Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

OBAMA: Birthers need to get real

Letter by G. Owen Ray, Allyn on April 21, 2011 at 11:24 am with 89 Comments »
April 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Let’s say the rumors about President Obama’s non-American birth came up before the election (which they did), and let’s say they came to the attention of the White House watchdog, Vice-President Dick Cheney (which I’m sure they did).

Now, you’re the party in control of the country’s entire government resources, and somebody delivers a political morsal like that?

That rumor has been long ago vetted six ways to Sunday by the party in control. And I’m sure the potential for a paper trail embarrassment over the results was considered and addressed (read buried).

And, I think the potential for a Republican admission of that is about as far-fetched as Cheney also turning over his appointment calendar for his days at Halliburton. Or the Nixon missing tapes being found, or Clinton’s executive office daily diary being discovered.

Tags:
  1. Cellular coyote is howling at the edge of Obama’s fingerprints.

2. What I find really funny is that none of this would have come up at all if you democrats didn’t play such dirty politics. It was disgruntalled Hillary suporters who started this rumor in the first place. Now your all upset because it won’t go away. Gee I’m really sorry for your unhappiness. Next election try sticking to the facts.

3. It was disgruntalled Hillary suporters who started this rumor in the first place.

And, being reality based, they realized that there was no there there and let go of it.

4. Fibonacci says:

olmdan4
    You are so right, next election we should stick to facts except the GOP never deals in facts, they deal in lies and fear.

5. Some disgruntled Hillary supporters started it and dropped it.

Three years later, over 50% of the GOP still believe it.

What’s THAT say?

6. Come on people we all know Hillary suporters could never be wrong or mis state a fact. It must be true they said so. Show me the birth certificate.

7. Hey Fabonacci if it’s fact you want then man up and admit this story was never fact and the lie as you call it was started as a lie by you know who. Yes that’s right the left.

8. The birthers are racists hiding behind a birth cert.

The far right needed something, anything to hide thier racists hate and this is what they picked.

9. Hey Oldman – which one in the video is you?

As far as “disgruntled Hillary supporters”, who said they were “left”???? My experience is that Hillary supporters were Republicans that couldn’t stomach any of the GOP candidates and were mad as hell at Obama for winning the nomination.

10. Oldman – 0:59 in the video?

11. Yes Hilary supporters were republicans and Palin supporters were democrats and you KARDNOS are rediculous.

12. Ridiculous is the inability to spell “ridiculous”.

Meanwhile, if you were paying attention during the 2008 primaries, you would have seen that many Republican women were skewing towards Hillary (they are not all redneck cousins with their husbands) and thus, the GOP picked Palin to try to pull them across once Obama was the nominee.

As you see, it didn’t work. Palin had no appeal to moderate Republicans.

I’m sure this is a little deeper than “He was born in Kenya”, but some of us really study politics.

13. Here, Oldman….

a taste of what you can find when you look.

From CNN, circa 2008:

(CNN) – Are some of Mississippi’s Republicans trying to cause mischief? Thirteen percent of the voters in today’s Democratic primary identified themselves as Republican; they voted for Clinton, 78 percent to 22 percent. And 37 percent of the Democratic primary voters have a favorable opinion of John McCain; this group also went for Clinton, 62 percent to 37 percent.

14. Oh…and it wasn’t racial………::::::eyeroll:::::::::::

15. taxedenoughintacoma says:

16. “taxedenoughintacoma says:
    April 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm
    obama can make this all go away by showing us his real birth certificate. And I don’t mean the certificate of live birth that you can get from a mexican at the drive in swap meet.”

Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaawd…..even Michelle Bachmann gets it…why can’t you?

17. “you can get from a mexican at the drive in swap meet.”

But it’s not a racial issue…..

18. Here, “taxed”….just to assist you, because I’m guessing that research and reading aren’t your strong points:

Stephanopoulos: Well I have the president’s certificate right here. It’s certified, it’s got a certification number. It’s got the registrar of the state signed. It’s got a seal on it. And it says ‘this copy serves as prima facie evidence of the fact of birth in any court proceeding.’

Bachmann: Well, then that should settle it.

Stephanopoulos: So it’s over?

