Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TAXES: GOP wants to raise workers’ taxes

Letter by Brant R. DeLarme, Bonney Lake on Aug. 23, 2011 at 11:18 am with 64 Comments »
August 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Re: “GOP opposes Obama’s plan to cut taxes” (TNT, 8-22).

When the time came for the Bush tax breaks for the wealthiest two percent of Americans to end, the Republicans fought tooth and claw to extend them. Now the time has come for an Obama tax break to end and Republicans are fighting fiercely – to end the tax break.

Only days ago, Republicans were saying that ending a tax break was the same as raising taxes. Now the Republicans are saying that extending tax breaks will push the deficit higher.

So the Republicans were lying when they said they would not raise taxes and they also admit to increasing the deficit by $700 billion by not ending the tax break for the richest two percent.

I don’t know anyone who makes more than $200,000 a year as an individual. But most people I know, including myself, pay taxes on their payroll. Republicans are raising taxes on every working person I know, and they have not cut taxes for anyone that I know.

Obama on the other hand is fighting to extend the payroll tax break, which I benefit from. It looks like I know who I am voting for.

1. BlaineCGarver says:

That’s a withholding “thing” you can either have it in your paycheck, or pay it at the end of the year…there is no break.

2. BlaineCGarver says:

Edit to say: I wish they would cease that clause. I’d rather get money back than pay it at the end of the tax year.

3. commoncents says:

Actually Blaine that’s the SS tax that moved from 6.2 to 4.1% that the poster is alluding to. It was a 1 year break that the GOP does not want to continue. Has nothing to do with withholding or even FIT.

4. The payroll tax break is stupid policy – Social Security needs to maintain the old rate of withholding.

However….the GOP is talking out of both sides of their mouth by, rightfully, wanting to not renew this temporary cut while, wrongfully, trying to make another temporary tax cut permanent.

5. alindasue says:

beerBoy said, “The payroll tax break is stupid policy – Social Security needs to maintain the old rate of withholding.”

Perhaps if we removed the upper income limit for the payroll tax, we could get by with the lower “tax break” rate… or we could return to the normal rate without the upper income limit and provide more revenue to the system.

6. LarryFine says:

It cracks me up how some of these lefties seem to think they speak for the GOP.

7. commoncents says:

So Larry…does the GOP have an issue with allowing the tax break to continue? Or do they think that we need to raise taxes (allowing a break to expire is raising taxes) to prevent anything from adding to the debt?

Personally I say leave it at 4.2%, bring down the employer piece to the same place, and raise the limit to 125k with no corresponding increse in benefits…but that’s just me. Both ER and EE’s will pay to that limit.

8. Soundlife says:

Yes those evil GOP also wants to bring back slavery, starve children, and put old people into concentration camps.
    We all need to vote for the Dims who spent our social security funds on pet projects for their rich friends, brought down Fanny May, and are now spending us into oblivion.

9. Dave98373 says:

Glad to see someone is benefiting during these difficult times, Brant.

10. “Republicans are raising taxes on every working person I know, and they have not cut taxes for anyone that I know.”

Brant what taxes are you referring to with this comment?

I know of no taxes that have been raised as a result of the GOP, please provide info.

11. LarryFine says:

LOL…

12. concernedtacoma7 says:

I am pretty sure republicans have lowered taxes on everyone I know.

13. The last time Republicans cut taxes was under bush at the beginning of his presidency with the income tax cut. Since then those have been extended. Dems were in favor of extending them for all but the top 2% Republicans said that would be raising taxes.

Obama cut payroll tax 2% last year. Now he wants to extend that cut and the GOP is opposing it.

Do you actually read the news or just the partisan dribble on these comment pages?

14. Oh and Dave, as a college student working two jobs I would not say I am benefitting from this situation. but I can honestly say I benefit from a 2% cut in my payroll tax

15. theglovesRoff says:

That $10 a paycheck goes a long way…….

16. Soundlife says:

lol, yes and when you muliply it by how many working Americans we have, that is quite a dent in the Social Security “trust” fund…

17. jimkingjr says:

The cut in the payroll tax was designed and intended to be a one year cut as part of a stimulus package. The Bush cuts were time-limited to play the budget game, but were designed to be permanent.

Social Security will go bankrupt even quicker if the employee share of the payroll tax remains at two-thirds of what it is supposed to be. If Obama or others want to revamp Social Security, go for it. But it is extremely unwise to just cut its revenues.

