The Top 10 reasons not to support electronic billboards:
1. Peeling billboards better reflect Tacoma’s peeling image.
2. Tons of old billboard paper will fill unsightly landfills quicker.
3. No one cares about Tacoma being a “wired city” anymore.
4. We’re rather fond of the 178 billboards Clear Channel agreed to remove.
5. Wrap-around bus ads are more attractive and less distracting.
6. Nonprofit agencies should buy more expensive TV ads instead.
7. Nobody really cares about supporting local businesses.
8. People might think they’re drive-in movie theaters, creating parking hazards.
9. They will distract from electronic signs already being used by businesses.
10. We prefer to wait and hear about Amber Alerts on the nightly news.
With sensible guidelines on size, location, density, brightness, motion and refresh rates, electronic billboards just make sense. We may even (gasp!) see our own Tacoma City Council members using them for election.