Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

COHEN: Readers’ comments amount to bullying

Letter by Toni Magelssen, Tacoma on Aug. 8, 2011 at 10:18 am with 14 Comments »
August 8, 2011 10:18 am

Re: “Out of detention, going home” (TNT, 8-6).

I have followed the articles about Tara Ammons Cohen, including her release. I have no opinion one way or another until the conditions of her release are made public.

I read the reader comments online and was appalled; the majority of the comments are what I consider to be bullying. Comments related to her weight and what she eats are, in fact, bullying. I was disgusted by the number of hateful comments to send her back to Mexico.

And we wonder why we have trouble with bullying in our schools. Look at what some parents are teaching their children.

Tags:
  1. itwasntmethistime says:

2. alindasue says:

Thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious. Children learn more from watching the actions of their elders than any “bullying prevention” course we could ever give.

3. TtownMatt says:

I totally agree, unfortunately many of the posters here on the TNT are idiots. They bring nothing intellectual to the table and because they cant think of anything positive to say they resort to name calling and childish remarks. But, its a sign of the times, everyone is a big bad tough guy behind his keyboard.

4. alindasue says:

Itwasntmethistime said, “How is it bullying to say she’s fat and should be sent back to Mexico, when she is, indeed, fat, and a Mexican felon?”

Ms. Cohen was legally adopted by an American family before she was even old enough to talk. She is no more “Mexican” than you or I are. (At least, I assume by your comment that you are not Mexican.)

As for the rest of it, your tone and the tone of the others ganging up here with similar comments would definitely fall under the definition of bullying. Is this the behavior you really want to pass on to the next generation? What if you were the “fat” or otherwise flawed person people were commenting on? Would it still not be bullying then?

5. Who decides what “fat” is?

It’s sort of like an identical twin calling their sibling “ugly”.

6. BlaineCGarver says:

The woman is a liar, and felon…..I’d be more worried about my rep than what idiots call me…..The idiots seem to be correct, too.

7. BlaineCGarver says:

Also, IIRC, she KNEW she was illegal years ago, and did nothing to fix it, You can’t fix stupid. And, no…I don’t think she should be deported or detained.

8. Omega6234 says:

Fat = Fat. Criminal = Criminal.

9. taxedenoughintacoma says:

Now we use the Trbune’s precious ink to defend a fat illegal that should be sent back to Mexico?

Rome is burning and we waste time with this woman. Give her a one way ticket and focus back on the ball.

10. beerBoy says:

Who decides what “fat” is?

Obesity is a term used to describe body weight that is much greater than what is healthy. If you are obese, you also have a much higher amount of body fat than is healthy or desirable.

Adults with a body mass index (BMI, calculated as weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared) between 25 kg/m2 and 30 kg/m2 are considered overweight.

Adults with a BMI greater than or equal to 30 kg/m2 are considered obese.

Anyone who is more than 100 pounds overweight or who has a BMI greater than or equal to 40 kg/m2 is considered morbidly obese.

11. Those who say she ws “illegal”, implying an illegal alien are wrong. She entered he country legally, and was a legal resident of the country. She just wasn’t a citizen.

The question is, was the crime she committed serious enough to deport her to a country where she knows no one, doesn’t speak the language, and hasn’t seen since she was six months old?

Even if you think the answer is ‘yes’, you can express that view without a vicious attack on her.

If you can’t, I’d rather have her in the country, criminal and all, than you.

12. KARDNOS says:

beerBoy…..thanks for the clinical.

I doubt that the person in question fills the bill

13. itwasntmethistime says:

KARD — They’ve shown several photos of her over the past year. It is a fact, not anyone’s opinion, that she is fat. Please note that I don’t think she should be deprted because she is fat. I think she should be deprted because she is a criminal.

Alindasue — Now that’s just silly to say she is no more Mexican than you or I. She was born a Mexican citizen and never became an American citizen, so she is still a Mexican citizen. Totally sucks that she has to move there and she doesn’t know Spanish. I’ll bet she’s wishing she could go back and change her attitude about refusing to update her paperwork.

14. aislander says:

itwasntmethistime writes: “Totally sucks that she has to move there and she doesn’t know Spanish.”

Don’t cry for Tara: Mexico has a very progressive multicultural policy that is inclusive and celebrates diversity to the point of disparaging its own culture…oh, wait: that’s US. Never mind…