18. Delarm.
    Obama wanted to end the bush cuts for the upper two tax brackets (the current 33% rate would have gone back to 35.5%, and the current 35% bracket would have reverted to 39.1%)

19. geeterpontiac says:

If this tax cut was allowed to expire, it should have a direct impact on the solvency of Social Security.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Doesn’t it demonstrate that Repubs as well as Dems are concerned about preserving SS?

Seems reasonable to me since both parties acknowledge the need for revenue for SS.

20. While surfing with my morning Joe, I found an AP article on another site… long story short, TNT did not publish the entire story. Another poster on TNT also confirms that AP did not publish the entire story.

Democrats has some issues with the payroll tax cut also

“Many Democrats also are ambivalent about Obama’s proposed tax cut extension. They are more focused on protecting social programs from deep spending cuts. Some worry that a multiyear reduction in the tax designated for Social Security could undermine that program’s health and stature.

For decades the payroll tax generated more revenue than the Social Security paid out in benefits. The excess was used to fund other government operations. Last year, however, Social Security benefits began outstripping revenue from its designated sources, forcing the program to start tapping its “trust fund” of government obligations.”

Here is a link to the AP story… interesting intro by the original AP author but what else is new…

Not sure about you TNT right now… hmm

21. Another poster on TNT also confirms that AP did not publish the entire story.

22. commoncents says:

theglovesRoff says:
    August 23, 2011 at 8:45 pm
    That $10 a paycheck goes a long way…….

The arrogance of this comment is astounding. For someone who makes $475 a week and likely takes home only $375 of it? Yeah, I would imagine that it does go a long way. It’s food for a few more days! But no worries, they can just continue standing in food lines, right?

23. ‘I have noted that AP has published a few stories lately that seem more about inflaming emotions than informing the public. “

My cynical theory is that they do it to generate hits on their website. By generating hits they increase the potential revenue they receive from the ads floating around the site.

My second more cynical theory is that certain posters are allow to spew because they tend to inflame the emotions and in turn responses to their post (I have been known to wallow in the gutter a few times with our resident flamer, your welcome TNT).

People like train wrecks in progress so they tune in to watch the fireworks, hence increasing hits per page, hence potential revenue.

24. Dave98373 says:

You know Obama Inc. is in deep trouble when even college kids can’t even get a grasp on the math of economics and history of this nation (by the way…college kids…students loans?…the next economic bubble for America???). How bad is it? Even extreme members of his own party are questioning his policies!! Moreover, more people of his failed democRATic party are asking him privately not to run in 2012–now that is proof that he has hit rock bottom!!! The DOW is currently up 19 points Mr. President, please stay on vacation for the rest of your term!!!

25. Xx98,
    The GOP is always for cutting taxes – espically the ones impacting the ‘richest’.
    Now they want to end a tax break (which according to Grover) is a tax increase for those making less than $50,000 per year.

L_F

26. xring – my god, dude this is so transparent…

It is a payroll tax that should never have been cut in the first place. The purpose of the tax is to fund Social Security… why are we cutting funding to the porgram in the first place. If anything, the GOP is trying to put the funding back into Social Security.

Why do you guys think you know what the GOP stands for or wants… you are always wrong.

If you are going to have taxes then make sure they are the correct kind of tax, on the right thing, for the right reason, to fund the correct program… it really is that simple.

GOP wants to raise taxes… so dang transparent.

27. Dave98373 says:

“xring says:

August 24, 2011 at 8:08 am

Xx98,

L_F
    One only has to listen to the GOP to know where their priorities lay. Try the Christian Science Monitor for a true fair and balanced view.”

xring-
    Would you please turn off the lights in America after the last nail in the political Obama coffin has been secured shut by the American public? Great job Obama Inc. You destroyed capitalism you dolt.
    Thank you.

28. “theglovesRoff says:
    August 23, 2011 at 8:45 pm
    That $10 a paycheck goes a long way…….

theglovesRoff says:
    August 23, 2011 at 5:27 pm
    I see The Kard is having my comments removed again.

I wonder who he has pictures of…….

Or could it be anyone of the hundreds of people that you insulted with this comment? I’ve not been near the computer much, so I’d say that glovesR is spitting into the wind again

29. Dave – would you please turn off the Republican DITTO Machine?

75% of Americans disagree with the Republicans on taxing the wealthy thus I doubt they are going to buy your brand of manure.

