Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

LIBYA: Obama’s action reflects moral clarity

Letter by Alfred K. LaMotte, Steilacoom on March 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm with 153 Comments »
March 25, 2011 9:41 am

Re: “Attack on Libya looks like the right move” (editorial, 3-24).

Republican critics like House Speaker John Boehner lament “mission creep” in Libya, and the cost of President Obama’s military action. I wonder where these people were when George Bush invaded Iraq, beginning a nearly trillion-dollar war. All they talked about then was Bush’s “moral clarity.” No one spoke of “mission creep.”

First, we invaded Iraq to destroy nonexistent weapons of mass destruction. Then we were there to overthrow Saddam Hussein’s regime, which Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush had supported. No, the mission was really to build a model democracy in the Arab world. Actually, no, we were simply rebuilding what we destroyed and cleaning up our own mess.

Finally, the mission in Iraq was, and still is, just to get the hell out.

I contrast that muddled mission with Obama’s decisive bombing of Libya to avert mass murder in the city of Benghazi and to disable Moammar Gadhafi’s air force. Obama’s mission was clear, and it is accomplished, even as the president humbly transfers leadership to other nations, including Arab ones.

Before Obama acted, his critics accused him of “dithering.” When he acted decisively to stop mass murder, they accused him of “mission creep.”

I will take Obama’s moral clarity any day over Boehner’s.

1. blakeshouse says:

You can have it and take it to Venesuala with you. The only people stupid enough to buy into what you are trying to sell have already shown just how stupid humanity can be with Hugo Chauvez actually being “elected” there. Of course electing a half azzed street corner community organizer aint much better

2. _____house, what’s with the Venezuela bit? How does Chavez have anything to do with this letter.

3. Based on the one failed comment by the far right, we know that President Obama has done a very good job dealing with the ME.
    It burns their behinds!
    Whine that he doesn’t do enough then whine that does anything at all!
    Classic.

4. This has nothing to do with Bush… just an attempt to divert attention away from the foriegn policy train wreck in progresss.

“Obama’s mission was clear….” please pray tell let us all know what that mission is because I have yet to hear that from anyone… ANYONE in the administration.

Go ahead and criticize Bush… you can’t support nor defend your Messiah when HIS OWN WORDS contradict all that he is doing today.

This is bad people, stop and ask yourself WTF are we doing there and why there and not anywhere else.

5. “Whine that he doesn’t do enough then whine that does anything at all!
    Classic.”

Soros approved talking point…. Classic

Don’t fall for it people. Democrats are also wondering WTF the President is doing… they have from day one… watching them trying to explain was painful. They have not a clue either.

6. concernedtacoma7 says:

The Speaker asked the president for clarity and a defined mission. Somehow that is wrong? What was wrong was instead of getting congressional approval Obama took his family on vacation.

Not using the lessons learned from Iraq would be a mistake by all.

7. BlaineCGarver says:

**sigh** All this politics, and no one giving a hoot about removing a dictator.

8. If the man could have been as decisive about Egypt or Libya as he was on his NCAA picks. WPO(yes Jimmy, you are no longer the worst president ever)

9. LOL, meant WPE, not WPO

10. Blaine – help me out here, why do we remove a dictator from Libya?

Why Libya and not the other hotspots, they also are trainwrecks in progress, Syria is smoking some of its protestors?

Just curious… some one asked me and I didn’t have an answer. My view is something is wrong about the way we are prosecuting this action. I got a bad feeling that we opened a can of feces and will be forced to eat it at some point in the near future.

anyway… just curious and actually open to discussion.

11. puyallupmutt says:

The two reasons Obama went after Libya are
    a. Gadaffi personnaly insulted Obama and he is so thin skinned he wanted immediate payback
    b. The French, Germans and Brits were armed fueled and ready and he wanted all the glory before they grabbed it.
    The man is an egomaniac and harbors racism in the many forms of reparations and is now despised by nearly the whole world except Kenya and Indonesia for some reason.

