Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

I-1125: Voters care about substance, not personal attacks

Letter by Tim Eyman, Mukilteo on Aug. 8, 2011 at 5:03 pm with 47 Comments »
August 9, 2011 9:32 am

Re: “Bellevue billionaire buys himself an Eyman initiative” (editorial, 8-7).

The News Tribune editorial board opposed last year’s Initiative 1053 making it tougher to raise taxes, so it’s not surprising it opposes this year’s “Son of I-1053″ – Initiative 1125 which resurrects I-1053’s taxpayer-protection policies.

It shows a weak position on your part that you chose not to critique the initiative’s policies but instead spent all your time beating up on its supporters. This same approach was used by the TNT against last year’s I-1053.

How effective was your approach? Sixty-four percent of statewide voters approved I-1053; 1.6 million voters said yes. And in Pierce County, it won 66 percent approval.

The fact is that 1,780 people donated to our initiative, 40,000 people helped collect signatures and 329,000 voters voluntarily signed petitions to put it on the ballot.

Just like with last year’s I-1053, all we’re doing is giving the voters the chance to decide. And we hope they agree with us that politicians in Olympia need to abide by the Constitution and voter-approved laws when taking more of the people’s money.

1. KARDNOS says:

Must be that salary he takes from running initiative campaigns.

Wake up folks, Tim is looking for donors with his “oh poor me” letter.

2. fbergford says:

It sounds like you have some jealousy issues about people making money off of iniatives!

The bums lost Kardnos!

3. SadujTogracse says:

“I’m sure glad Tim has the time and money to spend sending LTEs around the state in defense of his political positions.”

LMAO! Says the person who posts endlessly about said LTEs night and day! Can you say hypocrite?

4. SadujTogracse says:

Great letter Tim! The sad part is all the left-wingers know how to do is make personal attacks. For instance, a local left-wing blog has spent the last 2 days making fun of Michelle Bachmann’s looks. Now what does that have to do with here qualifications for President? These are the same people that play the race card when any conservative criticizes Obama on his political agenda, but yet they are the first ones to make the ACTUAL personal attacks.

5. nice to see your back, saduj

6. alindasue says:

fbergford said, “Kardnos…the 60’s are over bro! Your revolution is over! Condolences! The bums lost! The bums will always lose! Do you hear me Kardnos….the bums will always lose!”

fbergford, You just proved that the headline on this letter, that voters care more about substance than name calling, just doesn’t always hold true… at least, I assume that you are a voter. Aren’t you?

Mr. Eyman said, “It’s clear that voters are more interested in what an initiative does rather than who supports it or opposes it.”

Mr. Eyman,
    As fbergford’s comment above demonstrates so nicely, your statement also does not always ring true. I don’t know how many countless times I have seen the comments: “If Tim Eyman wrote it, I support it.” or “If Obummer (sic) supports it, I’m against it.” Those are not the comments of people who would actually take the time to find out “what an initiative does”.

Those are the comments of people who like your constant barrage of initiatives because they are “anti-tax” and they don’t like paying taxes. You know what? I don’t like paying taxes. I don’t like to spend money grocery shopping either, but sometimes it’s just got to be done if we want to eat.

You speak of I-1125 as being the “Son of I-1053 which resurrects I-1053’s taxpayer-protection policies.” That sounds all nice and noble – except that I-1053 was about requiring a super-majority vote for our legislators to enact any type of action that involves revenue from taxes in any way except to reduce it, while I-1125 regards the administration and use of road tolls. Those are two totally different issues. Calling one the “son” of another serves no purpose other than to convince your following that you are merely continuing last year’s fight, which you are not. Are the other comments to your followers on your site equally as misleading? (Yes, I’ve read your site a few times.)

You know, Mr. Eyman, you are very popular. I’ve heard it suggested by some that you should put your money where your mouth is and run for a legislature seat. I support that idea. In fact, I hope you win. I’d like to see you spend a term in office – to fully experience exactly what goes into creating a state budget.

You might actually be able to affect some positive change from the inside. Who knows? The point is that, for good or ill, you would learn first hand how your initiatives affect the people of this state.

(If you remember, I already discussed with you in another thread why I consider I-1125 to be an irresponsible piece of lawmaking…)

7. KARDNOS says:

Eyman would have to take a cut in pay to run for office

8. fbergford says:

9. alindasue says:

fbergford said, “Alindasue….apparently you don’t have a sense of humor! I suggest you watch The Big Lebowski and you’ll understand my comment!”

Was your comment that I had quoted before to be considered sarcasm?

The problem with quoting a joke from a movie is that only those who have seen the movie can be “in” on the joke. The rest of us are left to just take your comment at face value.

10. SadujTogracse says:

Kard, and what’s your excuse for the more recent picture you posted?

11. Vox_clamantis_in_deserto says:

Bill Gates Sr, the SEIU and I got a good laugh outta’ the hypocritical outrage voiced in that TNT op-ed piece.

12. SadujTogracse says:

I got a good laugh when the initiative that Bill Gates Sr. sponsored went down in flames!

