Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

LIBYA: This is getting embarrassing, isn’t it?

Letter by Michael E. Arndt, Tacoma on April 15, 2011 at 1:00 pm with 87 Comments »
April 15, 2011 1:00 pm

That darn Gadhafi. Why won’t he go away? Secretary of Defense Hillary Clinton says he must go, President Obama says he must go, even Republican John McCain says he must go.

Not only that, the U.N. resolution supports the rebels, whoever they are, and says its OK to bomb the heck out of Gadhafi’s troops, trucks and tanks and other distasteful accouterments. Yet, there he is, riding around in an automobile, sticking out his tongue at us and telling us we are useless numskulls.

So now the thought is to sneak in help and show the rebels, whoever they are, how to aim their guns and use quiet squad tactics. Shooting into the air and yodeling loudly doesn’t really scare anyone and is not cost-effective in the least.

We have spent more than half a billion dollars on this effort and, like the Mariners, we could use a good win over a weak team. The whole thing is really embarrassing, is it not?

Tags:
  1. we are useless numskulls.

Aside from your hatred for all things Obama overweighing your love for country…..why would you write this useless letter.

2. Well Michael, that’s what happens when you don’t have a Commander-in-Chief.

3. MarksonofDarwin says:

bB,

I didn’t get an “I hate Obama” rant out of this letter.

Personally, I really would like an answer to who the heck these “rebels” really are. That’s an important fact that keeps getting left out of the already measly amount of information we’re getting about this…um, what is it?…a conflict?

Looks more like a “war for oil” to me…..

4. MoD – perhaps I got subtext that wasn’t there but….note the post immediately following mine.

As I have stated before – we shouldn’t be in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen or Libya. Obama disappoints me – not because he is not doing what I had hoped he would – but because he is doing exactly what I feared he would.

5. MarksonofDarwin says:

I’m with ya on that one bB.
    We’re halfway into Bush’s third term, and I’m pretty sure he’ll be elected for a fourth….

6. To say President Obama is a disappointment is huge understatement in my judgment. Who is it that gives our “leaders” their advice? They ALL seem to think war solves all of our problems. Then, when we the electorate, find that to be untrue, we remain silent.

7. When did Hillary Clinton become Sec. of Defense?

Helping people achive freedom is never embarassing, trying to force freedom on them with ‘shock and awh’ and 3 trillion dollars IS.

8. ItalianSpring says:

9. “ItalianSpring says:
    April 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm
    Obomba fights his wars no differently than any other lib- just like the kitty he is.”
    And your military experience is???????

10. ItalianSpring says:

Of course. Change the subject. Lame

11. Italianspring?????? What say you???

12. The subject is right on. You are the one who cannot make a justification. Just a jerk, as I thought.

13. “Fights his wars just like the kitty he is.” And you say your expertise to make that judgement is not applicable to the argument.
    Whoa!!
    You should think about what you write before you post it my friend.

14. ItalianSpring says:

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

15. “ItalianSpring says:
    April 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm
    ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.”
    Just as I thought. Never been there, never done that.
    How easy it is to criticize when one knows nothing about the experience.
    Sleep tight while the real warriors watch over you Mr. Spring.

16. ItalianSpring says:

Snore.

17. yabetchya says:

Oh, the banter between Italian and Publico just made my day. How fun. Both have valid points, yet do it in such a abwhorish way.

18. the3rdpigshouse says:

Only a misguided & incompetent community organizer starts a war, pulls the troops off the field, and then insists that the mean ole dictator leave his country!! That would be the “messiah OH-Bummer” – God help us with retraining of the “ignorant electorate” that put this mistake in government before 2012!!!

19. and yet another arm chair general snorts form the mouth with no tongue.

20. “Legal” or “Illegal”, “Sanctioned” or “Unsanctioned”, if you’re going to use military force, you go all out with a clear objective.

If you go in half assed, you end up with Iraq, Afghanistan and now Libya.

Go big or go home. I’m tired of half assed crap thought up by half assed politicians.

21. I have no idea how this got to be an Obama rant. What the writer said was this bonehead in Libya is running around like some college kid after a drunken fest, hanging out a sunroof and giving the cops the finger as he drove by. That is exactly what it was. I can’t understand why while watching the video, right about mid block a cruise missile didn’t interrupt the film??? I don’t get it either—Hey NATO, WAKE UP!

