Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TACOMA: Experience does count in teaching

Letter by Jeanine Eshpeter, Puyallup on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:27 am with 16 Comments »
August 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: “Why exempt teachers from cuts?” (letter, 8-17).

The writer seems to believe a 1.9 percent teacher pay cut is warranted during our present recession, and he sees that as an opening for hiring highly qualified recent graduates. However, that does not mean that more “youthful highly motivated” teachers improve test scores nor make better teachers.

Thank goodness school districts recognize that current educators have experience, advanced degrees, desire and enthusiasm to put their students first. Teachers have been without a raise, have larger class sizes, have extra duties assigned and have faced budget cuts for many years and still perform exemplarily. To equate a salary cut and hiring a more youthful work force vs. qualified teachers makes no sense to me.

Tags:
  1. “current educators have experience, advanced degrees, desire and enthusiasm to put their students first” …to say nothing a well-established work ethic which, I’m sad to say, many young people today lack.

2. Rollo_Tomassi says:

If you don’t like your job, quit. That will prove your point.

3. Teachers are NOT supposed to be the kids’ big buddy! They are educated professionals and experience does count! When you go into a doctor’s office – you don’t want Doogie Houser, you want the guy who has had successful experience. And Rollo? If you don’t want the streets rampant with criminals and buffoons out in the workforce – You would either join your kids’ PTsA and/ or support the schools. Telling people to either put up or shut up so that you can cut the profession down to a Mcminimum wage does nothing productive.

4. Would you want your brain surgeon to be “young and motivated” or experienced?

5. newscrap says:

Rollo
    Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the post, did you even read it? He was saying that experienced teachers have much to offer kids and that it would be a mistake to lay them off and hire recent graduates just to save money. He in no way said he did not like his job. But then, don’t let the actual letter interfere with what you wanted to say.

6. Rollo illustrates stoopid nearly every time he/she writes.
    Speed read it and it goes away quickly.

7. Rollo_Tomassi says:

KARDNOS –

When my children need a teacher, we are forced to accept the government provided one at the school district that we live in.

The difference is whether the consumer has choice.

newscrap –
    I don’t subscribe to the believe that all experienced teachers are better than all new teachers. That premise is not true in any other profession and there is no reason to believe it would be true in teaching.

8. commoncents says:

Rollo – you are not forced to accept the government provided one. Most districts allow for choosing alternative schools if the space is available…..

9. “KARDNOS –

When I employ a surgeon, I can choose from a variety surgeons at a variety of hospitals in the region.”

10. Until Obamacare is fully in place maybe.

11. “Obamacare”

I don’t think I’ve seen any legislation called “Obamacare”

Meanwhile…one of many debunks of Conservative fearmongering on health care reform….

12. Rollo_Tomassi says:

commoncents –

“As with the surgeon example…if you are willing to provide your own transportation to/from then you can use any hospital/school that you choose.”

Yes, and as long I chooser a public school that is part of the government monopoly, I don’t have to pay twice.

But if I choose private school, I’m still forced to pay for the public school I don’T use.

13. Rollo_Tomassi says:

KARDNOS –

“Might I suggest when you employ a brain surgeon, you don’t hire a proctologist by mistake because of youth and motivation.”

Gosh KARDNOS – I guess you just won the argument.

14. I’m still forced to pay for the public school I don’T use.

I don’t have children – are you suggesting that I shouldn’t have to pay for public schools?

Recently there was a grass fire that burned over a thousand acres south of the town that I live in – the fire didn’t endanger me or my house – why should I have to pay for it?

15. It takes at least 3 years for new teachers to become effective (I think it hardly a coincidence….after 3 years nearly half of all those who go into the profession leave it).

Then they have built their “bag ‘o tricks” that work.

After about 7 years they start to become stale because their “bag ‘o tricks” has become a tired formula.

They either regenerate and renew or they become formulaic imitations of what used to be inspiration.

Being an experienced teacher isn’t a guarantee that you are good but being a novice pretty much guarantees that you have a lot of learning through mistakes yet to do.

16. sozo – what, exactly, in “obamacare” is going to prevent choice of doctors? Slippery slope arguments don’t count – what in the legislation is going to prevent choice of doctors?