Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

MULTICARE: CEO, others should share the burden

Letter by Kathleen P. Petrulli, Gig Harbor on Sep. 22, 2011 at 11:58 am with 25 Comments »
September 22, 2011 11:58 am

As a former MultiCare employee, I am angry to hear about the planned layoff of staff.

The News Tribune revealed that the CEO has received millions of dollars in compensation. I find it hard to reconcile this level of compensation when MultiCare is a “not for profit” hospital system. Jobs could be saved if the CEO and others were willing to share the burden.

I recently learned that the director of pastoral care was laid off. There will no longer be a full-time chaplain to care for the spiritual needs of patients and their families. I think this was a very shortsighted decision.

I know how much the chaplain service provides support beyond what may be written in a job description. If the hospital’s mandate is to provide the best care possible, then so much that goes on behind the scenes can never be measured in dollars and cents.

I would ask, “Do you want the hospital to remain a center of excellence?” If the answer is yes, then those at the top must be willing to give back to save jobs.

Achieving financial stability by laying off staff is simply wrong. It’s time to do the right thing and to give back to those who deserve it the most.

1. stetsonwalker says:

I am curious Kathleen, did you not profit when working there or was your time donated?

2. sevenstrokeroll says:

stetsonwalker…I’ll bet she didn’t make millions.

3. stetsonwalker says:

sevenstrokeroll

4. “If I shot you with a gun, should it make a difference whether I used a .22 or a .45? Is life a matter of degree? s long as you only steal this much you are OK?”

I don’t get it. What are you trying to say?

5. stetsonwalker: you sound like a total jerk. Of course she received a pay check but that was not her point at all and I for one agree with her that the CEO should not make that much especially if it costs others jobs and you probably won’t agree but a Chaplin is just as important in a hospital as the doctors, nurses, etc.
    your other post made no sense at all – you smokin something?

6. scooter6139 says:

Walker,

Get some help and keep the violent rhetoric out of these pages.

7. puyallupmutt says:

if the liberal fanatics who insist on this continuing as a right, even more hard working professionals will be laid off

it will only get worse under obamacare

welcome to socialism.

europe tried it for 50 years. it basically worked until its version of mexico (eastern europe and pakistan) broke its back with its freeloading immigrants.

sad.

8. stetsonwalker says:

scooter6139 says:
    September 22, 2011 at 7:36 pm
    “You are one seriously disturbed man. Why did you automatically go to something violent and over the top by using a gun shooting analogy?”

You are the one that is disturbed, I was using 2 analogies. Both of them relating to size difference. You see the class warfare that is going is the true violence here. It is a financial violence waged by the liberals. So get off of your high horse. And I certainly do not need a manners class from you, as it seems you lack both manners and class as well as a serious lack of reading/comprehension skills.

9. MadTaxpayer says:

Worker Bees are always cut first. Funny how that works. Where I work, we are suffering from reduced sales.
    So, management cut the most junior staff first to include the office help.
    Now, processing sales takes longer while upper managers slap themselves on the back for “saving money”
    The slower time is causing customers to buy else where.
    Get rid of the upper managers and we would save about 1 million in salaries.
    MultiCare is using the same plan and we as customers suffer.
    Kathleen was most likely a worker Bee.

10. puyallupmutt – where you the one cheering at Republican debate during the question about letting the uninsured die? Talk about sad!

11. Puyallup Mutt: As per usual, you missed the point. Why pay a not for profit CEO millions of dollars while saying that you can’t keep staff? If Medicare went away, all of the hospitals would go under. All of them. Do you have any idea what socialism is anyway? Not what Beck told you, but the actual definition?

12. stetsonwalker says:

“If Medicare went away, all of the hospitals would go under.”

That must be why fewer and fewer hospitals take Medicare so they do not have to subsidize the payment?

13. Dave98373 says:

This is a good example of what is going on in America right now. Everyone is being asked to do less…except those at the top. The top CEO’s are laying off people and downsizing companies–especially middle managers. Yet, their pay increases at obscene amounts. Pretty soon in America all that will be left in the workforce are CEO’s and outsourced workers from India.

14. nwcolorist says:

Test

15. Hey Stetson: Which hospitals? Names? “More and more” is not specific.

16. Local hospitals? Such as?

17. blakeshouse says:

Stetson…… Arguing with these idiot socialists is next to impossible. It is easier to pee up a rope and slide down the dry side.

18. monmornQB says:

I think it is imperative that we “compensate” executives millions of dollars for being in charge of a business that is financially failing. If we don’t then communism will win. Not to mention how great it is for capitalism and freemarkets when we reward executives that oversee business’ that are forced to make layoffs. If this exec isn’t rewarded for thier business savy then the quality of work and customer service will suffer.
    Remember the only good thing for the economy is laying off the working class to maintain as much profit for the top as possible. Profits now over maintaining for the long hual.

19. pawl….stetson, in typical Conservative hyperbole, is trying to say that a worker, doing work for pay is using a gun to steal….

You get it…..right?

20. “puyallupmutt says:
    September 22, 2011 at 7:36 pm
    multicare like so many similar orgs are losing out to the massive number of freeloaders showing up for free health care”

Having used Multicare’s fine facility in 2003, I can guarantee you that they are not shy about collecting money. My insurance paid 95% and they were right there to collect the difference. Of course, with me…..I didn’t get the same discount that the insurance company did before payment. I had to pay retail.

If they are “hurting for money” maybe they need to make those “difficult cuts” that the Conservatives claim need to be made in government…..oh…that’s what they are doing….taking from the middle class so that the wealthy don’t lose.

21. “blakeshouse says:
    September 23, 2011 at 7:57 am

One has to enjoy the convincing diatribe…..

22. ItsjustmeinTtown says:

I work for MultiCare and have for over 15 years now and I am proud of how my organization has operated through these difficult times. We have work diligently as cutting cost every possible way and made it much further than most organizations even attempt before the decision was made to lay employees off. While the lays offs have been painful for us all even that was done in a way that demonstrated my organizations compassion and concern for its employees and a request for volunteers was issued offering the incentive of additional severance to minimize the emotional impact. Additionally I keep hearing about our CEO making millions, while her salary is not known to me it was made clear that the millions she earned that one year was an accumulation of differed bonuses that she had put off accepting until the organization was in a better financial position. Unfortunate directly after accepting her deferment the economy tanked. By the way all management and all full time employees that rate appropriately on their performance review either bonus or gain share per a formula created by our organization.

23. stetsonwalker says:

KARDNOS
    You just love putting words in people’s mouths!
    emoo
    I did not say local hospitals, but the MAYO in 4 locations, BJC hospitals,
    here is some reading for you,
    Medicare Is Bankrupting Doctors And Hospitals – Better Health

24. “Medicare Is Bankrupting Doctors And Hospitals – Better Health”

Next you’ll be quoting “Republicans Must Win Presidency or You’ll Die” – RNC Magazine

25. stetsonwalker says:
    September 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm

stetsonwalker says:
    September 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm
    sevenstrokeroll

OK, Stetson….first you are talking to a self described worker, formerly of Multicare….then when sevenstrokeroll pointed out that she didn’t make millions….you made the second comment.

Logically – and maybe this is where I’m wrong in reading you – the second comment is in turn with the first…..where nothing about Medicare or hospitals is in context.

Well AFTER my comment….you said this –
    “stetsonwalker says:
    September 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm
    “If Medicare went away, all of the hospitals would go under.”

Follow your own thread…..LOL