22. NWflyfisher says:

Obama justified going to war in Libya by claiming widespread indiscriminate slaughter, as he put it “a bloodbath”, of the Libyan citizens by Gadhafi (sp). Human Rights Watch is reporting there is no evidence to support that claim.
    Did Obama commit the U.S. to a war in Libya on false pretences? Was it a calculated political move designed to portray him as a decisive Commander In Chief in early preparation for his reelection bid?

23. pazzo242 says:

I got it that not too many people like Obama and we will try to find whatever we can to discredit him–truly I’m OK with that–I don’t have much use for the guy. But I don’t think that was the letter writer’s intent, I may be wrong-but don’t think so. He still looked like a frat boy after a night of carousing.

24. nwf – Very odd that you would indicate a spelling error for the Libyan dictator:

“Muammar Gaddafi” is the spelling used by TIME, BBC News, the majority of the British press and by the English service of Al-Jazeera.[204] The Associated Press, MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News use “Moammar Gadhafi”. The Library of Congress uses “Qaddafi, Muammar” as the primary name. The Edinburgh Middle East Report uses “Mu’ammar Qaddafi” and the U.S. Department of State uses “Mu’ammar Al-Qadhafi”, although the White House chooses to use “Muammar el-Qaddafi”.[205] The Xinhua News Agency uses “Muammar Khaddafi” in its English reports.[206] The New York Times uses “Muammar el-Qaddafi”. The Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times of Tribune Company use “Moammar Kadafi”.[207][208]

In 1986, Gaddafi reportedly responded to a Minnesota school’s letter in English using the spelling “Moammar El-Gadhafi”.[209] The title of the homepage of algathafi.org reads “Welcome to the official site of Muammar Al Gathafi”.[210]

An article published in the London Evening Standard in 2004 lists a total of 37 spellings of his name, while a 1986 column by The Straight Dope quotes a list of 32 spellings known at the Library of Congress.[211] ABC identified 112 possible spellings.

25. Roncella says:

Its totally unbelieveable how the liberal/democrats who post here can defend what President Obama has done in Libya. Obama has placed our troops lifes in danger for What Reason ?

President Obama ordered our troops to bomb and kill and then faft way into it, pulls them out and tries to turn the whole operation over to Nato.

Who is Obama listening too? He has the best advisors surrounding him in Military operations, many political experts in deaing with middle eastern countries and all the rest.

The sad part is Obama really is uninterested in finishing this New War He Started, he is busy now running for re-election, and thats all that truly matters to him.

His Actions speak louder than his words, follow the money, he has over a billion dollars already to pay for his re-election efforts.

26. LarryFine says:

Publico says:
    April 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm
    Standby for the wingnut and neocon word attacks

Publico says:
    April 15, 2011 at 8:53 pm
    Just a jerk, as I thought.

;)

27. “Who is Obama listening too?”

Fortunately, not you.

28. uscha says:
    April 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm
    Well Michael, that’s what happens when you don’t have a Commander-in-Chief.”
    ————————————————————————————-
    How long has the bad guy been operating in Libya?

29. Roncella says:

VerySad, that your not honest enough to admit it when your hero Obama has made a huge mistake and now doesn’t know how to correct it.

30. “pazzo242 says:
    April 16, 2011 at 6:34 am
    I got it that not too many people like Obama and we will try to find whatever we can to discredit him–truly I’m OK with that–I don’t have much use for the guy.”

Well…according to Gallup….Obama hit his new “low” of 41%, with 50% “disapproving” and of course 9% don’t know.

As to “not too many”…….that would sound more like George Bush’s 29%

I don’t have much use for your hasty generalizations. Meanwhile, find me one candidate with a PRAYER of a chance to beat Obama in 2012. Regardless of “find whatever we can to discredit him” (which was your tact in 2008) the guy keeps weathering the storms.

Maybe if you beat that “born in Kenya” drum a little harder……..

31. LarryFine says:

“How long has the bad guy been operating in Libya?”

How long was Osama (not be confused with Obama) operating in Afganistan?

32. “Roncella says:
    April 16, 2011 at 9:39 am
    Polago, I would never give President Obama advice that could put our troops lifes in danger without a winning strategy, For America and our troops.”
    —————————————————————————————
    So were you the one that provided Bush with advice on Iraq? What was the winning strategy you provided for Vietnam?

Obama did exactly what he said he would do, got it done and now the Sound Machine is cranking up their typical lies and rhetoric to attempt to change what everyone already knows happened.