12. BlaineCGarver says:

RR98411

My guess/opinion is that if a people show want, desire and action, perhaps we should jump in and give them a hand.

13. Fred, “non existant weapons of mass destruction in Iraq”? What killed all of those Kurds, the flu? Use your head man. Weapons of mass destruction come in a variety of types. As for the innocent civilians being killed in Libya, what do you think would happen if tens of thousands of people took up arms and marched on Washington D.C.? Would they be “innocent civilians”? And finally, where are those photos of the civilians killed by our missiles that the Arab league complained about? It’s funny how the media hasn’t shown them.

14. Roncella says:

Alfred, All I can comment on in reference to your letter is” Oh My God” !!! You can’t truly believe what you have written, you just can’t ????!!!!!

15. I find it somewhat suspicious that all of the sudden the Mid-East is blowing up. What was the cue that set them off? Who’s organizing this? What role does the American left play in it? Where’s George Zoros and his army of activists and anarchists? This all looks to be too well coordinated by someone besides a bunch of street corner thugs in Libya and Syria and Jordan and Yemen and Bahrain etc etc. Why is the “muslim brotherhood” taking over in Egypt? Just a few questions to ponder. Coincidence? I doubt it.

16. whatIdid says:

Nice try flamo. Have you stopped to ponder why, after the Nobel Peace Prize recipient formerly named Barry Soetoro took office, all this extra strife is taking place???

17. ItalianSpring says:

Obomba is the best the libs could ever do. Somewhere jimma khatter is smiling.

18. Blaine – based on previous experiance I guess I wanna know who I am laying down with before I support them. I have yet to see any analysis on who these “rebels” are. This has blown up in our face before and will again if we are not careful.

I am also surprise at how this appears to have caught us off guard. If it is not an act then that should give us all pause as we really don’t know who any of these people are.

Appreciate the feedback…

19. geeterpontiac says:

“ItalianSpring says:
    March 25, 2011 at 1:49 pm
    Obomba is the best the libs could ever do. Somewhere jimma khatter is smiling”

So is Tricky Dick Nixon.

Anyone else notice the shell-shocked expression on H. Clinton’s face as of late?

I detest Hillary, but, what I see is a woman who knows three times as much as her boss who has resigned herself to a personal hell (dancing for the incompetent) for the sake of the Dem party.

I almost feel sorry for her. :)

20. Soros approved talking point…. Classic

Invoking Soros……Classic.

Saw something where some folks are petitioning the Nobel committee to revoke Obama’s prize as he has launched so many drones and missiles since gaining office……makes sense to me.

21. Reading the comments for the far right wing nuts on this thread alone one has to wonder just what stunted their maturity.
    It would be hard to find a more childish group of whiners.

22. menopaws says:

You know what really pisses all you righties off? He pulled things together in about 10 days—-the United Nations came on board, the coalition was put together and the mission began……….Here is a reality check for you people–this isn’t a war—-it is a military mission and members of the coalition are doing a fine job……Not swaggering up to a microphone and yapping about “Bring it on”…….This President treats the other member of this coalition with respect and guess what—it’s all about teamwork here…….All those Republicans whining about the deficit—now they want us to run the Libya show………Let’s keep those defense contractors in their districts happy right? As for consulting Congress—those a-holes would still be “dithering” to use their favorite word and people would still be getting shelled by armored tanks……..Competence just scares the hell out of all of you……One last thing—he gave multiple press conferences while he was in Latin America…..He was clear, the generals were clear, the Secretary of Defense was clear, and so was the Secretary of State. Sorry if all their statements were difficult for all of you to understand……..10 years in Iraq and Afghanistan with tax cuts……..Yeah, the deficit is Obama’s fault………He did this for the right reasons and to protect our costs…….the whining of the right is really just pathetic. Your envy is showing!

23. “Reading the comments for the far right wing nuts on this thread alone one has to wonder just what stunted their maturity.
    It would be hard to find a more childish group of whiners.”

