Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TACOMA: Occupy camp a bad introduction

Letter by Mary Acker, Gig Harbor on Jan. 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm with 28 Comments »
January 9, 2012 2:28 pm

I was driving my 87-year-old mother through downtown Tacoma and pointed out, without comment, the Occupy Tacoma site on Pacific Avenue.

“What’s that?” she asked. “It looks awful! What an introduction to our city! How long are they going to be allowed to do that?”

This comes not from one of the 1 percent, but from a lifelong proud Tacoman, a first-generation working-class American who grew up worshipping FDR. Ah, the wisdom of the golden years.

If our city leaders truly want to improve the local economy and the image of the city, perhaps installing a Chamber of Commerce welcome booth at that location, rent-free, would be more effective.

1. “How long are they going to be allowed to do that?” “Ah, the wisdom of the golden years.”

Intolerance of First Amendment rights to improve the image of a city, is not wisdon.

2. aislander says:

The First Amendment does not confer a right to trespass, or a right to live on the street or in parks. The government we pay for needs to grow a pair and DEAL with these…people.

3. muckibr says:

If your mother is “a first-generation working-class American who grew up worshipping FDR” then maybe she remembers the Hoovervilles in Washington D.C., and the hobos on the trains all over the country before FDR was elected to his first term. There’s a lot of similarities there! Quite a lot!!!

4. keepinitreal says:

I’d wager most of the tarps and tents are simply props. I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 6 or seven people there.

It IS unsightly. I guess that’s the price we pay for fencing off the over passes to keep out the homeless csmpers.

5. took14theteam says:

Is OWS still around? BHO hasn’t been talking about them lately. Nor has Reed and Pelosi. And I haven’t seen much from the “mainstream” media.

Oh, I forgot, !!!!!!!!!!!!

6. muckibr says:

From the OWS ad:

25.2% Unemployment and Underemployment

Nearly $15 Trillion In Debt

Millions of Americans Losing Their Homes to Foreclosure

46 Million Americans Living in Poverty

Hundreds of Billions of Dollars Paid to Bailout the 1%

Corporate Control of Our Politicians

The American Dream id Dying

There is a Solution

7. I thought they were long gone.

8. concernedtacoma7 says:

Muck- thanks for posting that twice. Even you must see it easily ignored, or you would not have placed on 2 threads.

The only 1%ers that got bailouts were union bosses and Obama supporters.

Now how is this homeless camp doing anything? Months later, they have a website!

Tea Party- 60 members of Congress. OWS- 0 elected members anywhere that I know of (minus SEIU, but speaking public office)

9. TheSlag says:

That’s okay, Mary. I think Gig Harbor is pretty dang ugly. It’s all in the eye of the beholder.

10. ManuelMartini says:

The Congressional Black Caucus has 43 seats in Congress with, I’m certain dozens more supporters, thus eclipsing the 60 Tea Party seats.

The Latino Caucus is 21 seats, voting in sync with the Black Caucus. Then there are the Dems that support them.

It would appear that the Tea Party is only as good as the Republicans that allow themselves to be lead by the nose by a conservative division of their party. You’ll notice that the Tea Party made no friends during the last two serious financial debates, causing embarrassment to the Republican leadership.

The old blues song says it best – “I know a change is gonna come”

11. SCORPION says:

long gone… no, the tactics have changed. Instead of occupying a piece of real estate, they are now ‘occupying’ (disrupting) the candidates on their campaign runs.

They have all been hit. This is just the beginning. Once a single GOP canididate is chosen the onslaught begins until the election.

OccupyWallSt will be coopting Martin Luther King with an event on January 15th. We’ll see the turnout and message for that.

12. I fully expect very large turn-outs for the Repub and Dem conventions.

13. SCORPION says:

bb – gentlemans bet (I know, talking about myself in such terms)…

You will see non-stop, train wreck video of OWS at the GOP convention, narrated with the horrors to come if the GOP takes the casa de blanca.

Given the same level of obnxious behavior, you will see on the media networks, video of the usual suspects prepping for the arrival of the ‘One’ to speak words from the tele-oracle in front of this years version of the Greek columns…

14. Pacman33 says:

LOL. How Incredibly Creepy.
    Everyone needs to click Muck’s link,

It is the stupidest thing you’ve ever seen. A 4 page #Occucry e-book.

Page 1. is verbatim to Muck’s flawless representation of 0bama2012’s miserable record the sorry sob has to run on.

Page 2. is a Marxist Wishlist “Healthcare For All”, “Jobs For All”, “Freeze All Home Foreclosures”, “Protection Of The Planet” and “Student Debt Forgiveness”. (Gambling Debt Payoff)(Auto Repo Avoidance)(Unicorn Grooming)

Page 3. is a link to a radical Progressive Radio Site. I don’t get it either.

