Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TRUMP: The Donald’s right about our culture

Letter by Byron C. Smith, Milton on April 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm with 22 Comments »
April 20, 2011 1:47 pm

I supported the president with his campaign for change. Not radical change, but change that would focus on our unemployment, drug use, educational systems, delusional financing, investments in professional sports, petroleum speculators, etc.

But after a half-term of same ol’, same ol’, I am completely disillusioned with the “change.” (Yeah, I know, Congress is to blame.)

To my horror, I now find myself agreeing with Donald Trump. Not about the president’s birthplace issue, but about our culture.

We are our own worst enemies. We refuse to face financial realities. We overpay our corporate executives to take our jobs, and financial managers to give us our own money. We overpay our professional atheletes to take our time. We overpay our entertainers to take our energy. We overeat (imported) foods, play (imported) games and CDs, and use (imported) drugs to comfort ourselves.

Notice – no products except fat, garbage and mind-numbness.

We cannot continue to have only services to sell each other, we need products. We send our money to other countries instead of creating valuable things we can sell to them (we had the chance with solar cells, computers, etc., but we are again buying them from overseas).

At least the Romans had lead in the water to cause their stupidity and eventual self-destruction. The didn’t know they were failing. We do. Might as well vote for The Donald at this point, or Caesar.

Tags:
  1. taxedenoughintacoma says:

My money is on Trump not running. But at this stage I thank him for asking the questions he is asking. I would pay to watch him wipe up the floor during a debate with obama and no teleprompters allowed.

I don’t want to distraction of the birther issue but he does make you say uhmmmm.

He tells the truth how both the GOP and the Dems have sold our workers down the tube and how other countries use us like a chew toy.

You can disagree with what Trump is saying but his questions are insightful.

2. I consider Trump a warm up to the GOP Presidential primaries. The TV talking heads have been saying it is late to start a run for office. For them maybe.

The GOP field needs to declare as late as possible and sprint to the convention.

Trump thanks for the sideshow…

3. ItalianSpring says:

I cannot take Trump seriously as he was an Obombunist up to and after his annointment. Trump is a shameless self-promoter above all and his positions are less stable than Obomba’s, but if he does run, I would vote for him over Obombunism any day. But, that applies to just about everyone at this point.

4. princessnancy says:

5. princess……wasn’t it the Bush Administration gonna run the country like a business? And just like every other business he ran, W got out right before it tanked. It seems Trump has a similar history of getting richer by selling his stocks right before businesses under his stewardship crash and burn.

btw……a country isn’t a business. And, in case you hadn’t noticed, employees have very limited rights.

6. Trying to run the Country as a business IS the problem not the solution.

7. LarryFine says:

I never heard Bush claim he was going to run the country like a business. I did hear him say he would work with the minority party. That’s what brought us medicare part D and no child left behind ( just to name 2 ).

8. Someone sound the Trumpettes!!! (as opposed to banjo music)

Here is your TEA Party and Trump supporters

9. “LarryFine says:
    April 21, 2011 at 7:32 am
    I never heard Bush claim he was going to run the country like a business. I did hear him say he would work with the minority party. That’s what brought us medicare part D”

Medicare Part D – The 3:00 am vote held in the house that was designated to be a 15 minute vote (chaired by Washington’s Doc Hastings). Two hours laters, after Democrats had voted it down, a cell phone was passed around the House to Republicans that weren’t in line, George Bush was on the phone telling them to get in line.

Now is this the legislation that you claim Bush was “working with the minority”?

10. “LarryFine says:
    April 21, 2011 at 7:32 am
    It is noteworthy that bB frequently complained during the Bush presidency when someone would “but Clinton”… ”

11. “princessnancy says:
    April 21, 2011 at 6:07 am
    Donald Trump will run the country as a business; he will not overextend us to the point that future generations will be responsible for our huge debt. Mr. Trump has my vote! ”

Trump is the master of bankrupsy. Is that “running like a business”?

12. That Medicare Part D Bill required the Government to pay whatever price the Drug Companies demanded rather that negotiating a volume discount.

Running the Country like a business is the PROBLEM, not the solution.

13. Bush was in office from 2001 to 2009 and you kept track of what someone else said in a newspaper forum????????????? Creepy.

Apparently paraphrasing bB from the Bush Administration era is OK but paraphrasing Bush from the same time isn’t…..

14. LarryFine says:

… exactly, paraphrasing Clinton wasn’t ok but paraphrasing Bush is… not kooky… predictable.

15. Why is every single candidate on the right a foam at the mouth crazy?

16. On a thread promoting Trump as a businessman as president it is entirely appropriate to point to the first and only MBA president’s administration as a potential predictor of Trump’s success.

Other than the fact that I posted it, how exactly would your posts relate?

17. LarryFine says:

Whom are you talking to Arts?

18. I think it is someone called Iam, Jim.

19. I congratulate the letter writer for his awakening, belated as it is. I think a little research on Obama’s life experiences prior to running for president would have saved him the disappointment, (buyers remorse). Now I know what was meant by the saying ” a fool is born every minute” . No one can say that they weren’t warned far in advance of the 2008 election. You people who voted for this clown got exactly what you deserve.

20. no products except fat, garbage and mind-numbness.

You mean like that “reality” TV show where a guy with a really obvious comb-over says “You’re fired”?

frosty – you are so eager to latch onto criticism of the President that you don’t bother to really try to understand the criticism. Read this sentence again, but this time try to fully comprehend it But after a half-term of same ol’, same ol’, I am completely disillusioned with the “change.”

21. beerboy. you are so eager to find fault with my comments that you didn’t read the whole context of the letter, The letter writer blames our culture. Did he expect Obama to change our culture? When he voted for Obama what was his expectations? Did he think that the miracle worker would just simply look down from the perch that the liberals put him on and decree that all is now healed? Get real.

22. Hey Kards- Now let’s go take a vid-cam to a college of your choosing and let me “edit” the initial “interviews” of the average 19 year-old (” yeah man, like, like, you know, like, it’s what my professor like told our class to think so like, you know, we could pass the course and avoid like peer pressure…you know”).
    C’mon, it’s too easy to demonstrate unfavorability of personal appearance, or a lack of cohesive articulation if You OR I am allowed to select a 10% montage of only what we like, from a 120 minute source sample.
    Are you trying to fool yourself again?