33. “How long was Osama (not be confused with Obama) operating in Afganistan?”

According to the Right Wing Sound machine, Osama Bin Laden was forced into a cave where he died and is only resurrected to do tape recordings right before elections in the United States.

There is the fun part. The Right Wing Sound Machine constantly changes their posture. In one lie, Bin Laden was controlled, in the next he is giving the US advise on how to vote (he appears to be a Republican)

34. Muammar Muhammad al-Gaddafi[1][variations] (Arabic: مُعَمَّر ٱلْقَذَّافِيّ‎ Muʿammar al-Qaḏḏāfī audio (help·info); born 7 June 1942), commonly referred to as Colonel Gaddafi, has been the leader of Libya since a military coup on 1 September 1969 where he overthrew King Idris of Libya and established the Libyan Arab Republic.[2] His 42 years in power make him one of the longest-serving rulers in history.
    ————————————–
    Now, considering that Nixon was in office when the Bad Guy came into power, how does it become Obama’s fault?

I think Obama was about 8 years old in 1969.

35. Roncella says:

Xzero, What stroms has President Obama Weathered ?

He has the Lame Stream Media protecting his every word and action, he has all the Cable channels except for one, including, NPR, most Movie Stars and leftest professors in Colleges, all the Union Bosses backing him.

No one ever gets to ask him a follow up question or any question that he would be forced to explain truthfully what he actually wants for America and for all Americans.

Obama continues to Blame PAST President George Bush/ V.P. Cheney and Republicans and tea Party Folks for everything and anything thats gone wrong or will go wrong.

36. ItalianSpring says:

I agree yabetcha. I make abhorrent valid points just by snoring. Publico has to work far harder at it.

37. NWflyfisher says:

beerBoy: don’t know what your point was regarding my spelling. I didn’t know the correct spelling and indicated that by including (sp)… whould (sp?)have been better? Is there a better way? The differences among the various news outlet show a variety of spellings as you so generously pointed out.. Though popular, they may not necessarily be correct. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to research it.

38. NWFF,
    Obama, NATO, and UN, got involved in Libya TO PREVENT the slaughter, not because there was one.

Ronc,
    The Libyan Plan was always for the US to take the lead until NATO was able to mobilize. We did, they did, now they run the show, with support from us. And the plan had the support and approval of the US Military.

When asked why he had not invade Iraq Bush 1, replied that the Joint Chiefs told him there was no way to invade and then withdraw without a long term occupation. B2 ignored that advice.

‘Continues to blame – – -‘ sort of like how the right blames the left for everything back to and including Original Sin.

39. NWflyfisher says:

xring: So, if his intervention in Libya was so altruistic, where was he on Iran? As reported by Steve Huntley in the Chicago Sun Times: “For months, the streets of Tehran ran red with blood. After June’s fraudulent presidential election, Iran’s security forces and paramilitary thugs arrested, beat, shot and murdered protesters whose only crime was to be fed up with dictatorial rule. Those unfortunate enough to land in prison were raped, forced to lick toilet bowls, tortured by, for example, having their fingernails ripped out, and killed, some from abuse and some from show executions.”- Steve Huntley,Chicago Sun-Times February 26, 2010, “Guess who missed Iran’s atrocities?”

40. sorry nwf – I assumed you were noting others’ spelling as being questionable.

41. Roncella says:

NWflyfisher, Your wasting your time trying to show a few of the liberal posters here any kind of truths or facts. They are lemmons who will follow their messiah to the cliff and jump off happy and smiling all the way.

They don’t have the gonads to admit Obama is making and has made alot of mistakes with more to come as he is really not qualified to be President of the most Powerful and Fantastic Country in the World,

Note: No Apologies are necessary for All That America and Americans have accomplished in the past and will accomplish in the future.

Note: someone needs to advise Obama to stop his Apologizing for America and Be Proud Of America.

42. NWflyfisher says:

beerBoy: No harm, no foul. It’s all good.

43. IndependentVoltaire says:

Lemmons were sisters that sang on Lawrence Welk

44. IndependentVoltaire says:

John Lemmon was in Paul McCartney’s first band called The Beatles

45. IndependentVoltaire says:

I have a question:

Is America a great nation that has done no wrong, or is America going broke?

46. Humor, sarcasam, irony. Could the point be somewhere along the line that “its better the devil you know than the devil you don’t know?” What are rebels without leaders? Rioters? I don’t know, (I Don’t know…) its all shourded in smoke, bombs and sprayed blood shed. Do we belong there? If we do, why are we not in Somalia, or numerous other nations that need saving.