Recently, there was a big hubub about “Obama’s polling on the economy” being very low. What no one asked was “what was the questioning”. Many progressives are unhappy with Obama (I’m one) because he his been too milquetoast with the Republicans on the issues that affect middle class Americans. Are we happy with Obama’s handling of the economy? Nope. Would we turn it over to the corporate lackies called the Republicans? NOPE

30. Dave98373 says:

KARDNOS-
    I’m sorry. I was so busy sleeping that I was intentionally ignoring you!! Still, you do not deny that BHO ratings are so low that even Nancy Pelosi is bailing on you? How pathetic is that?? The current administration is the worst in the last 40 years. How can you get by that? That is significant. All your “cheerleading” will not change that. As the days continue in this presidency….the lack of leadership and vision shows….good luck to all non-believers!!!

31. Dave – when you get off the GOP platform, someone might take you seriously.

How can I be cheerleading when I say I’m unhappy with Obama?

The worst adminstration in the last 40 years? How about the one that took us to two unfunded wars AND cut taxes?

Nancy Pelosi is ‘bailing”…..please cite an example. You see, the Democrats are well known for not walking in lockstep as the Republicans are famous for.

If you had to cite a solid example of all your baseless assertions and hyperbole, you’d have a coronary.

Example – “good luck to all non-believers!!!”

This doesn’t even make sense in context to the comment

32. “lack of leadership”

The latest three word Republican phase.

Of course, not one of them could cite precisely what it means…..

Is leadership being the President that cooperated with NATO, dispite GOP contention and has helped in being successful in the removal of the Libyan dictator? It’s been strangely silent on the Right on this subject, with exception of McCain and Graham who are firmly entrenched in the Senate and can afford to make stupid comments. How can you not be a leader when you oppose half of Congress and are successful in the mission?

33. Leadership.

From Rueters –

One problem with being a grown-up and expecting the children to follow suit is that they are still children. This story from Politico highlights the dilemma for the red meat crowd, who want a muscular foreign policy (except when a Democrat does it).

It’s the 2012 Republican field’s first real moment in the foreign policy spotlight — the dilemma over how to respond to the apparent success of President Barack Obama’s intervention in Libya.
    So far, the strategy for nearly all the candidates is: don’t.

Huntsman thought the intervention was a mistake. Perry thought it was a great thing that happened spontaneously, without the intervention of mankind. Romney is still doing polling to see what he thinks.
    It’s questionable whether Republicans will be able to hold Libya at arm’s length for long. The United States is now involved in deciding the fate of the North African nation, and it’s all but inevitable that would-be commanders-in-chief will have to say whether or not they think that’s a good thing.

34. geeterpontiac says:

“As for reality, it’s a “nuanced victory” for Obama, who is not much of a chest beater….”

It’s hard to be a chest beater when you haven’t got much of a chest.

35. AlabamaGeorge says:

why did Bush wear a codpiece?

36. Perhaps that was leftover from his days as a cheerleader?

37. Gotta say though….Obama is not bragging about Libya because he doesn’t want his “Mission Accomplished” comeuppance. Gaddafi ain’t done yet – even though he looks to be on the ropes.

38. concernedtacoma7 says:

Kard has cited a figure numerous times in the last week showing the majority of Americans want the rich to pay more. Wow, what a surprise. Hey big govt, take more from that guy so I can pay less and get some more entitlements! What a loaded poll.

The poll he should have been talking about was when obamacare was forced through against the desires of the majority. You pick a poll about an issue that effects .1% of the pop, vs the one that effects us all.

Shows a ‘me first’ mentality and an embarrassing lack of pride among most Americans. I would like to see that poll broken down by those that actually pay a federal income tax and those who do not.

39. Uh…concerned……

We already have a situation where nearly half of Americans don’t make enough to pay income taxes…..if 75% of Americans are getting “entitlements”, we are in worse trouble than we think.

The truth to the issue is that 75% of Americans represent the working class and they are smart enough to know that if you have a person who makes $250K a year, they don’t spend proportionately more than a person who makes $40K a year. They probably spend – per capita – about the same as anyone else on food, medicine, health care and the other basic needs of life.

Why are the people with the greatest means trying to pay the least?

Here’s another thing Kard said last week……My household makes a middle class income and we pay income taxes. I’d hate to be the people not paying income tax, knowing what I make and that I’d have to make quite a bit less to qualify for zero taxes. Oh..and my wife is one of those “overpaid” government workers. Yeah…we’re really burning up the dollar bills at our house….LOL

40. Oh…and the other thing, concerned…..none of the 75% are asking to pay less….

that privilege is reserved for those who already have money.

The 75% is just a bunch of people that know you are not going to lower the deficit by cutting alone…..

I’m very glad you are making $250K a year. Aren’t you just a little embarrassed to be so miserly?

41. While we’re at this…..

What “entitlements” are 75% of Americans receiving and why?

42. beerBoy….considering how Obama handled the public information on the capture/killing of Bin Laden, I doubt that there will be much crowing. He seems to think that this stuff is just his job.

