Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

BIN LADEN: Reward should go to the military

Letter by Dennis J. Montgomery, Tacoma on May 9, 2011 at 10:45 am with 21 Comments »
May 9, 2011 10:45 am

I am a retired and disabled Vietnam vet. With the recent death of Osama bin Laden, some people are suggesting the $50 million reward for his death be distributed among the people impacted by 9/11. If that happens, I am moving to Austria.

Those people have already been awarded with countless thousands or even millions of dollars.We should stop being bleeding hearts and somehow reward the people who are losing life and limb in pursuit of victory and peace in the world for a meager monthly paycheck: the soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen. They deserve the credit for all these peace-pursuing actions.

I realize this money probably cannot be handed directly to them, but I bet Veterans Affairs could help them find peace in a time of havoc. Award the money to the VA to be directed to the soldiers and families impacted by the Iraq and Afganistan wars.

Tags:
  1. What about the unsung heroes who did all the research via computer to locate him? My point? Certainly our soldiers and vets have been let down by our country and they deserve more. But lets be clear, nobody forced you to sign up for warfare and the soldiers know full well the risks they take once they are in the military. But there is a difference when a soldier jumps out of a plane armed with a parachute as opposed to the victims who jumped 100 stories out of the buildings to their deaths without a parachute. Or what about the passengers on the plane who fought without guns? Our soldiers and vets deserve honor and to live out their days with security and comfort. But it is sickening to hear a rant that borders on entitlement to the reward monies as if you are a hired gun. What country’s law will you uphold? The one that pays the most?

2. frita, did you serve in the military? I think I know the answer to that.

3. “frita, did you serve in the military? I think I know the answer to that”

—–

If you can’t refute the message, attack the messenger.

4. beerBoy says:

a meager monthly paycheck

Which is exactly what they signed on for…..

peace-pursuing actions.

Conducting an assassination mission is “peace-pursuing”…..I say potato you say potahto.

5. Olemag says:

$50. Million would just about bring Madigan and the American Lake complex up to acceptable medical standards.

6. xtp855 says:

Why would the reward be paid out in the first place?

7. Are you suggesting that killing bin Laden will not ensure at least a measure of peace for those he will now be unable to target and kill bBoy?

I am inclined to disapprove of capital punishment for a variety of reasons, but I’m not so naive as to miss the reality that say, Ted Bundy, will never again be able to brutally victimize another young woman. And before you say he could have been locked away for life, don’t forget he escaped from custody at least once, maybe twice.

The pursuit of peace sometimes means going to war, though I realize this is hard for a pacifist to grasp. Pursuing peace may result in conflict within communities and families…Jesus Christ assured us that HE came to disturb the peace, and he did just that.

You’re a college professor; surely you appreciate the paradox tucked inside every truth?

8. OlderGuy says:

Actually, I was thinking it would have been pretty funny to give it to Al-Zawahiri (#2 Al Qaeda). Can you imagine what the conversation in their camp would have been like the next day?

9. Rollo_Tomassi says:

@OlderGuy

That’s Brilliant!

10. KARDNOS says:

Dennis – as a retired and disabled veteran, if you are not being taken care of, it’s because Republicans love to use your benefit money as a political football. It is the shame of our country.

11. starsandstripes says:

Yes, I: served in the military (28yrs), the Middle East, am a disabled vet, not a R. Those that took down Bin Laden did what they are trained and paid to do. Hopefully, anyone in uniform would have done the same, if given the opportunity. (I am in no way diminishing what our Spec Ops professionals did/do.) But since they can’t get the money, wouldn’t we all be better served if the $$ went to the national debt?

12. Obvious you didn’t pay attention to the end of desert storm. The Kuwaiti government offered to give bonuses to those who helped free Kuwait from Iraq. The government responded with no the military are not hired mercenaries. So you can expect them not to give it to Seal team 6. Beside I promise you the fact that there government gave them the opportunity to be a part of killing Bin-Laden will be very rewarding to the guys.

13. beerBoy says:

the military are not hired mercenaries

That’s what Xe (formerly known as Blackwater) is for!

14. Good point….I recently discovered that the “lifetime medical care” I was promised as a veteran is now gone…Apparently having served through most of the 1970s and having been honorably discharged is not veteran enough…

I wasnt asking for much…simply wanted to get checked out to be sure the Agent Orange I handled wasnt making me glow in the dark.

Understandably the monies are prioritized according to disability as it should be…but to provide NOTHING …not even so much as a simple check-up?

15. Historically, any nation, state, or government that relied on mercenaries fell, usually to their very own mercenaries.

16. KARDNOS, “what does your peace time station in Germany have to do with the Bin Laden capture/killing?. Answer: Nothing, but I’m willing to admit that since my last tour to Germany ended in 1972. Now KARDNOS, what role did you play in defending your country as an A1 draft eligable draft dodger, or your job running coffee errands for people at the the News Tribune? Oh, before I forget, say hi to Eric for me.

17. “eligible”. corrected for the benefit of KARDNOS. When I misspelled frida as “frita, it must of been because I was thinking of “Fritos” after reading her/his comment. Oh, before I forget, say hi to Eric for me.

18. KARDNOS says:

“frosty says:
    May 10, 2011 at 8:33 am
    KARDNOS, “what does your peace time station in Germany have to do with the Bin Laden capture/killing?. Answer: Nothing, but I’m willing to admit that since my last tour to Germany ended in 1972. So, frosty, you avoided the draft to get stationed in Europe during the Vietnam war, as opposed to being drafted and assured combat duty.

Now KARDNOS, what role did you play in defending your country as an A1 draft eligable draft dodger, or your job running coffee errands for people at the the News Tribune? Well, frosty, I was available for the draft and I didn’t hide behind a desk job in Europe. While I was working, I was paying taxes that assured you a cushy job in Germany while my friends were in combat in SE Asia.

What’s a “coffee errand”? Sounds like something a non-com does for the brass. I supervised the loading dock for awhile, and delivered ad copy to the people that paid the bills at the newspaper.

19. KARDNOS says:

frosty – if you paid attention, I said “Hi” to Admiral Olson in the news story about him. I’m certain that he reads his hometown newspaper online. I wasn’t aware that you knew him, as you didn’t comment on his story.

20. Although I don’t consider you as a friend, I’m kind of selective about who I choose as a friend, I do appresiate you paying taxes to support me while I served two tours in Viet Nam. Again, you highlight the point that you had “friends” serving in the military. What happened to you? Oh, right I forgot, you went off and got married. chuckle chuckle.

21. KARDNOS, I don’t know Eric, I do respect him and all that he has done for this country. Too bad that one of his classmates decided to run off and hide instead of signing up.