Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

SR 16: You can’t moron-proof the Sprague ‘L’

Letter by C.J. Schoonhoven, Tacoma on Aug. 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm with 16 Comments »
August 2, 2011 2:43 pm

How many flashing lights and 15 mph signs does it take to keep the “distracted, incompetent, intoxicated, impulsive, inexperienced” drivers from crashing into the Sprague Avenue off-ramp barriers?

Here’s a plan: Install a video cam at that intersection and revoke the driver’s license of each driver who hits the barrier. Don’t waste any more money trying to stupid-proof this road. Revoke their licenses and impound their vehicles.

Tags:
  1. ValleyTarts says:

Its sheer genius. Culling of county and city workers exiting the highway on their way over to Yakima Avenue.

What we need now is a similar exit off of I-5 in the Olympia area.

Most of the cull would probably be on their cell phones anyway and would be unaware of their demise until too late.

2. LarryFine says:

Has Brian Ebersole tried it out yet ?

3. Yes, there is. Put one of the new electronic bilboards where the ramp ends. Bilboard contract saved, lives saved. Everybody happy.

4. menopaws says:

What happens if it gets icy in the winter????? You design for probabilities— black ice or freezing rain is always a winter factor up here……….Good drivers have accidents too—so let’s be clear. This is like blaming the rape victim for the rape—and guess what, we taxpayers paid a lot of $$$$$ to this rapist……..Looks different when you think of it that way, doesn’t it?

5. igotdabombfool says:

@menopaws

No it doesn’t look any different now. The idiots that can’t navigate this now are still idiots. Yes good drivers have accidents too. Most of them are caused by the idiots. If you truly are a good driver you would drive cautiously on this turn expecting ice and know how to react to it.

6. LarryFine says:

I’ll have to agree with igotdabomb on dis one.

7. larsman says:

Paula Hammond Memorial Off (you) Ramp…

8. menopaws says:

Well, there’s a reason they call it black ice and there are many, many reasons to hire civil engineers who are acquainted with the use of a slide rule……..blaming the victim continues to let Paula Hammond slide for a multitude of bad decisions………Sprague Avenue is only one………when my husband drove underneath it–he reminded me about his Uncle Bob who was a civil engineer in KC and worked on several highway projects….He just laughs and says “Uncle Bob would be firing people for this design”……..People may be morons, but trust me—the engineer who designed this one won’t be including it in his portfolio……..He isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed either…….

9. Consider it evolution in practice – the fit survive, the less fit don’t.

10. Omega6234 says:

Driving is a skill not many have. I dont understand why the weak always have to put the blame on someone else.

11. I thank the design was intended for a grand prix race course and got misfiled with the highway plans.

12. menopaws says:

I have been driving for over 40 years and never had an accident–one speeding ticket in the 1980’s–so I am a good driver by my insurance company standards………..but, bad design is bad design—–and I don’t plan on playing victim…….but, if I hit some black ice or get hit by someone who misses that turn–trust me, I am NOT letting the idiot who drew this up off the hook…………Sometimes you just have to call out the stupid and quit making excuses for it…..Both drivers and civil engineers who graduated in the bottom half of their class—-which, I believe are the only ones our State hires………the “stupid” driver doesn’t need to pass an IQ test to get their license—-how about the design engineer??? We shouldn’t give government a buy when they build a death trap……..Innocent victims may NOT be morons—got it?

13. Omega6234 says:

All i hear are excuses. If you cant drive on black ice then dont drive when its below freezing. Is this hard to understand?? Why do the weak always make excuses??? And how are you going to get hit by someone missing that turn??? Planning on a picnic underneath the off ramp??

14. itwasntmethistime says:

When I was a teenager I told my Mom my brakes were wearing out. She told me to slow down and don’t follow so close. I believe those same principles I learned 25 years ago will still apply today.

15. menopaws says:

Well, some people don’t have the option to stay home………And, as Uncle Bob in KC always used to say……..You design for safety first………..So, I don’t find it appealing to blame any driver who gets nailed on this mess. Thinking this design is okay is just ridiculous—-the WSDOT crowd cheerleaders need to remember that if they get away with one bad design—more, many more will follow……..I personally, plan NEVER to drive in that stupid tunnel along the Seattle waterfront-I don’t trust WSDOT to design much of anything with competence……..So, when a truck doesn’t make that turn on Sprague and falls over the rail injuring people driving down below—remember your fealty to the incompetent

16. sthompso says:

What speed do the complainers think it should be engineered for: 25, 35, 45 or 55? The faster you go the more room it takes and the more expensive it is.