13. KARDNOS says:

The income tax initiative wouldn’t touch you, Saduj

I haven’t posted a picture of me. You must have me confused with someone else. Confusion seems to be a challenge for you.

14. KARDNOS says:

….reading Saduj’s random comments that have nothing to do with the forum reminds me of the last verse of “For What It’s Worth”

15. tree_guy says:

That’s an inspirational LTE, Tim. I’ll be there for you and I imagine most of the right thinking voters here in our area will be there for you too. We owe you a debt of gratitude that can never be completely repaid. Thanks for standing up for the common man.

16. KARDNOS says:

Awwwwww……love is in the air….

17. KARDNOS says:

“Eyman announced this week that he’s collecting signatures on Initiative 1125, which would change Washington law to ban peak-hour tolling”

One more time that Eyman and friends want something for nothing.

Right thinking…..LOL

18. If little timmy is for it, I against it.

19. alindasue says:

xring said, “If little timmy is for it, I against it.”

I’m not automatically against any initiative just because Mr. Eyman (or anyone) wrote or sponsored it. I take the time to read each initiative and judge it on its own merits.

Although, I do have to admit that I have yet to find one of his initiatives that I judge worthy of my support…

20. SadujTogracse says:

I didn’t say it was a picture of you Kard, I said the picture YOU POSTED. The lack of reading comprehension by some is beyond belief.

21. SadujTogracse says:

alindasue, I agree. Every initiative should be voted up or down by what the initiative does, not who sponsored it. I have voted against some Eyman initiatives and for others. Hey, I’m fair and balanced!!!

22. KARDNOS says:

What picture?

23. stetsonwalker says:

Thank you Tim for giving me the opportunity to have a voice in this!

24. taxedenoughintacoma says:

Well said Tim,

Tim, you are a patriot. Hope you got my check. Not as big as Mr. Freeman’s but I will send more when I can.

Thanks for standing up to the liberal political forces and the biased media in this state.

25. truthbusterguy says:

Tim
    You are the David agaist the Goliath of the democrat polital machine, union millions and the liberal biased media beholding to them.

What pisses them off is that you are winning.

I will look for you and your beater blue truck on hwy 16. Keep the fight and remember, ” as long as your are swinging the fight is never over”. Keep swinging for us.

I too will send you a donation.

26. KARDNOS says:

“You are the David agaist the Goliath of the democrat polital machine”

Oh geeeeeeeez…..who didn’t read the story?

Re: “Bellevue billionaire buys himself an Eyman initiative” (editorial, 8-7).

PT Barnum said it right…..

27. alindasue says:

taxedenoughintacoma said, “The Tribune is in the tank with the Dem’s, liberals and unions. They are so biased during your bashing they forget cast a stone at the SEIU that paid 100% of the money to get their idea on the ballot. At least you have many small contributors.”

Just so you know, taxedenough, 100% of that money paid by SEIU came from the political action fund that the union’s members contribute to. This fund is separate from the union dues and is totally voluntary. My personal contribution is $5 per month. With union members earning all of $9-12 per hour, I can assure you that there isn’t a $million donor in the bunch.

I haven’t yet decided how I’m going to vote on SEIU’s I-1163, but I can assure you that it has more “grass roots” supporters and “small contributors” than any of Mr. Eyman’s initiatives ever do.

28. truthbusterguy says:

Lindasue did your union ask you if they could waste your hard earned money of this stupid idea?? If not you should stop wasting your money.

This measure will fail and fail big. The public only needs to learn that this is funded by the group of frauds at the SEIU and they will pull the lever against your socialist leaders.

I hope they spend millions so they don’t have squat left to give to obama.

Lindasue you have hooked your cart to a falling star.

29. Vox_clamantis_in_deserto says:

Who needs a sugar daddy when you got 2.1 million suckers.

30. 2.1 million VOTERS contributing to a cause, versus ONE BILLIONAIRE….

This is a great illustration of what is happening in American politics.

31. I’m amused at “Truthbusters” attack directed at alindasue. When she puts forth the point that SEIU is a grassroots movement, the tack swings faster than a sail in brisk wind – complete with “SOCIALIST”.

32. “taxedenoughintacoma said, “The Tribune is in the tank with the Dem’s, liberals and unions.

I guess someone wasn’t around when McClatchy Newspapers purchased the TNT and dissolved the union labor.

33. Tim takes billionaires money to fund his “initiative” and then says this:

“What it seems to me they’re trying to do is, they’re trying to price poor people out of driving, and only allow rich people to use roads everyone has paid for,” Eyman said.”

That is what is called playing both sides against the middle.

Realize that win or lose, Eyman makes money.

34. alindasue says:

truthbusterguy,

To start off, my name is Alinda, not “Linda”. I’ve told you that many times. Dad’s name was Al (short for Alfred); Mom’s name is Linda. Al+Linda =Alinda. Not so hard to figure out.

The name thing wouldn’t bother me at all if you didn’t immediately refer to myself and other members of the caregivers’ union as a “group of frauds”. You seem to be going out of your way to insult me today… but then what should we expect from a guy who goes by a moniker that means “someone who breaks the truth”?

Your question was: “did your union ask you if they could waste your hard earned money of this stupid idea??”