Bachmann: That’s what should settle it. I take the president at his word and I think- again I would have no problem and apparently the president wouldn’t either. Introduce that, we’re done. Move on.

Stephanopoulos: Well this has been introduced. So this story is over?

Bachmann: Well as long as someone introduces it I guess it’s over.

Stephanopoulos: It’s right there.

Bachmann: Yeah, there you go. Because that is not the main issue facing the United States right now.

19. How long will these people continue to make fools of themselves?

20. “Is there something to it, based on what you have heard?” Chris Matthews fished. “Is there any question that our president isn’t legitimate?”

“From my viewpoint, obviously not, because I never bring it up,” Ron Paul, the Republican congressman from Texas replied. “So I’m going to leave it to talk show hosts and to Donald Trump, and let you guys argue it out.”

21. SadujTogracse says:

LOL, watching Kardnos trying to analyze a political campaign is like watching Michael Moore trying to explain the importance of sticking to a diet!

22. “Citizenship Through Parents

Whether someone born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents is a U.S. citizen depends on the law in effect when the person was born.

These laws have changed over the years, but usually require a combination of at least one parent being a U.S. citizen when the child was born and having lived in the U.S. or its possessions for a period of time.

Seeing that Barack Obama’s mother was a citizen of the US and lived in the US for a period of time, we now know that:

1. The Birthers are just plain ignorant about the Constitution and laws.
    2. The Birthers are racists.
    3. Both of the above.

23. Michael Moore lost 70 lbs. He could probably lose some more weight.

Ignorance, on the other hand is usually terminal because the patient’s denial of their illness gets in the way of recovery.

24. Not that it will change any “birthers” opinion, but I have seen a copy
    of his birth certificate and a picture of him graduating from HS.
    Also have a friend who lived next door to his parents when he was a baby.

25. LarryFine says:

“you’re the party in control of the country’s entire government resources”

Ummmm… no, the congress… the democrat party controls the senate and the house… b ut you already knew that… or not.

26. I wonder if there is a correlation between birthers and deniers? I don’t wonder much.

27. ItalianSpring says:

Forget the birth issue. Obomba’s real problem is his citizenship. While living in Indonesia he went to state schools, which is not allowed by aliens who are not citizens of the country. This means that at some point he was (and probably still is) a citizen of Indonesia. Furthermore, when he later attended college in the US (and got lousy grades by the way) he did it by receiving foreign student aid from the USA which he could only qualify for if he was…….you guessed it-NOT a citizen of the USA. Unlike Obomba, I became a citizen of the USA at age 18 and have a certificate of US citizenship to prove it. Yet, the law still forbids me from becoming president. Just like it does Pharoh Obomba.

28. Kar-noise wrote:

Bachmann: Well, then that should settle it.

Stephanopoulos: So it’s over?

Stephanopoulos: Well this has been introduced. So this story is over?

Bachmann: Well as long as someone introduces it I guess it’s over.

Stephanopoulos: It’s right there.

Thank-you for making the point that it’s the Dems that are obsessing over this birth certificate stuff. Some joker who’s running for president (Trump) brought it up and now the libs want to hash it over and over. Trump is a joke to the nation. Keep in mind that this is the same guy who has filed bankruptcy how many times so we are going to have him run a nation that is headed toward bankruptcy–don’t think so. He won’t make it past the first round of primaries.

In the interview with Trump & Stephanopoulos it was Stephy who brought it up and badgered Trump about it and obviously badgered Bachmann about it. How many times does she say it’s done and over: 4—but ol’ Stephy can’t just move on to other topics. This is typical liberal garbage media tactics

By the way, Kar-noise, just because we don’t agree with someone of another race doesn’t me we are racist. It means we don’t agree. Nothing more, nothing less. Get over yourself, you are an embarrassment to the liberals.

29. pazzo242 says:

Kar-noise, as for your racist accusations here’s one for you. Have you listened to Rep Allen B. West. Here’s a man of integrity and is as (if not more) articulate then the jerk in the Oval Office right now. Here’s a man who has lead others in the military and now doing a great job in Congress. Here’s a man who should run for President and push the liberal media limelight away from the idiot Trump.