OK, it’s official… you got nothing…

24. menopaws – the left is “whining” too… what are you not reading.

25. I’ve got a C-note on Obama against anything that the CONs can put up in 2012.

I’ll double the bet if Palin or Bachmann are on the ticket.

26. So many right-wing experts here. It is amazing you have the time to comment considering the time you must spend on your expert consultations with the world’s leaders.
    Of course I know the comments are knee-jerk responses to a President who can think and that drives you crazy.

27. Funny all these exploited gop members all understood the clarity bush gave us… lolol… man.. they crack me up. Bush gave us so many rationales for the war we lost count.
    Menopause, government is only all screwed up when the republicans do it. Took Bush 5 days to get to New Orleans.. even Canada was there first.
    You are exactly correct. Its a selfulling prophecy the rightwing.. being so inept at governing while complaining about how bad governing is..proving their own point. They can’t stand competent government because its disproves their sociopathic ideology.

28. publico – President who can think is fine… but sometimes a set of cajones is what is needed…

29. Oh yes….cajones…..and a flight suit to match, complete with codpiece.

::::::::::::sigh::::::::::::

There is something to be said for a man that can run head first into a brick wall and make a hole.

There is more to be said about the man that realizes the brick wall can be scaled or walked around.

30. “Soros approved talking point…. Classic”

For someone who is rarely seen in the public eye or heard in a public venue, Soros certainly gets a lot of concern from the CONservatives.

31. X_6zero – I said a President who can think is fine, we need a man with cajones also. Both, get it!!!

By the way you got anything on the Rueters article. “…strong and decisive military leader…” thats the cajones part…. at 17% not very big though…

“more than a third see him as indecisive in military matters.” Thats gotta hurt his feelings… at least a little.

Roaches like the dark…

32. Before Obama acted, his critics accused him of “dithering.”

Thanks for pointing that out, Alfred. I got quite a laugh out of watching the parade of CONs use “dithering” like it was an everyday word.

It was a classic example of how Lutz crafts a message and they all parrot the message, similar to how a hypnotist uses repetitive words and phrases.

Since the proper definition of “dithering” is “nervous indecisiveness: nervously confused indecisiveness in the face of alternative possible actions”, I’m somewhat more amused.

I would seriously hope that any President would be a bit nervous and indecisive in the face of making a major decision in terms of any kind of acts of aggression.

It beats the hell out of a pre-conceived notion of attacking a country and cooking up reasons, regardless of truth.

33. rr….save your cajones for someone else. I’m not impressed by cowboy bravado. We got our fill of that crap from 2001 to 2009.

“more than a third see him…..”

At any given moment there is about 30% of Americans that hate Obama strictly because he is…….Barack Obama. Add 4% to that and you have “more than a third”.

Big deal.

Obama has spent the all of his life being hated by a segment of Americans strictly because of the color of his skin at birth. I don’t think you are seeing someone that is going to worry too much about people who hate for the sake of hate. It’s an old routine that he’s used to by now.

34. “rr98411 says:
    March 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm
    publico – President who can think is fine… but sometimes a set of cajones is what is needed…”
    You mean like the ones that got us into Iraq and have cost us hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of US Military lives?
    I like my guy better.

35. rr – try reading that story with your CONservative hat on the hat rack.

You’ll find just a bit of ambiguity, if you are any kind of scholar of polls.

Nowhere in the story can I find the actual questioning method.

Only 17 percent see him as a “strong and decisive leader”

Interestingly, only 20% “strongly supported” the actions

Do you see the parallel? I sure do.

Also interesting is how “Of those polled, 48 percent described Obama’s leadership as commander in chief as “cautious and consultative” didn’t become the story lead….unless, of course, the writer had a bone to pick.

I’m not sure of the politics of Arshad Mohammed, but I am sure that he has an interesting way of presenting data from a rather open ended poll.

How about this?

Almost half of Americans polled find Obama to be cautious and consultive before taking America to war

Doesn’t hurt at all….