Remember the screech of agony when no WMD’s were found in Iraq? Our leaders relish the power of war and feel righteous and justified that they have freed a nation of repression.. Is that always the case? Very seldom do they weep after viewing the ashes of destruction and bodies of soldiers and the innocent.

47. NWflyfisher says:

Roncella: Thanks. I’ve been down that road with several screen names of a particular individual in previous threads going back several years now; I don’t respond anything that even looks as if it may be from some new alias of that individual; in fact, once I’m convinced its the same individual I don’t even read any further posts by him/her. The lesson I learned was you can’t win an argument with an idiot; he’ll drag you down to his level every time and beat you with experience down there.

48. IndependentVoltaire says:

j2243 – think about the “insurgents” in Iraq. They were the bad guys. Now the insurgents in Libya are the good guys.

49. IndependentVoltaire says:

“The lesson I learned was you can’t win an argument with an idiot; he’ll drag you down to his level every time and beat you with experience down there.”

This reminds me of the tack that Michael Steele took on Bill Maher’s show last night, while Ed Schultz schooled him on the issues.

Steele tried to use GOP talking points, phrases and Obama attacks, while Schultz peppered him with real questions requiring real answers. After Steele tried the ever favorite oldie – “let’s have an adult conversation” to which the audience booed – he finally admitted that he didn’t know the answer to Schultz’s question

50. IndependentVoItaire says:

Ed Schultz is my hero. I trust everything he says because he’s smarter than just about everyone. I have dreams about him, Maher, and myself all the time.

51. LarryFine says:

NWflyfisher says:
    April 16, 2011 at 1:11 pm

….

beerBoy says:
    June 25, 2010 at 6:37 am
    Dale….spellcheck? What’s that? Grammatical/spelling errors are expected. If you are using spellcheck for these posts you are admitting that your priorities are a little skewed and you need to back away from the computer
    ….

Yep… kooky… and I will have to change my moniker and IP address (again) because I use bB’s own words to bring his contradictive standards to light…

52. moooooo

53. NWFF,
    Has the UN condemended Iran, or called for a no fly zone?

54. NWflyfisher says:

xring: no.

55. Jim – you need to back away from your computer in order to see that what you posted in no way contradicted my interaction with nwf (unless, of course, you choose to ignore the actual discussion we had).

I responded to nwf putting (sp) behind Gaddafi’s name – mistakenly thinking that he was being the spelling police. This is exactly the same impulse that inspired June 25, 2010 at 6:37 am.

You really do need to back away from you computer and admit that your need to embarrass beerBoy is more than a little skewed.

56. Arrgh! This constant parade of aliases is annoying!

57. Roncella says:

IndepVoltaire, It doesn’t surprise me abit that loud mouth Ed Shultz and idiot Bill Maher are two of your hero’s .

Most of your posts reflect their opinions.

58. Vox_clamantis_in_deserto says:

beerBoy says:

”Arrgh! This constant parade of aliases is annoying!”

I assume you are referring to IndependentVoItaire… right?

59. yah sure, ya betcha!

:-)

60. blakeshouse says:

Give it another week and the apologizer in chief will figure a way to say we are sorry to both the regime and the resistance and even throw a sorry in for those poor souls of Lockerbee then we can all be happy again

61. “Roncella says:
    April 17, 2011 at 8:48 am

Most of your posts reflect their opinions.”

And you reek of Bill O’Reilly and Glenn Beck

62. He smells like chalk and loofahs?

63. As I look back, Roncella actually complimented IndependentVoltaire.

Maher has a 8 year running show that people have to pay to get. Schultz is on TV and radio.

OReilly’s radio show tanked and, well, we all know about Beck. Couldn’t even hold a job with FOX.

64. LarryFine says:

… they “have to pay to get it” because no sponsors sponsor it… Don’t worry about O’Reilly… he’s just fine. Who’s Beck ?

65. SadujTogracse says:

“we all know about Beck. Couldn’t even hold a job with FOX.”