My support has NOTHING to do with his color but instead his qualifications to be President. My dislike for Obama is the exact same reason.

30. So now backwards Snail is claiming that forward Snail is a multiple screen name…..almost as weird as the birther nonsense.

31. princessnancy says:

Nothing will ever convince me that this guy is an American citizen.

32. That would be the Allen B. West who avoided a formal court martial by paying a $15,000 fine, has faced numerous liens for unpaid taxes, three liens were placed on his home for unpaid bills, a judge ordered West to pay over $5,000 for past-due credit card bills. If that is what passes for “integrity” amongst the Christian Right they must really be high on forgiveness.

33. princessnancy confirms that she is completely in a delusional state that cannot be challenged by fact.

34. LarryFine says:

Not paying taxes and poor financial management scored how many democrats jobs in this whitehouse ???

35. ItalianSpring says:

Larry- You beat me to it! LOL

36. “obviously badgered Bachmann about it”

I was waiting for this. Stephanopolis did what a reporter is supposed to do when the interviewee tries to avoid a question.

Let me guess. Katy Couric tricked Sarah Palin by asking her a fluff question like “what do you read”.

37. I know, I know….it’s about Obama’s policies.

That is why you claim he is not an American citizen.

I don’t like Sarah Palin’s policies. That means she was born in South Africa

38. “Have you listened to Rep Allen B. West.”

Sadly, yes.

39. To Larry/IS who? So….the tax avoidance is a talking point to complain about the Dems but somehow it magically makes it OK for a Repub? Care to explain how that is consistent?

40. Vox_clamantis_in_deserto says:

KARDNOS says:

”How long will these people continue to make fools of themselves?”

Depends on who you mean by ”these people”. In some circles that would be a racial slur. But we know cybil is not racial… right?

41. “SadujTogracse says:
    April 21, 2011 at 10:36 pm
    I wonder if there is a correlation between Kardnos, IndependentVoltaire, X_6zero, and JudasEscargot?”

You left out “OldLefty” which you cloned by substituting a capital “I” for a lower case “L”, sort of like you did with Independent.

I’ll probably change again soon, just so that you’ll whine about that too.

42. “These people”

Let’s see, we had a reading lesson yesterday, I guess I can afford to provide one today”

These –
    (used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., referring to the one nearer in place, time, or thought; opposed to that )
    (used to indicate a person, place, thing, or degree as present, near, just indicated or mentioned, or as well-known or characteristic): These people are my friends. This problem has worried me for a long time.

People –
    persons, whether men, women, or children, considered as numerable individuals forming a group

43. “While serving in Taji, Iraq, West received information from an intelligence specialist about a reported plot to ambush him and his men.[11] The alleged plot reportedly involved Yahya Jhodri Hamoodi, a civilian Iraqi police officer.[11] West, who was not responsible for conducting interrogations in Iraq and had never conducted or witnessed one, had his men detain Hamoodi.[11] Hamoodi was beaten by four of his soldiers from the 220th Field Artillery Battalion on the head and body.[12] West then fired his pistol near Hamoodi’s head.[11] Hamoodi then provided West with names and information, what Hamoodi later described as “meaningless information induced by fear and pain.”[11] At least one suspect was arrested as a result, but no plans for attacks or weapons were found.[11] West said “At the time I had to base my decision on the intelligence I received. It’s possible that I was wrong about Mr. Hamoodi.”

Just what we need for President. “Here’s a man of integrity”

44. I guess, according to Nancy, Barack Obama’s mother wasn’t a citizen of the US.

Take a nice long look Nancy. You might be a star.

45. “In some circles that would be a racial slur”

People with one foot stuck on the floor go around in small circles

46. SadujTogracse says:

“beerBoy says:
    April 22, 2011 at 5:47 am
    So now backwards Snail is claiming that forward Snail is a multiple screen name…..almost as weird as the birther nonsense.”

Well considering he just admitted it that would make the birthers correct, and you wrong again.

Ah yes, OldLefty, how could I forget that one?

47. I_S – Indonesia state schools only for citizens – and you know this is true because???

Pazzo – Allen B. West – you mean the guy who thinks he has a higher security clearance than the President? And whose campaign manager publicly state in her candidate didn’t win at the ballot box there was 2nd amendment solutions

48. ItalianSpring says:

What xring? No daily koz info to back up your doubts?

