union workhouses or the military services – are they still in operation?

First Human Being: They are. I wish I could say they were not.

concernedtacoma7: Oh, from what you said at first I was afraid that something had happened to stop them in their useful course. I’m very glad to hear it.

First Human Being: I don’t think you quite understand us, sir. A few of us are endeavoring to buy the poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth.

concernedtacoma7: Why?

First Human Being: Because it is at Wintertime that want is most keenly felt, and abundance rejoices. Now what can I put you down for?

concernedtacoma7: Huh! Nothing!

Second Human Being: You wish to be anonymous?

concernedtacoma7: [firmly, but calmly] I wish to be left alone. Since you ask me what I wish sir, that is my answer. I help to support the establishments I have named; those who are badly off must go there.

First Human Being: Many can’t go there.

Second Human Being: And some would rather die.

15. David, invite them to your house in Tacoma, have them camp out in your yard, inside the house, occupy David’s house!

16. concernedtacoma7 says:

Bb- A+ for shifting topics from the laziness and silliness of #OWS to the military. For a prof your last post was quite weak. I used the military as an example of a job that is always there if they need one.

How about a paper route or McDs? They are bums which you supported from the start. You could be a man admit it was a mistake. Sorry, pride, honor, and patriotism are not qualities of the left.

17. con7, YOU get an EF for EPIC FAIL in trying to blame the topic shift on beerBoy.

You first mentioned the military with your reference to OWSers going to the “recruiting station” to get a job.

Here’s your message DEFLECTOR-DUDE!

FEB. 6, 2012 AT 2:52 PM

“Life is unfair. Cry me a river.”

“Any of these bums can walk down to the recruiting station. Heck, I sure they would get picked up, don’t even have to walk.”

So con7, Are you now going to try and say the “recruiting station” doesn’t mean the military right? Go on, tell another lie. But why bother. You are so bad at it you get caught all the time.

And BTW, I don’t believe you are Active Duty Military for 11 years. I bet you have never served in uniform at all. I’d guess you are really one of those Gingrich draft-dodging-deferment-dudes. If not, prove it. What’s your branch, unit, rank and who’s your CO?

18. And besides that, you even ADMIT that YOU made the topic shift when you wrote:

“I used the military as an example of a job that is always there if they need one.”

How dumb was that!

Now, back on topic, which is “PROTEST: Movement shines important spotlight,” based on the very excellent letter written by David L. Dittemore, who wrote a very positive and practically glowing endorsement of the good that the OWSers are doing and have done that will ultimately make our country better.

I thank David for his direct and personal support of the OWSers. We need more people like him and them in this country, and fewer like you con7. A lot fewer like you.

19. concernedtacoma7 says:

Ignoring the personal attack and deflection-

The good they are doing? Not contributing to the workforce or tax base, destroying public land, occupying a public park denying its use by taxpayers, class warfare, etc. Rape, murder, drug ODs, attacking the police. Real classy individuals.

Keep up the cheerleading, it will only hurt the left in the next election. Please OWS, live on! Hopefully voters will pass one of these hobo camps on the way to the polls in NOV and remember all those who supported them.

20. alindasue says:

concernedtacoma7 asks, “The good they are doing?”

Mr. Dittemore, who has actually been down to the Occupy Tacoma camp, points out in his letter, “…and are supporting some homeless people who have been referred there from agencies that get public support.”

Evidently the government agencies think they are doing some good.

21. concernedtacoma7 says:

Referred from agencies that get public support, not public agencies. Attention to detail.

And if some govt worker did send the homeless to an organization known for ODs, murder, and violence they should be called out name and fired.

22. muckibr says:

con7, quit with the deflections!! You are the DIC, the Deflector In Chief!