Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

PUYALLUP: Martineau committed to city

Letter by David A. Seabrook, Tacoma on Sep. 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm with 9 Comments »
September 29, 2011 3:54 pm

I encourage Puyallup voters to support Nicole Martineau for the City Council at-large position.

She has singularly impressed me with her energy, her easy grasp of complex issues and her attention to the main job of any politician – problem-solving, or the art of the possible.

Based on her background and education, we can fully expect Martineau to maintain fiscal responsibility in these difficult times. Puyallup can benefit from a focus on the kind of sustainable economic development effort to which she is committed. Clearly, her close association with law enforcement issues also makes her ideal for promoting public safety funding.

I remember as a youngster my mom taking me out to pick berries in the valley fields. While these opportunities are not as plentiful as they once were, at least we can regularly get down to the Puyallup Farmer’s Market. Martineau has a stong commitment to open space and agriculture.

As a longtime member and recent leader of the Puyallup River Watershed Council, I have worked with Martineau and watched her as she listens to and works with a diversity of opinions. She can be instrumental in achieving a consensus. In other words, she does not come to the table with a predetermined agenda.

Certainly, these are the qualities needed to energize the City of Puyallup.

Tags:
  1. stetsonwalker says:

OK sounds good. If I move there I would have to consider…

2. everyone says:

What background are you speaking of? Parade princes? Grocery bager? Maybe Bath and Body Works clerk? Or a very part time substitue teacher’s aid? Get a grip David! Look at her voting record to raise utility reates, not consolidate city services into city owned buildings and save $ and not give citizens the right to Initiative and Referrendum. The Farmer’s Market and open space won’t help my bottom line with a fixed income. My vote will go to Steve Vermillion.

3. CrazyJim says:

The Puyallup Police Association the Central Pierce Firefighter Local #726 endorsed her opponent, Steve Vermillion. Think I’ll go with Steve.

4. theglovesRoff says:

Sum one who comments here, a lot, 80% of the time, said to another letter writer; if they don’t live in the district the person was running for, they have no business endorsing them. So David, your seminar letter doesn’t count.

5. everyone says:

According to the PDC filing of David A. Seabrook’s donation to Martineau, he lives on Grandview in Tacoma. A long way and a long stretch to understand Puyallup politics don’t you think?

6. EthicalPuyallup says:

“Clearly, her close association with law enforcement issues also makes her ideal for promoting public safety funding” ???
    I assume you mean her father is retired from the state patrol and her husband is currently an Orting police officer… then tell me WHY.. with that legacy… The Puyallup Police Association is endorsing her opponent??? Police have always stuck together…. Brothers in Blue… to break that unwritten commitment , don’t you think they believe VERY STRONGLY that she is not the best choice???

7. puyallupmutt says:

Martineau makes a big deal out of her wonderful father who recently retired as a Captain in the State Patrol and the values he gave her. The very same Martineau also talks about being a welfare child living on food stamps with her single parent destitute mother.

Makes my brain hurt trying to figure it out.

8. everyone says:

I hear she supports the police officers very well. Even called them to her home to chat and file a formal complaint against a citizen who called her when she didn’t like the questions the citizen was asking. Now that’s dedication!

9. artiepuy says:

Dedicated to open space? Isn’t she part of the cabal that decided it would be a great idea to pave over the Van Lierop daffodil fields and put in an overpass and a Safeway?