We voters have no progressive alternative because corporations own both political parties. So here’s a progressive platform for 2012. Now where’s the candidate?
• Cut military spending in half. Bring home the troops.
• Rid politics of private money and institute public campaign financing.
• Link educational reform to the green economy. Make sustainability the basis of our public school curriculum. Inspire students to develop clean energy technologies and lifestyles of environmental harmony.
• Extend the 7 percent FICA withholding tax to all earned income, funding Medicare for every citizen. This will grow new jobs and businesses because entrepreneurs won’t need to provide health insurance for their families and employees.
• Stop lying about Social Security; it is solvent. Just don’t rob it to pay debts.
• Use tax incentives to promote worker-owned cooperatives as an alternative to corporations.
• Drop the international banking cartel and the Federal Reserve. Create a network of publicly chartered, nonprofit, regional banks and credit unions. Credit should be a public utility.
• End agribusiness subsidies. Instead, subsidize a network of local, organic, family-owned farms.
• Renounce the two big lies of Reaganomics. Wealth does not trickle down to create American jobs. A nation must tax its wealth to survive.
• Stimulate job growth by ending the Bush tax cuts. Use the revenue to rebuild America’s crumbling infrastructure: bridges, pipelines, electrical grids, wind farms, rural high-speed broadband and high-speed rail lines. Sub-contract local entrepreneurs, giving priority to green technology.
Let’s stop playing games. Real change is possible.