“nd he STILL got higher ratings than Schultz ever has! (both radio and tv)

66. I’m not too sure we are backing the right side in Libya. OK, a few in NY stte are not on his Christmas Card list for Pan Am. But, the rebels will probably be taken over the radical Islamists should Moamar go. Then what ?
    The same may well happen sooner than later in Egypt.
    We are backing the muslim in Ivory Coast over the Christian leader.
    We supported the Muslim Bosnians over the Christian Croatians and Serbs.
    We supported the Muslim Chechnyans over the Russians just because they were not Russians.
    I just don’t get it ! We back the rebels then get hosed later.
    I prefer $4 gas to $10 gas going to Iran’s allies.

67. Now why would FOX dump someone with “high ratings”?

Could it be because the looney tune set has no advertising market?

I guess the quality of a viewing audience is more important than quantity.

68. Then there is Maher’s audience that have to pay for basic cable, extended cable and HBO in order to enjoy his show.

Let’s see O’Reilly do that.

69. LarryFine says:

Since you seem to have all the answers “KARDNOS”… why don’t you just tell us?

Maher has no sponsors…

70. SadujTogracse says:

I never said Beck had high ratings, learn to read. Even though his ratings were falling they still handily beat Schultz’s on a nightly basis.

71. Beck has higher rating than Big Ed? Must be that new right wing math: drop the one with the highest rating.

72. “LarryFine says:
    April 17, 2011 at 8:43 pm
    Since you seem to have all the answers “KARDNOS”… why don’t you just tell us?

Maher has no sponsors… ”

All those millions of people subscribing to HBO don’t count?

Better change that name to “Larry Notsofine”

Of course, I’m talking to a Conservative. They think that business money, funneled through PACs equate to a whole bunch of Americans sending in their $5 donations.

73. Beck’s ratings were falling? Oh my!

Maybe FOX can afford Ed Schultz.

Beck’s “ratings” had nothing to do with it. A bunch of FOX advertisers who said “If you’re going to carry that clown you can live without us” was the issue.

As to “ratings” – if I recall, the Seahawks didn’t have such a great “rating” by the NFL and still beat last years Super Bowl Champions.

Quality, not quantity.

74. “nd he STILL got higher ratings than Schultz ever has! (both radio and tv)”

“SadujTogracse says:
    April 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm
    I never said Beck had high ratings”

I could say “learn to spell”, but I won’t.

I’ll just say “pass the parsing”

75. All those millions of people subscribing to HBO don’t count?

Real Time with Bill Maher
    – 0.946 million viewers
    – 0.6/1 HH
    – 0.3/1 A18-49

Even with all thos “millions” Maher can’t crack that million viewer mark… Say Yes to the Dress even beats him out…

76. “Quality, not quantity.”

Beck still beat out CNN, CNN Headline, CNBC and MSNBC combine…. Beck is moving on. Whoever they replace him with will beat out those clowns on the other channels.

77. SadujTogracse says:

nd he STILL got higher ratings than Schultz ever has! (both radio and tv)”

“SadujTogracse says:
    April 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm
    I never said Beck had high ratings”

There is a difference between HIGH and HIGHER THAN, learn it. I guess I have to take this down to a 3rd grade level for Kardnos…… You see Kardnos, even though Beck’s ratings weren’t fantastic on the FOX network, they were still higher than most every show on the MSNBC network, including the Mr. Ed show! Do you understand now little one?

78. SjT – To take it down to your level:

Beck not on TV,

Schultz on TV.

79. xring, I am old enough to remember MR. ED the talking horse. He actually made more sense and was more entertaining then the Mr. Ed currently appearing on the far, far leftest Cable Channel MSNBC.

80. SadujTogracse says:

Does being on TV on a network that nobody watches still count as being on TV? A philosophical question I guess. I think TVW reruns of the state Legislataive sessions get higher ratings than MSNBC.

81. NWflyfisher says:

Roncella: Big difference between the two. Mr. Ed (the talking horse) spoke from his mouth. Mr. Ed (host of the MSNBC “The Ed Show”) talks out of his a**.

82. SadujTogracse says:

LOL, how true NW!

83. SjT – site your referrences for the popularity of TVW vs MSNBC.

84. So backward-snail……you already have earned nearly universal disdain from the right-leaning regulars, is your diabolical backwards plot to gain disdain from the left-leaners too?

85. SadujTogracse says:

I lose no sleep over who disdains me or who does not beerboy. Besides, I can’t hold a candle to the former snail, Kardnos, x_zero (etc…) in that department!

86. SadujTogracse says:

Site my references? Well there’s this SITE and that SITE which site did you want? Now if you want me to CITE a reference that’s something different.

87. In other words it was a made up rant spewed from your tongueless mouth.