All money donated to the PAC fund is volunteered donations; so, yes, they did get my permission to use it. The union’s “stupid” ideas come from polling the members and asking them what issue are important to them.

Among the top issues to come from this past year’s surveys were workplace safety and assuring a safe environment for the clients that we care for. Those are the issues that I-1163 deals with. While I have not yet decided if I want to vote for the initiative as it is worded, I do agree with it in principle.

35. Omega6234 says:

Tim,,,
    thank you for having a logical stance on most things and speaking for the little guy. I support this initiative!!

36. LOL – Timmy is for himself and any right wing nut that will pay his price.

37. alindasue says:

Vox_clamantis_in_deserto said, “Maybe not. But with 2.1 Million members, nationally, that is a potential war chest of 10.5 Million per month!

Who needs a sugar daddy when you got 2.1 million suckers.”

2.1 million is only a fraction of 1% of the US population. Only a fraction of that are in the caregivers’ local here in Washington that is sponsoring I-1163. That’s not a lot of people. However, each of those individuals when grouped together can be enough to get the attention of Washington’s voters. That’s how grass roots operations work.

One has to wonder who are the biggest “suckers”:
    people who donate small amounts each month to support the lobbying efforts of union leaders that they voted in to represent them

OR

people who keep sending in their checks to support the self-appointed head of a professional initiative writing factory (churning out 1-3 initiatives per year) – even after learning that he has a “sugar daddy” funding him.

38. Vox_clamantis_in_deserto says:

alindasue and Kardy are either ignoring, or completely missing the point; it matters not whether the special interest(s) behind an initiative (or a measure, for that matter) is an individual or an organization (e.g. a union), their money buys the same thing.

And speaking of unions and money, you are aware that unions spent 35 million in Wisconsin in a recall attempt that failed just yesterday. 35 FREAKING MILLION!!!!!!!!! Ended as a colossal fail. (Insert tiny violin music.)

Gee, I guess I missed that TNT story.

39. taxedenoughintacoma says:

Vox

Alinda, sorry I got your name wrong.

40. It’s a good thing the Tribune won’t publish that story. It’s a crock!

It’s been reprted that the TOTAL spent on the recall was estimated at less than $35 Million. And you’re suggesting that ALL of it was spent by the unions? I call bull.

41. The $35 million that was spend was all inclusive of all races.

Interestingly, $8 million of that was from out of state Conservative interests

Why is taking two seats from the Republicans called “a failure”??????

“taxedenoughintacoma says:
    August 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm
    Vox
    The Tribune won’t print that story. As I said they are in bed, in the tank and carry the water for the unions.”

The same corporation that buried five unions when they bought the TNT???

Please!!!

It’s a Wisconsin story. You clowns will never comprehend news budgets.

42. “Mike McCabe is the executive director of the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, a nonpartisan political watchdog group that tracks campaign money, and he says the amount of money being spent is around $30 million, with $25 million of that coming from outside groups on both sides and $5 million being spent by the candidates. McCabe added the election has been “hijacked” by outside groups from both parties.

“It’s wall-to-wall TV ads. There is a hell of a lot of on-the-ground work at the same time there are air wars,” McCabe said. “We don’t see statewide elections that get this pricey. It’s at least 30 million that has already been spent … and the meter is still running.”

Now….who said $35 million in union money was spent???

Newsmax, of course!

43. aislander says:

alindasue doth protest too much–AND knows far more about the inner workings of lefty political organizations than is healthy for anyone…

44. “While the spending is more or less even, here’s the big difference between the two sides: The left-leaning groups usually disclose their donors, while the right-leaning groups mostly don’t. For McCabe, the geyser of dark money is the big story of the recalls. He says two-thirds of the recall spending derives from undisclosed sources, and he blames the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision for allowing so much anonymous spending.”

45. Remember when Walker was a tough guy? What a difference two seats make:

“Last November, the voters sent a message that they wanted fiscal responsibility and a focus on jobs,” Walker said in a statement. “In our first months in office we balanced a $3.6 billion deficit and our state created 39,000 new jobs. It’s clear the voters also want us to work together to grow jobs and improve our state.

“With that in mind, earlier this evening I reached out to the leadership of both the Republicans and Democrats in the Assembly and State Senate. I shared with them that I believe we can work together to grow jobs and improve our state. In the days ahead I look forward to working with legislators of all parties to grow jobs for Wisconsin and move our state forward.”

Also…..

“Wisconsin state Sen. Dale Schultz
    Remember Dale Schultz? He was the one Republican senator in Wisconsin to vote against Gov. Scott Walker’s anti-worker Budget Repair Bill.

Well, with his Republican Party now clinging to a 17-16 majority in the state Senate, Schultz is now going to be the most popular man in Madison, and de facto majority leader of the Wisconsin Senate, simply by virtue of not being a Scott Walker Republican.

Consider this: If Walker tried to pass something like his last budget again, Democrats would have enough votes in the state Senate to kill the bill outright.

Next target – Walker. January 2012

46. “aislander says:
    August 10, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Yeah…it’s always better to have no knowledge and try to bluff your way through