49. Roncella says:

50. Fibonacci says:

roncella
    Why should he? Just because some whackos claim he is not a US citizen why should he play into their game? the birthers are nut jobs and should be ignored. Have you seen Bohner’s birth certificate?

51. Roncella says:
    April 22, 2011 at 9:57 am
    G.Owen, President Obama can end all this birther stuff, by producing his actual Birth Certificate, but won’t, Why won’t he ??”

Uh…Roncella….it’s reading class time again….

“Additionally, children born outside the United States may become citizens after birth based on their parent’s citizenship or naturalization.”

It would appear that your question is about Obama’s mother, not Obama. There is no reason to question Obama’s place of birth since his mother was a citizen of the US. Even the most ardent opponents of Obama admit that his mother was born and raised in the US.

So….back to my original conclusions…

1. The Birthers are just plain ignorant about the Constitution and laws.
    2. The Birthers are racists.
    3. Both of the above.

52. “SadujTogracse says:
    April 22, 2011 at 9:18 am
    “beerBoy says:
    April 22, 2011 at 5:47 am

Ah yes, OldLefty, how could I forget that one?”

How could any rational human being acertain that I admitted anything that would make the birthers “correct”? My entire point has been about how they’ve ignored his mother’s citizenship, thus his.

How could any rational human being be so obsessed about my monikers?

Do we see a repeat theme?

53. Fibonacci:

Considering the orange tone of Boehner’s face, I’m reluctant to consider that he is from planet Earth. In all of my life, I have never seen a skin tone that matches Boehner – from any of the “four corners of the earth”.

Maybe Whirled Net Daily will do a feature on Boehner, as an outer space alien who has mingled among us and is now planning the take over of the US by the elimination of the President and Vice President simutaneously.

54. LarryFine says:

55. “Allen B. West who avoided a formal court martial by paying a $15,000 fine, has faced numerous liens for unpaid taxes, three liens were placed on his home for unpaid bills, a judge ordered West to pay over $5,000 for past-due credit card bills.”

“So….the tax avoidance is a talking point to complain about the Dems but somehow it magically makes it OK for a Repub? Care to explain how that is consistent?”

“LarryFine says:
    April 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm
    “So….the tax avoidance is a talking point … ” you brought it up, I was just pointing to your selective outrage.”

Now not to be nickpicky….but

1. There is a big difference between haveing liens for unpaid taxes and having a dispute with the IRS. I know, I had a dispute with the IRS and we found common ground without any liens being levied against me. IRS laws are complex and not always what you think they are. Liens mean that you lost your battle with the IRS and still didn’t comply.

2. Your editing of the comment about “tax avoidance” has changed the context of what was said in the original comment. But, that was your plan, wasn’t it?

56. Even if I give you the “selective outrage” on tax “avoidance” (rather than liens), there are still those items about not paying his credit cards or his mortgage payments……

And….while we are at it…..have you found anything in your beerBoy/arts/beerBoy2 folder that suggests that I defended tax avoidance of any members of the current Administration? I imagine you have already looked for it.

57. Your editing of the comment about “tax avoidance” has changed the context of what was said in the original comment.

I’m so used to that being done to my comments I didn’t even notice it this time.

58. And, I think the potential for a Republican admission of that is about as far-fetched as them admitting that Reagan’s successes were mixed at best and that, if he were running today, he would be damned as a RINO.

59. LarryFine says:

I didn’t look initially. No there isn’t… there’s nothing condemning it either.

Have you found anything from me supporting Allen B. West?

p.s. the thread is about birthers and Barry. Who started the thread drift?

60. beerBoy – since your stalker and mine are both champions of the “comment context change via editing”, I’m constantly on watch.

Aside from the attempt to deceive other readers, it’s one of the Right Wing Sound Machine’s favorite tactics.

I don’t think Obama has been quoted in context by the Right since his address at the 2004 Convention, when it was apparent that he was the new shining star of the Dems.

61. beerBoy your wrong as can be in claiming that President Ronald Reagan would not be acceptable to the Tea Party Folks.

