Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

CATS: Owners need to protect wildlife

Letter by Dana W. Burt, Tacoma on Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:53 pm with 19 Comments »
August 1, 2011 12:53 pm

The News Tribune recently published two articles regarding adopting cats. I feel that the articles were irresponsible in their lack of information regarding protecting at-risk wildlife from cats.

I have always had three bells on my cat because I was sick of her bird kills. I also always paid to register her and have a tag on that collar. I have seen no other owners in my neighborhood engaging in such “bird maybe safe” and civilly responsible actions.

On the same day as the cat adoption article was published, there was, in the “No Kidding” feature, a statistic that stated that “500 million birds are killed in America by cats every year.”

Tags:
  1. surething says:

Better yet, keep your cat inside.

2. nonstopjoe says:

Even better, don’t get a cat. Your furniture will benefit big time.

3. Omega6234 says:

even better,, quit trying to keep your cats from doing something instinctual. Idiot Letter writer. Next tell them to not be so lazy… or to stop shedding… or maybe trained to mow the lawn.

4. In England people who keep cats indoors are social outcasts.

5. Bells around the neck, really? Try this, take a bell outside and ring it, see how many birds fly away…go ahead, I’ll wait…

6. alindasue says:

sb963 said, “Bells around the neck, really? Try this, take a bell outside and ring it, see how many birds fly away…go ahead, I’ll wait…”

If the cat does walk close enough, it does make the birds aware that something is there… at least, it does until the cat learns how to walk in such a way that the bell doesn’t ring.

The best way to keep birds safe from cats (or other predators) is to place your bird feeder out of the predators’ reach.

7. stetsonwalker says:

Keep your cat in? Did you know that the lack of cats to kill mice and rats were a main cause of the plague?

8. tree_guy says:

No amount of bell ringing will save some helpless chicks which are still in the nest and incapable of escape. Dana, why don’t you keep your cats in the house if you’re really concerned with wildlife?

9. aislander says:

I wasn’t aware there was a shortage. The number of birds seems to expand to fill the available niches.

10. aislander says:

Seriously, has no one else lived on a farm, or do we all have a Sesame Street perception of the real world?

11. Rollo_Tomassi says:

Carnivorous cats attack and eat wildlife, and the letter writer is surprised?

…sigh

12. bobcat1a says:

Dana, if you read the comments here more often you would realize that we have a lot of people here who could not care less if the last bird on earth was gone. Of course, then they would whine about all the bugs.

13. aislander says:

I don’t care about the cost: if it saves just one bird, it’s worth it!
    The preceding brought to you by the Liberal Institute for Cost-Benefit Analysis

14. madmike272 says:

I make the best of both world, I have a bird feeder only six inches off the ground, making it a bird feeder/cat feeder!

15. wildcelticrose says:

I keep my (now 11 years old) cat indoors for many reasons.

Indoor cats live longer than cats who roam outdoors (who are subject to predation, getting hit by cars, injured in fights, abused/poisoned by people who don’t like cats, and exposed to parasites and diseases), and they don’t annoy the neighbors by using their yards/gardens as a litter box.

My bird feeders are set up in locations where she can watch and chatter at them to her heart’s content (“Kitty TV”) she has lots of room to run, a screened porch to sit on and get fresh air and plenty of cat toys.

Keeping her inside (and entertained) seems to be a winning situation for her, the neighbors and the birds.

16. itwasntmethistime says:

This morning I witnessed a family of robins pulling defenseless earthworms out of my lawn. It was shocking. Sniff. Sniff. Who wants to be in charge of putting bells around all the birds’ necks?

17. BlaineCGarver says:

Feral cats should disappear somehow. Pets should be kept inside. Most creatures are all something’s dinner. Get over it. Walt Disney sure screwed up a lot of kids minds as to the reality of Mother Nature.

18. aislander says:

There was a large number of feral cats where I live, including one bully who made a circuit for the purpose of beating the crap out of domestic cats, but there still seemed to be plenty of birds. Then came the coyotes…

19. beerBoy says:

All life is based in killing (and eating) other life (unless you are capable of photosynthesis). If you want a pet that doesn’t kill then get a hamster or some other vegetarian.

Balance in nature requires predators for population control. Predators tend to kill the weak and diseased – keeping the population healthier.

I don’t feed the birds as I don’t think it right to give my cat an advantage by enticing his prey into easy striking distance…..but, if he can do it on his own – great!