Page 4. is the much anticipated revelation of #OWS’s plan.
    After the months of suspense finally, it’s here, the page is labeled ‘What’s Next For OWS?’ Unable to wait any longer I click the ‘read more’ icon below : “Has a Harvard Professor Mapped Out the Next Step for Occupy Wall Street?” and …..
    “Error 404 – Not Found
    Sorry, the page that you are looking for does not exist.”

LOL, there is nothing back on the rest of the original page either, Only suggestions to sign petitions, vote, lol join facebook and of coarse contribute. Hahahah What a clown.
    Error 404 – Not Found
    Sorry, the #Occucrier bandwagon’s goal or plan does not exist.

15. Pacman… I’m just glad I got you to go there and get some education.

16. SCORPION says:

well scooter when I talk to person who describe themselves as Socialist and hear their wishlist for America, it sounds very much like the wishlist as written in the 99Declaration.

So it is not far of a leap to conclude the 99Declaration has some Socialist elements to it. Based on what I am reading, the word ‘social…’ is spelled, and I am not seeing the pen being put down…

I would also refer you to the sections related to capitalism. It does not come off as the system of choice moving forward in there 99% nirvana.

17. So … scooter6139 makes a comment directed to Pacman33, but SCORPION answers.

Does that seem to indicate that Pacman33 and SCORPION are one in the same person with two different “alts”?

18. aislander says:

SCORPION: Dare I say…”projection?”

19. SCORPION says:

“So … scooter6139 makes a comment directed to Pacman33, but SCORPION answers.”

So what if I did…

20. SCORPION says:

projection… no question mark needed I believe.

21. SCORPION says:

It’s simple muck, just put the ‘alts’ into catagories… you got the ones you agree with, the ones you don’t, the ones you enjoy having some discourse with and the ones you don’t, the ones you respect and the ones you don’t…

I’ve pick a few for you…

22. That being that, then SCORPION, you would be in my category of the ones I most enjoy trading comments with. You bring up some good points most of the time, but you seem a little off your game today, meaning absolutely no offense.

I learn from you, because you offer new views and commentaries, as opposed to some who just recycle the same old stuff from thread to thread.

I feel I can joke around a little with you at times, but perhaps my jokes haven’t been perceived as such. But, again, please know that I mean absolutely no offense to you with my perhaps only semi-humorous comments.

I would have to say I do have a good deal of respect for you SCORPION, even though that might surprise you.

Thanks for the info!

23. SCORPION says:

Surprised… nope, I just think you will say anything to achieve some goal that is known only to you in that mucky little head of yours.

24. Well, you and some of the others here may be just too paranoid to accept someone like me.

If you haven’t figured me out by now, you probably never will.

I’m not a devious person. I just write what I think and let the chips fall where they may. When I get ticked off, by some other commenter giving me some kind of crap or snide remark, then I tend to get a little belligerent and perhaps somewhat creative in return. But, since my first couple weeks when I really let it get to me, and almost got kicked off, I have toned it down quite a lot.

I’m not here to see how many of the posters will join my side, because I don’t have a side, and I don’t need any cheerleaders telling me how I nailed that one, or how perfect my answers are, or whatever the cheerleaders write. I’m not trying to create a fan club or an entourage. I’m just me.

I’m here because I enjoy the debate, and I like to learn new things from new perspectives. And, I guess that’s why people who keep repeating themselves really get to me, because I can’t learn anything new from them, and obviously they don’t care to learn anything new period. I like people with open minds, and get peeved by the close-minded “my opinion is fact” attitude of some.

Anyways SCORPION, that’s me. I think politically I am somewhere in the middle between the left and right, though I will be totally honest and say I probably lean left more often than I lean right.

And, I will say this, of all the righties on these blogs, you SCORPION are the one for whom I have the most respect. No BS. Just truth. Take it, or leave it. I can respect righties just as much as lefties as long as they are honest and truthful. I think you are.

Still, if I disagree with you, I’m gonna challenge you. Okay? Fair enough.

P.S. I have no goal on these blogs. And I really really hate name-calling okay Scorpy!

25. Like I said, if you had read my complete comment, but you never do get the details right, do you?

I wrote: “But, since my first couple weeks when I really let it get to me, and almost got kicked off, I have toned it down quite a lot.”

That would have been early December, and since then I have “toned it down quite a lot.” as I said. You see, some of us learn from our mistakes, but obviously you have trouble in that area, eh Lar?

26. keepinitreal says:

Funny, why did you feel the need to issue another apology after last week end ?

27. SCORPION says:

muck – I have no clue what to do with your true confessions post. Don’t care the you have learned from your TNT blog jihadist days.

On second thought you post at 3:03 reminds me of Obama… says all the ‘right’ things but actions tend to come up short.

28. keepinitreal says: