Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

PLASTIC: Ban the bag in Tacoma, too

Letter by Courtney Weller, Tacoma on Dec. 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm with 30 Comments »
January 3, 2012 11:29 am

Re: “Seattle outlaws plastic bags” (TNT, 12-20).

I just heard about the plastic bag being banned in Seattle. That’s so awesome; I just hope that it gets banned in Tacoma, too.

I know I always want to stop using plastic bags, but I forget and go to the store, and then all of a sudden – more plastic bags. I would remember to bring my reusable bags if I had to, and so would other people.

The best way to change something is just to change it and make it work. Seattle has set a wonderful example for the rest of Washington to follow. Let’s ban the bag!

Tags:
  1. Best thing to do is to get people to stop littering. Plastic bags aren’t the problem, how people dispose of them is.

2. yabetchya says:

Whatwill we pick up dog poo with ?

3. I support most pollution reducing, waste generating, recycling maximization efforts, but I use these grocery bags to pick up and appropriately dispose of dog dookie. Now I’ll have to buy the same amount of plastic bags! I wish the loser degenerates dragging their pit bulls around town would pick up their dooks, but that’s another critique for another day.

4. LarryFine says:

Hemp bags… then we can smoke them too.

5. igotdabombfool says:

Move to Seattle then.

6. BlaineCGarver says:

What a control freak.

7. citizen65 says:

The best way to control something is to change behavior. Mandating change encourages ways to get around the mandates.

8. ReadNLearn says:

Food preparation and distribution is dirty enough. I don’t want a bag that Courtney or anyone else had in their car and home on the counter. I’ve heard from clerks how dirty those cloth bags are, and they belong mostly to eco folks…ever been around Evergreen students in the summer? Do we really want their reusable bags in the store, with cat and human hair, and other debris on them.

Clean people don’t want everyone using reusable bags.

9. surething says:

Absurd. I reuse all of my plastic bags. Yes, for dog poo.

10. alindasue says:

ReadNLearn,

A quote from your above link: “Putting a reusable bag through the wash can eliminate almost 100 percent of the bacteria.”

A simple problem simply solved. Most re-useable bags are machine washable/line dry. The solid plastic bags (which I prefer for toting meats) can be easily cleaned with a rag and vinegar water. I wash my net produce bags in the sink with dish soap and water.

norsey said, “…but I use these grocery bags to pick up and appropriately dispose of dog dookie. Now I’ll have to buy the same amount of plastic bags!”

I have been known to put an occasional plastic shopping bag in my car for garbage (if I have one), but a produce bag or potato sack serves the purpose just as well. The bags you buy for the “dog dookie” purpose tend to be smaller and use less plastic than plastic grocery sacks do. Other alternatives that work just as well: plastic produce bags, bread sacks, plastic packaging from sock multi-packs and the like…

My husband and I spent a week in Maui where plastic grocery sacks have already been banned. I saw lots of dogs there and people still managed to keep the “dookie” cleaned up quite well without the constant grocery bag litter that we so often see here.

11. or they can make plasic grcery bags recyclable. Problem solved, our wonderful green government (lol) can easily mandate that all plastics be recyclable. They want to screw with the public instead of going after the producers.

12. tree_guy says:

“I would remember to bring my reusable bags if I had to, and so would other people.”

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/letters/2011/12/20/ban-the-bag-in-tacoma-too/#storylink=cpy

Every store sells the re usable bags right now. If you forget to bring yours, just buy some more! No need to pass a law just to address your forgetfulness.

13. taxedenoughintacoma says:

Rome is burning and the liberal loons worry about shopping bags.

Next up, Press and Seal, Ziploc bags, glad wrap, cling, etc. to be outlawed for use within Seattle city limits? . They all better be riding bicycles, to and from all activities, and jobs. No more plastic rings on soda and beer, juice cans, either? The Seattle City Council will sooner or later impose draconian laws, and bylaws. Those folks are nuts

14. letter writer: “I know I always want to stop using plastic bags, but I forget and go to the store, and then all of a sudden – more plastic bags.”

Yes, because the letter writer admits to being undisciplined and absent minded, the government should regulate all of our behavior.

