Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

STRIKE: TNT correct about hungry kids

Letter by Bernice Larsen , Puyallup on Sep. 23, 2011 at 10:47 am with 9 Comments »
September 26, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: “Hungry kids? TNT claim is ridiculous” (letter, 9-23).

What ivory tower is this letter writer living in? Children can go hungry during a teacher strike.

Sometime cereal and peanut butter is hard to have after rent, electricity, water/sewer, etc. is paid. Before criticizing the newspaper, this letter writer needs to do some volunteer work for low-income children. One’s life experience isn’t always the same for others.

My ancestors have a saying: “Do not criticize another until you walk in his moccasins.” That’s good advice to the wise.

1. WHOA! A Bernice Larson letter that is true and accurate! Bernice, I believe this is a first :)

2. stetsonwalker says:

Yes, if the moccasins are walking in some poor African nation

3. I’ll feel sorry for them when DSHS & government feels sorry for me having to pay for the low income parents cell phone bill, cable bill ,broadband internet bill, cigarettes ,alcohol, weed, meth, starbucks, junk food, lottery tickets (Yes they buy them when they take out cash). I’ve seen every item be purchased by low income people except for the drugs which I promises they are.

4. stradivari says:

My oh my!

I am waiting for a letter to the editor claiming the Tacoma teachers union was responsible for the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby.

5. pasmacker says:

So kids are going hungry if they don’t get fed at school? Well whose fault is that? The parents! The number one priority for a parent before anything else has got to be feeding their chidren. Are you telling me there is absolutely no food in the house? So what are the parents eating? Maybe they should be fed at school as well. Most cases the parents are stuffing their own pie hole while they send their kids to school for their meals. I have observed this first hand as a mother told her son, “Look I won’t have to get up in the morning now to make you breakfast”. The income of the parents is very frequently not an indication of household standard of living but not feeding your child is an absolute indication of a failure to provide for your child’s most basic need. By the way, I was told my children could get free meals and the school officials were very puzzled and disappointed that I declined. I found a way despite my low income at the time to feed my children. Meal time in my house was very important on not only a nutritional level but social bonding as well. Sharing meals together is elemental in a stable suppportive family. The school meal programs exacerbate the decline of the family unit by interjecting the school as the party responsible for the child’s well being. At the very least, there should be an in home investigation of each family participating in the meal program to see exactly why these kids are not getting fed at home or bringing their lunch to school. This is definitely a red flag of serious problems that require more assistance than food.

6. alindasue says:

When our income was low enough that we qualified for free lunch, I was able to feed my kids at home with no problem. Peanut butter sandwiches are nutritious and cheap. It was nice for my kids to get a wider variety of lunch foods when they were at school, but they didn’t go hungry when school was out.

The very few that would actually go hungry need more than just school lunch assistance.

7. BlaineCGarver says:

+1, Alindasue……It’s hard not to sound uncaring about kids when it’s parents that need the training. WalMart is the place to see poor people shop, that’s just a fact…From the looks of most shoppers, they eat enough themselves to feed their entire family. And this does not count the free stuff at food banks. Betcha there’s cell phone payments, color tv, cable and so on. There is no pride anymore in making it on your own.

8. itwasntmethistime says:

My food budget for my family of 4 is less than a family of 4 can receive in food stamps, and we eat just fine without the assistance of food banks or free school lunches. What a crock.