43. Dave98373 says:

KARDNOSE- You must have been in the Navy and are a strong believer that the captain goes down with the ship. In twenty years from now, people will look back at how bad this presidency was and everyone won’t even have the courage or honesty to admit that the even voted for Obama. Yourself included!!

44. theglovesRoff says:

You can ask frosty about Kardnos’ military service Dave, if you really want to know.

45. Dave98373 says:

…And by the way Kard, the Dow is up yet again today. 143 points. The longer Obama stays on vacation the better the Street does.

46. Dave – Wall Street says that the increase in the market is in anticipation of a new stimulus……

But enjoy your sophomoric dreams…

47. Why would frosty know anything other than what I’ve told him?

He doesn’t. In fact, he doesn’t know what I told him. He always get’s it wrong.

48. Uh….Dave…

“Why must a captain always go down with his ship?
    My third grade daughter is into the Titanic and reading all about it. She is reading about when it sank, and in the book the captain says that a captain must always go down with his ship, and she would like to know why.

That’s a mostly unfounded tale. Captains rarely go down with the ship. They save themselves too if they can. However, as some of the above posts indicated, a captain should see to everyone else’s safety first. If they can’t get everyone else off safely by the time the ship goes, down, they may be going down as well. In the case of the Titanic they did not have enough lifeboats for everyone.

49. concernedtacoma7 says:

Hey Kard, so servicemen make $250k? What are you talking about?

50. bobcat1a says:

Dave, when the historians look back on Obama 20 years from now he will have one huge advantage, to wit, he will be compared to GWB; that will obviate any chance of being judged “worst.”

51. XX98,
    What is so transparent that the right wing failed to see it is that the Payroll Tax cut ONLY APPLIED TO THE LOWEST 46% of wage earners.

Dave,
    Unrestrained, unregulated Capitalism is destroying America.

Should the GOP steal the 2012 election the motto on our paper money will be ‘Currency of the late great Unites States of America”.

According to Real Clear Politics:
    Obama Polls at 43.4% approval, 50.6% disapproval.
    Congress Pools at 16.0% approval, and 78.2% disapproval.
    Obama 43.8% vs ‘Republican’ 43.0%
    Obama 46.8%, Romney 45.6%
    Obama 48.4%, Perry 41.8%
    Obama 50.3%, Bachmann 41.5%

52. “concernedtacoma7 says:
    August 24, 2011 at 7:31 pm
    Hey Kard, so servicemen make $250k? What are you talking about? ”

Thanks for making my point. You don’t have a dog in the hunt. As a government employee, I’d think you would be smarter and vote Democrat, since all the GOP does is cut veteran funding.

53. As for ‘GOP wants to raise taxes’ that can be found on all none right-wing-media. Easy to see how a Fox devote could miss that.

Because it is not true… duh!

54. so…..are you trying to make “duh!” your new catchphrase?

55. yeah!… duh!

56. LarryFine says:

Nice comeback b … lol.

… what do you care if he is ?

I don’t suppose someone would be able to pull up some of your catchphrases…

57. Wasn’t meant as a comeback – just good natured ribbing.

Actually….I would be interested in a list of my catchphrases.

58. But then that would be

Kooky.

59. And Obama knows he can appeal to the ignorant individuas in the electorate who thinks this way. The high income earners already pay your share of taxes!

60. LarryFine says:

;)

61. The high income earners already pay your share of taxes!

Perhaps they pay your share but, since I pay a higher rate than Buffett does, I think is safe to say I pay my own share.

62. “TMell says:
    August 25, 2011 at 8:55 am
    And Obama knows he can appeal to the ignorant individuas in the electorate who thinks this way. The high income earners already pay your share of taxes!”

No they don’t. I pay my share, otherwise it wouldn’t be my share. Think before commenting.

63. I feel the Taxes paid by all the citizens should be equal in their collection.For example,All citizens should pay 10% of their GROSS INCOME with no deductions what so ever!All other taxes or Fees would be eliminated completely! This would include any taxation that is now imposed on any form of government,be it Local,State or Federal.The Government would be required to live with the money collected in this manner.No other taxation of any kind would be allowed.The Legislatures in all of the States and Federal Government would be required
    to pass a balanced budget every year,with no exceptions!That way the Politicians could no longer spend our Children,Grandchildren and Great Grandchildrens future.

64. Sincere,
    The only thing dumber than a flat tax are the people who support it.

The only reason the Rpots are calling for a balanced budget amendment is because sounds good to their base and the Pols know they will never have to vote on one.