Here’s a better idea, regulate breeding, favoring those whose perception of reality extends beyond a few minutes in either direction. Problem solved!

15. ReadNLearn says:

Someone so absent minded about bringing the so important reusable shopping bag in the first place certainly isn’t going to be all that careful about cleaning them. There are many people who don’t even clean themselves, they’re not going to worry about soiling up the area at the cash register with their cat pee and human hair laden bags.

Because of this article I asked a checker and a bagger about this and they said the same thing, too many of the bags STINK and they don’t want to touch them. People who are into treating trash like it’s a resource, aren’t exactly careful with their hygiene.

16. SafewayOrangeSoda says:

I think Courtney should take her little fascist butt and move to Seattle.

17. concernedtacoma7 says:

That’s so awesome? Are we in 4th grade?

There are options vs mandates. You carry your cloth bag, I like plastic.

Sue, your garbage habits are your business. Place trash in the right place and we have no problems.

These extreme regulations/hidden taxes just drive individuals and business away. Sad

18. letsworkitout says:

I read this letter waiting for the sarcastic punchline…alas this person is stating something they believe should be true. How disappointing.

19. HistoryFan says:

It is bad enough Seattle is a mere 30 some miles to the north with their wacky, bird-brained, ultra liberal ideas, laws and policies. Must we here in Tacoma suffer their same eco extremeism?

Don’t want a plastic bag? I respect that. Simply decline it and use your bag. That is one less bag used which the stores will not order as a replacement. Supply and demand. What a wonderful concept.

20. harleyrider1 says:

Stop telling others what to do in this Country. Mind your own business, help your neighbor when you can.

Most people do not wash their cloth bags before they shop each time. They set them on their floors in their homes (by the cat litter, the garage mice?), bring them back to the store where everyone shops, and then set them on the conveyor top at the register – where my fruit, my purchases go.

No one sanitizes it. Just a small point, but it could be deadly for the elderly or a cancer patient.

That said, live your own life but stop telling others what they should and shouldn’t do. If you admire Seattle and those whack-jobs, feel free to live there too.

21. ReadNLearn says:

Hey, someone had the perfect solution: Courtney, using Eco logic can drive her SUV an additional 30 miles each way so she can be reminded to use her unwashed reusable shopping bag when buying her tofu and wheat grass and save the world!

22. Flanagan says:

I reuse my plastic grocery bags for garbage. If they are no longer available, I will have to purchase them so a ban would accomplish nothing.

23. Does Tacoma have a plastic bag problem?

24. The Seattle law allows stores to charge 5 cents a bag for paper.

Let’s make paper bags free, and charge 5 cents a bag for plastic.

We need to replace styrofoam food containers with paper ones.

PS: plastic bags were the ‘answer’ to the ecologic problem of cutting down trees and smelly, water polluting paper plants.

25. Good Grief. That someone is actually tickled about this is one of the more depressing things I’ve encountered this Christmas.

Rome burning, indeed.

26. gonefishin69690 says:

xring, and flanagan both make valid points. Interesting article on plastic vs paper bags here…http://www.fmi.org/docs/media/bg/Plastic_Bag_Backgrounder.pdf I also use my plastic shopping bags for trash. The fact is, this would not be an issue at all if people were not such pigs to begin with.

27. surething says:

Whether or not reusable bags are washable, not everyone will wash them. Some people live like pigs, what can I say?

28. yabetchya says:

alindasue says”The solid plastic bags (which I prefer for toting meats) can be easily cleaned with a rag and vinegar water. I wash my net produce bags in the sink with dish soap and water.”

Vinegar and water will NOT kill any bacteria !!!!!!!!!!
    1tsp bleach with a gallon of water will. Those net bags should be washed with bleach also. Alot of fruits have ECOLI on them, cantalope is one of the worst. Be carefull.

29. ReadNLearn says:

Heck, they’re easy to clean, they actually can be washed the washer, however, that’s not the issue…dirty people don’t clean them. Just like the greeners use that funny gel stuff that doesn’t get them clean and they have that nasty hair and stink, their bags are the same. Baggers will tell you, if they’re honest, they HATE those bags. Smell like cat pee in some cases, worse in others.