Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

FOURTH: Celebrate freedom by breaking the law?

Letter by Barbara A. Hoover, Graham on July 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm with 30 Comments »
July 8, 2011 5:13 pm

It seems wrong that so many people celebrate the Fourth of July, our Constitution and our freedom by lighting off illegal fireworks.

If it’s illegal, you don’t have an right to do it.

Thank you to the citizens who choose to go to one of the public fireworks displays in the area. And thank you to those who only use the legal ones.

1. What a cruel irony it is that the Native Americans who are usually always portrayed as being so kind and caring about Mother Nature”s creatures are the very ones who supply the thoughtless people who terrorize our pets and wildlife every year at this time..

2. Kevindot1 says:

Aren’t fireworks legal in Graham?

3. denismenis says:

The bottom line is that the Holiday has become a ruse to be reckless in lieu of honoring freedom.

4. Misunderestimated says:

No one is complaining about legal fireworks.
    Every complaint I have made or seen has been about the idiots firing off the illegal fireworks at all hours of the night

5. ItalianSpring says:

Sorry Barb- but the 4th of July comes once a year and I am more than willing to tolerate it rather than have the date forgotten and diminshed by America hating liberals. My animals have to just deal with it and that’s the way it is.

6. TacWriter says:

The problem is it is not just one night. If it was, most would not complain. On the eastside, it started mid June and as of July 8th, they are still setting off explosions. A month of m-80s is enough.

7. TacWriter says:

PS How is wanting to follow the laws of America makes you a anti-American liberal?! This has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with courtesy. Are you saying liberals are more law abiding?

8. WarmNfuzziOne says:

Let’s see…

The 4th is a celebration of our Independence, a matter of breaking laws deemed unjust and oppressive…that makes firing off illegal fireworks very appropriate.

Do people who write letters to the editor realize that they let some through because of the incredible irony involved?

9. nwcolorist says:

“The problem is it is not just one night. If it was, most would not complain.”

Not true. The complainers would continue to complain about until every last firework, legal and illegal, was confiscated and destroyed.

10. beerBoy says:

What a cruel irony it is that the Native Americans …. are the very ones who supply the thoughtless people who terrorize our pets and wildlife every year at this time..

Think about it for a second Lyle….just how happy would you be to celebrate the Independence of your country from your ancestors to colonizers?

And…..gee, I thought you were one of those “individual responsibility” guys…why blame the salesman for responding to the demand? And….are you saying that selling the product makes the salesman responsible for irresponsible use of the product? Really?

Or are you just finding a way to post something negative about an ethnic group you don’t like?

11. Objective says:

“Celebrate Freedom by Breaking the Law”. What the heck is that supposed to mean? If we were “Free” to celebrarte, it would not be illegal.

Hoover States:”And these fireworks and/or explosives are scaring people, livestock and pets. A lot of illegal fireworks are so loud and distracting they prevent people from sleeping who need to get up early and go to work. What about their rights?”

Sorry but you need to have money to buy fireworks. I would be willing to bet the majority of those who set off fireworks, have jobs and do have to get up in the morning also. What about their rights? Heck Hoover wants to complain about those 4 or so nights a year. Imagine her neighbors have to put up with her year around. Give them a break!!!!

12. madmike272 says:

God, what a bunch of hand-wringing crybabies. go to your shrinks and cry to them. I don’t want to hear it!

13. I agree, madmike272. When did they become such inconsiderate children that they’ll whine and cry just because there are people living in their neighborhoods who don’t share their fascination for sudden loud noises?

14. Inconsiderate people are idiots. Yesterday, the 9th of July I had to go tell a neighbor to knock offf the stupidity. The real blame belongs on those people who will sit by meekly and not say or do something. I do not allow myself to fall into this category. I’ve called 911 and personally confronted the inconsiderate douchebags and I will continue to do so. According to the sheriff’s office it is illegal to use fireworks after the 4th of July. I checked with them because one clown tried to tell me it is still legal. I don’t mind dialing 911 at anytime to get my message across.

