Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TACOMA: A city of great unrealized potential

Letter by David C. Ogilvie, Gig Harbor on April 1, 2011 at 10:20 am with 14 Comments »
April 1, 2011 11:16 am

Re: M. “Morf” Morford’s “Given enough time …” (Your Voice, 4-1)

We share Morf’s affection/disdain for Tacoma. It’s a city of great unrealized potential.

Lately, we discovered and patronized a great start-up restaurant on Opera Alley, and our thanks from the city was a $25 parking ticket. We parked in the dark, in the rain and ran for the restaurant but failed to notice a distant sign that designated the area as “pay and display.”

Had we arrived and parked 15 minutes later, the parking fee would not have applied. That makes it hard to pass up the restaurants near our Gig Harbor home in favor of Tacoma. The one deserving sympathy is the restaurant owner.

Tags:
, ,
  1. truthbusterguy says:

I started boycotting Tacoma when they passed a vote against AZ and their attempt to manage immigration issues in their state. Time to vote with your wallet and stay on your side of the bridge. Try Bremerton and Silverdale too.

Will the last socialist democrat in Tacoma close the door behind them. And take Pierce Transit with you.

Also offset your ticket by avoiding city and state sales tax. Pay cash, use craigslist, shop online, barter, whatever. Starve the city and state until show some common sence.

2. whatIdid says:

Same here Truth… I work in Tacoma and take my check to the west side of the bridge for the very same reason.

3. whatIdid says:

… speaking of Arizona…
    LuckyCharm says:
    May 20, 2010 at 2:44 pm

AZ’s economic consequences have only just begun….

4. Roncella says:

The lack of business sense by the Mayor and the City Council shows just how backword the City of Tacoma has become, thanks to Them.

5. omega629 says:

Why are these people still in office??

6. “Its too bad that the resttaurant and other small businesses who work very hard trying to make it everyday are paying the price for the parking meters.”
    —————

Do you know for a fact that restaurants are suffering due to metered parking, Roncella?

Maybe you should be asking a restaurant owner to supply you with the correct answer, rather than spreading another one of your false rumors.

7. taxedenoughintacoma says:

Tacoma is taking lessons from Seattle. This is what happens when you vote in liberals to manage anything. Seattle parking fines drove me away from that city 5 years ago. I too boycott Tacoma even though I love Harbor Fright tools.

Seattle has a 17 million $ shortfall and unions have thumbed their nose at them. The same will happen in Tacoma. The more you can starve cities the quicker they will be forced to change either their methods of management of the unions or city residents must change their leaders.

8. whatIdid says:

Tacoma’s biggest problem is they keep trying to be like Seattle (or name any other large “progressive” westcoast city)…. and their always a day late and a dollar short. Rail to nowhere, the convention center, stupid assinine resolutions condemning this or that … when it has nothing to do with Tacoma…. you get the picture.

9. if you don’t think Tacoma will ever reach its potential …..move – I did.

10. whatIdid says:

I don’t live in Tacoma.

So you chose Idaho…

11. frankiethomas says:

I don’t think Tacoma is trying to be like Seattle. ANd with the boob of a mayor running things up there, I can’t imagin we’ll be trying any time soon. Our LINK light rail goes froma large parking structure to our downtown and it has lots of peolel on it every time I see. As opposed to the oft-empty SLUT.

12. whatIdid says:

I rarely see more than a handful on it at any given time.

13. I agree with the letter writer that the signage is difficult. When there were meters at every stall you could see that there was a fee or read the time it was in effect.

I would like to point out that it was the businesses downtown that asked the city to make parking a time-limited situation, and the best way to do that is to charge a small fee for the limited time and ticket those who stay too long.

Some of the areas placed into fee parking should revert to non-fee and allow them to fill up with daytime workers now that Russell and others have left. However, if we do get a lot of daytime workers back, the situation will crop up again where you could not park anywhere near downtown shopping during the day.

I like the fee parking personally, since we can now park in areas that had been “reserved” for day workers and all-day parkers.

14. Idaho chose me (I got a job). But…..point taken…..clearly I still have an affection for Tacoma.