Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TACOMA: Biweekly service and food waste recycling welcomed

Letter by Terry L. Morrow, Tacoma on Nov. 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm with 10 Comments »
November 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Thank you, Tacoma Solid Waste, for your new biweekly garbage service and food waste recycling. The garbage can no longer has an odor problem as all the food waste now goes into the yard waste container. Any odor that may be caused by the addition food waste to yard waste is easily fixed by covering the food waste with grass clippings or a few leaves.

I vote to implement the program citywide as soon as possible.

Keep up the good work and keep looking for ways to cut operating costs and improve the environment.

1. alindasue says:

I’ve been watching the food composting program in Seattle with interest. I noticed during our last trip to Point Defiance Zoo, that their main deli is taking part in a similar program. In our home, we already compost vegetable waste. Once we’re able to put the rest of our food waste, it will cut our garbage load by another third.

I’m glad the program is working well for you. I can’t wait until the rest of us can take part!

2. took14theteam says:

Did they cut your garbage bill in half?

3. tree_guy says:

If you like the twice a month pickup schedule then you will certainly love the once a month pickup schedule currently in the plans.

4. Rats!

5. Do lay off the extra people now to save money?

6. I am curious about what happens with the people that have to keep their garbage cans in the garage? For instance, at townhome developments. I know most don’t have yard waste bins but the garbage can being full of dog waste, food waste, etc for 2 weeks doesn’t sound like it would smell to great.

7. I haven’t had a problem with flies or vermin in our cans during the weekly cycle. Observing the neighborhood, the people with problems are those who are lazy and do not properly secure their garbage. I mean they empty edibles into cans without bagging them up. They ‘snow cone’ the garbage in lower capacity cans, when they truly need larger cans. They to not recycle. Rats are rats, and, mice are mice. The biggest draw for rats are blackberry bushes and trash. I haven’t seen a rat in my neighborhood in decades. The cats seem to keep mice at bay.

I will agree an exemption should be made for residential housing that requires keeping edible garbage within a domicile.

And, maybe if a home owner washed out their cans once in a while, it would not smell so bad. I wash out mine several times a year. That includes ‘Big Brown.” Ever smell fermenting grass in hot weather? Yuck!

8. Pecksbadboy says:

I am so sure this will work well in the hilltop neighborhood or with some of my lazy neighbor. About 1/3 of them do not even take in thier cans from the curbside once a week.

9. IntentionalVolition says:

edible garbage?? If it’s edible, why are you throwing it in the garbage?

10. itwasntmethistime says:

Gee Pecksbadboy, you’re not correlating laziness with poverty are you? Get ready to be clobbered by the posters who insist that one has absolutely nothing to do with the other, and who take great offense at those who suggest otherwise. Those posters will make it clear to you that those people don’t take in their cans because they are far too busy