As a Liberal your opinion on what Conservatives would or would not be acceptable to other Conservatives is dubius at best.

Rinos would be described as folks like Mc Cain, Senator Scott Brown/Mass., Governor of Calif Arnold Swartzn/The terminator, lSenator Lindsey Graham and many others.

62. Fibonacci, The birth Certificate issue is low on my dissappoint list about Obama.

However President Obama should be open and honest and show his Actual Birth Certificate for all Americans to View.

When I needed to provide certain information for my Military Service, I did it willingly as I had no reason not to.

The President of The united States is the Single Most Powerful Person in the World. He can do alot of damage or alot of good for and to America and other nations.

Its just too bad that the lame stream media never vetted Obama and his closest friends and associates like The Rev Wright the racist hateful minister who baptized his children and was his spiritual advisor for over 20 years, and Bill Ayers a communist trouble maker accused of many violent attacks against the U. S. some years back and his close association with the Rev. Farragon/Muslim leader of thousands in this country, and so many other questionable associations.

63. Who started the thread drift?

That would be the folks I was responding to. You’re a smart guy, look upthread and figure it out.

64. So…..the TeaParty is OK with:

Granting amnesty with illegals
    Raising taxes
    Spending us into a deficit
    Bailing out the Savings & Loan industry
    and finally….compromising

Cuz that is exactly what St. Ronnie did.

65. Roncella says:

BeerBoy, there you go again, on the attack when it comes to President Reagan.

President Reagan also brought a Nation that was in a depressed state and confused about its future mission and goals with his great communication skills talked to all Americans about the greatness of America and Americans.

President Reagan gave us all Hope and a desire to move ahead and work together to move America in a positive direction. He had a way with humor and sincere love of America and Americans to express his feelings which came across to most Americans as honest and sincere feelings.

beerBoy, President Reagan made some mistakes, but lets admit the good accomplishments and contributions he made while President for two terms, and not be so negative and critical in your opinion of his job as President.

66. LarryFine says:

Bb, why do you allow the snail to ride your trail ?
    It’s kooky how frequently the mollusk clams onto your every word… as if you are both of the same mid-set… to peas in a pod… or pearls in a shell. It’s just kinda weird…

67. ron President Reagan gave us all Hope and a desire to move ahead and work together to move America in a positive direction

Sorry, but I wasn’t impressed with hopey – changey thing then….or now.

Larry – don’t control what others do here so, if someone want to “ride my tail” or maintain a file of quotes, I really have no power to change it.

68. “He had a way with humor and sincere love of America and Americans to express his feelings which came across to most Americans as honest and sincere feelings.”

In other words, Roncella….Ronald Reagan went back to playing the narrator on Death Valley Days

69. “LarryFine says:
    April 23, 2011 at 9:25 pm
    Bb, why do you allow the snail to ride your trail”

sayeth the character who doth keep a ledger for years on others

70. Oh….beerBoy….I get it……

You are me and I am you…….

There is the new conspiracy.

71. “Roncella says:
    April 23, 2011 at 11:06 am

This is just plain ridiculous.
    In one breath the TEA Party isn’t just Conservatives and in the next breath a Liberal would have no idea as to what is acceptable to the TEA Party.

Scott Brown was the pride of the TEA Party, until elected and threw them under the bus realizing he’d never win in 2012 with only their support, so now he’s a RINO (Republican in Name Only) which still contradicts the previous claims that the TEA Party isn’t just Conservatives.

Poor Old McCain. Despite his best attempts at being Conservative, he still gets kicked around by his own party. Even putting up with Palin wasn’t good enough….

72. Oh…and Arnold was the Conservative hero saying stupid things like “girly man” and is now a RINO.

73. yabetchya says:

KARDNOS says:
    April 24, 2011 at 10:40 am
    Oh….beerBoy….I get it……

You are me and I am you…….

I don’t think so snail…..beerboy has more intelligence and class than you could EVER imagine to have.
    IMO… Larry wasn’t saying you two are the same, he was just wondering why the snail likes to sniff ~behind~ beerboy.