15. So…..It’s Parkland’s way or the highway.

Unless one causes harm Parkland sees no reason to enforce the law.

“axe?” Did you mean ask?

16. Parkland says:

Polago: “Unless one causes harm Parkland sees no reason to enforce the law.”

_Everything_ can be harmful at some point. Each year, millions are spent on fireworks, millions of fireworks are lit, and one or two idiots loses a finger.

By the way, who’s pulling your strings? That’s the second time in two days that I’ve seen the “your way or no way” mantra. Must suck to be a puppet.

17. frosty – glad to know one of the “taxes are too high” folks is not above wasting taxpayer paid resources (the police) because his neighbors are annoying. And – calling 911 for a non-emergency is a crime.

18. leave it to beerBoy to play the race card when he doesn’t have anything relevant to add to the discussion.

So, Beer, are you saying that illegal drug dealers should not be blamed for just distributing their goods?.

19. concernedtacoma7 says:

BB- nice play on ‘white guilt’.

You know what, some of my relatives lost land, their lives, and property about 400 years ago in France. Who should I hate? Declare reparations from?

When does it end? The tribes fought themselves and stole land, just like all battles throughout time. We won. Our goodness has provided more to the losing side than any other victor. When an indian battle was lost to another tribe, they became slaves. Where is your outrage? Where are you waving the flag saying the USA stopped that long established practice.

20. None of the natives today were around in the 19th century when the land changed hands.

And none of the British colonizers who declared independence are around either – yet we still celebrate what they did and how it has benefited us.

21. “lylelaws says:
    July 8, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Maybe it’s time for them to police their own ranks and prove that they really do care by practicing what they preach.”

What a cruel irony it is that a “free market” Conservative isn’t recognizing that 95% of the people buying from the Indians are caucasian. Are they suddenly responsible for the buyers activities? No. The buyers should use the fireworks away from bothering pets and wildlife. If you want to stop the Indians from selling…DON’T BUY FROM THEM

22. Misunderestimated says:

Kardnos says: “The buyers should use the fireworks away from bothering pets and wildlife.”
    A simple sentence that clearly defines the differences between those idiots insisting on shooting off their illegal fireworks in residential areas, and their neighbors who grow weary of putting up with these wannabe crackerheads and their childish forays for weeks every summer.

23. Objective says:

Frosty needs to call 911 and report some of the people and their comments here.

24. lyle – you were the first poster – and you were the one to pull the “race card” – I just responded.

25. Beerboy, disturbing the peace is a crime. Cops are getting paid whether they are running a speed trap or ticketing idiots who do not know that the 4th of July, not the 11th of July is a National holiday. If a cop is driving around on patrol, which is what most of them are doing, how is it costing more money to ask them to enforce the law? If you consider unlawful use of fireworks a “non-emergency” crime, would you also consider burglary, shop lifting, car-jacking etc “non-emergency crime”? Wake up dude.

26. Just to clarify my reasoning for the dislike that I have for the fools who continue to break the law. As I’ve said before, I am a dog lover. I have a Shi Chu / Yorkie that I consider the cutest dog in the world. The only problem is that she is scared to death of fireworks. I could tolerate one day of fireworks (the 4th of July). But when they last for almost two weeks, that’s over-kill to me. This year I had the vet give me some medication for my dog, I kept her sedated for three days. On the night of the 4th, I actually had to put her in the car and drive around trying to find some peace, with no success. Call me overly protective or whatever you want, but I care for my pets and I always have. I despise people who couldn’t care less about other people or their pets.

27. Parkland says:

Okay, now I remember why I hardly ever come back here anymore, they delete comments for no apparent reason.

28. If you consider unlawful use of fireworks a “non-emergency” crime, would you also consider burglary, shop lifting, car-jacking etc “non-emergency crime”?

frosty – you have slipped even further from reality.

29. Short trip.

30. Great come-back b.b.!! Your echo chamber, (polago) is equally as brilliant.