Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TSA: Appearance is reason to avoid search?

Letter by David L. Warnick, DuPont on Jan. 9, 2012 at 4:48 pm with 15 Comments »
January 10, 2012 11:58 am

Re: “Security checks make flying a nightmare” (letter, 1-9).

Like the gentleman who wrote to complain about the intrusiveness of the Transportation Security Administration inspection, I am no longer young. I am also retired from the Army, my eyes are also blue, and my hair, when I had hair, was blond.

I usually make it through the airport checkpoints without any more, or less, hassle than anyone else. On the other hand, my son is, as I am, a pretty good-sized guy. Unlike me, his normal disposition is sunny, and he is usually smiling. Like almost every male of his age, he wears his hair short and has a “scruff” beard.

Unlike me, the distilled essence of pale, Northern European white guy, my son is every inch of his Mediterranean heritage. His appearance would excite no comment in Spain, the south of France, Italy, Greece, Turkey or the Middle East. But, despite being born in Seattle and growing up in Pierce County, every time he flies, he and his luggage are searched.

He has become somewhat philosophical about it; I would be screaming mad.

Apparently, the letter writer thinks his appearance should exempt him from the search. It should exempt him no more than my son’s should get him searched every time.

Tags:
  1. aislander says:

We should, as Israel does, profile behavior rather than racial characteristics…

2. ManuelMartini says:

Before you get your shorts in an uproar, that was an example of subjective thinking.

3. hansgruber says:

You have a choices. The current method is “random” and those who complain about the process.

You are not being forced to go through the process, you choose or you choose not to go through the TSA screening. No screening, no flying.

4. SandHills says:

True about Israel. If there was any target most likely from Islamist terrorism (call it what it is not just vanilla crazy) it is Israel. having been there it is considerably more smoother and faster to process through Tel Aviv airport than SeaTac.

They use profiling as their main focus. On the other hand, if we think American airports are bad then go to Paris. But since the French are a bit more left on the scale of political correctness then the French accept it more readily.

TSA procedures are based more on political correctness than efficiency. Tel Aviv proves that profiling is the most efficient way – without searching grandmas in wheelchairs or fondling children and babies. But America has become so sensitive to political correctness that we have to accept the idea that anyone getting on a plane has the capacity to be driven crazy enough to see paradise and get 72 perpetual virgins as their reward for killing themselves and any number of innocents.

5. aislander says:

In this thread, I may get my “shorts in an uproar,” but you guys got your panties in a wad in the gay-marriage threads…

6. ManuelMartini says:

Oh, a “your gay” taunt.

I thought the elementary schools were back in session.

7. ManuelMartini says:

keepinitreal, why don’t you tell us who “your other” is. It will go along with your “Kardnos” obsession that you “share” with Took14theteam.

Watching “you two” has been interesting, to say the least. You have to be the same person. No two people could be so worried about who is who on a comment column.

8. took14theteam says:

Oh, to help you out Manuel, kardnos was RW98512 at the time of the above mentioned touching moment.

And since you said on another thread that you have never seen a post from kardnos during your months of “just reading”, you need to search before about Nov 1 2011.

9. took14theteam says:

So did I use a banned name too many times in one thread?

Seriously?

10. took14theteam says:

I guess the name of my supposed alter ego is not allowed anymore because my comment went to the black hole. Oh well….

11. ManuelMartini says:

took14theteam, so I’m paranoid because you and ‘keepinitreal’ flood the comments with your assessment of who’s who? Interesting thought mechanism you have there. How did you know that RW98512 is Kardnos? Did you perform and ID check at the airplain terminal?

I’ll make you a deal, I’ll stop noticing your obsession, when you stop wasting space on these comments columns with it. Do you realize you had to post 4 times in a row about it?

12. took14theteam says:

I am fully aware that I posted 4 times in a row.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious…

13. took14theteam says:

It really is amazing how some benign comments get removed, and yet others (many others) live on forever…

Kooky (TM LF)

14. keepinitreal says:

No kidding !

15. ReadNLearn says:

Israelis screen Arabs.

They have had no major incidents aboard El Al after they did 100% profiling.