74. menopaws says:

Every time I hear some moron Talking about Obama “sharing” his Birth certificate, I just want to laugh. the letter writer nailed it–you know if there was ANYTHING fishy, Cheney or even the Clintons would have found it and killed his run for office. These racists are really just sad, pathetic people. They hate having a black man in the White House, hate that he is better educated and better behaved than they are. He is a smart, thoughtful man and while I don’t agree with everything he has done, I respect his putting up with all this crap from the “Birther” crowd. He doesn’t swagger, he doesn’t bully and he doesn’t treat people with the same rudeness that has become the hallmark of the Tea Party crowd. If you don’t have any ideas–just yell really loud and question the President’s birthright. Here’s a question for all of you: Anyone else embarrassed by the birthright of some of the white trash currently in office?

75. menopaws:

I’m amazed as I read your intelligent posts and then realize that you don’t comprehend the concept of disagreeing with a man’s policies, so you attack his birth.

Meanwhile, Obama’s mother was a US citizen, which makes him one, so the birth certificate issue is null and void, sort of like the brain of a TEA Party Supporter.

76. bobcat1a says:

According to Hawaii law, President Obama can not get his long form Birth Certificate. It is the property of the state of Hawaii. The only thing they issue is the Certificate of Live Birth which is and has long been public. That is fact, no matter how much the birthers want to deny reality.

Incidentally, Ayn Rand, the holy saint of the Teapartiers was diametrically opposed to the heretical Ronnie’s political views. She herself said she was “profoundly opposed” to his presidency. Cognitive dissonance, they name is Tea Party.

77. LarryFine says:

“yabitcha” … cute snail. Yabetcha was correct…

78. A conspiracy theory site that has put together a sensible reason for the seeming obfuscation from Obama’s people about the birth certificate:

You guys should realize that the more you continue with these birther claims the more deluded you make yourself appear – making any of your legitimate complaints about the man’s policies easily dismissed as the product of an addled brain.

79. “LarryFine says:
    April 24, 2011 at 9:13 pm
    “yabitcha” … cute snail. Yabetcha was correct…

You must be high snail… menopaws was heaping great praise on “the one”… and you attack him. ”

Sarcasm wasted again…..

80. For those inflicted with the same reading disorder as LF, I’ll repeat and edit:

KARDNOS says:
    April 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm
    menopaws:

::::::::::::::::::look of heavy sarcasm inserted here/eyeroll::::::::::::

Meanwhile, Obama’s mother was a US citizen, which makes him one, so the birth certificate issue is null and void, sort of like the brain of a TEA Bag Supporter.

81. Larry – from now on, when I have to explain the joke to you, I’m sending you a bill.

82. LarryFine says:

Ya, sure, ya betya… nice back peddle spanky.

83. May I make an observation?

Here is the context. I gave you all up for Lent. That’s right, when it came time to decide what should “sacrifice” in order to focus on the journey of Lent, you all seemed like the logical choice. Nothing personal mind you. I just realized that I needed time to ponder, without distraction, what God has done for me…and for you.

I say, as a prayer, with heartfelt sincerity: God bless America, and God bless you!

84. yabetchya says:

Thanks sozo.

85. Roncella says:

Sozo, Welcome back, your insights have been missed and are appreciated and respected by most who post here.

86. sozo – I missed you. (and I am sincere in that). Not sure if giving up this little board for Lent was that much of a sacrifice – you missed a whole bunch of malarky.

87. “Here’s the observation: What a sad expenditure of energy this exchange represents. To have meaningful discussion about issues and things that matter is one thing, but this? To log on this morning and read this thread made me realize just how far we’ve all plunged into the nonsense of the current political scene.”

For what it’s worth, it didn’t change you, sozo, still obliviously aboveitall.

Did you really mean “we’ve all?” Really?

88. I did indeed mean “we” Polago. Had I not taken an intentional leave of absence I would have been right in the middle of whatever “fray” was going on. Coming back with fresh eyes simply made me want to be more selective about which issues will claim my energy.

Perhaps it didn’t change anything fundamental about me…that wasn’t the point of my remark. It would be pure folly and the worst sort of intellectual dishonesty to participate on this blog all this time while looking down my nose at the participants, would it not?

I am neither better nor worse than anyone else here.
    And when I ask God to bless you, I actually mean it. Who among us does not need grace?