36. whatIdid says:

“Invoking Soros……Classic.”

No… invoking Fox News is “classic”… and tired.

37. ItalianSpring says:

38. “ItalianSpring says:
    March 25, 2011 at 7:32 pm
    Could Obomba beat anyone in a fist fight? Before you answer, remember he throws like a little girl. I know I could take him, and his flopping wristwatch too.”
    Sounds like a duel to me and about the year they did that is where Mr. Spring is in his thinking. Did you mean to say his limp wrist? I wonder??
    You do not need to answer because we already know?

39. Roll_On – what is getting old is the denial that race is not an issue. When you have 51% of polled Republicans that believe Obama was born in Kenya, only a fool will try to play like race isn’t the issue. How many white people would be accused of being born in Kenya?

Now, try to explain how his “policies” make people believe he was born in Kenya.

Just look at how the media is handling the current alleged death count to see the bias and in the tank for this guy the left is.

Where in the world did you copy and paste this from?

“current alleged death count”??????????

40. Just remember folks:

Almost half of Americans think that Obama is cautious (safe) and “consultative” (advisory)

41. hansgruber says:

Morals? Bombing a sovereign nation that is having a civil war? Where is the morality in that?

Really?

42. harleyrider1 says:

I feel out of place… just being an “American”. I don’t need to put another country’s name in front of my country’s name.

I’m just an “American”.

I don’t identify myself by any political party as anyone with an education knows all the parties make blunders, mistakes, and often are vindictive.

I’m just an “American”.

I wish more people in my country were “American” first and maybe they would be the country first. Bickering, finger-pointing, name-calling, believing you are perfect and having to have to be from two countries does not make you a better American. It makes you less.

43. harleyrider – yeah…just like the middle 1800’s?????

44. the3rdpigshouse says:

How can fumbling ineptitde qualify as “moral clarity”???!!

45. whatIdid says:

Barry’s a sandwich grabber… he waits around for some to make it, then if it looks like a good one… he grabs it.

46. Obama is more suited at picking NCAA winners than to run a country. His track record on both counts are pathetic. X6zilch, “now try to explain how his “policies” make people believe he was born in Kenya”. How about street corner organizing? How about mandated health care for all? How about his comments about “gas prices will necessarily be sky-high? How about 20 years of listening to “Reverend” jeremiah Wright and then saying ” I didn’t hear any of that”? How about bowing to every head of state from China to the mid-east? How about his demonstrated dislike for the Brits by sending the bust of Churchill back as one of his first official actions? I could go on but for the sake of brevity, I’ll stop here. Oh, one more thing, why the reluctance to show his birth certificate? Why doesn’t anyone in Hawaii remember him before he was 12 years old? O.k., I’ll force myself to stop here.

47. “Street corner organizing” indicates you were born in Kenya.

Quick, someone tell the followers of Jesus about that……LOL The street corner organizer of history must have been born in Kenya, rather than Bethlehem.

Mandated health care for all – every modern country in the world has this, thus their origins are all Kenyan.

I don’t know which is the most misquoted – Obama or Reverend Wright, so I’ll pass on that silliness.

Intended as a symbol of transatlantic solidarity, the bust was a loaner from former British prime minister Tony Blair following the September 11 attacks. Quit reading the British equivilants to FOX.

Bowing is Kenyan? Then what is kissing – as done by George Bush? Was Bush not born in the US?

Sake of brevity? Please stop so that I don’t laugh until I wet myself.

I wonder how many people picked Duke to lose in the Sweet 16?

48. “so that I don’t laugh until I wet myself”
    I knew it…

49. http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthcertificate.asp

There are hundreds of others….but for the sake of brevity, I’ll stick with this.

50. Considering that at my age, being a male, the inability to go is the issue…..if I wet myself from laughing, you KNOW I laughed hard…..

Churchill bust? It was returned to England when Obama redecorated the Oval Office – a tradition of all presidents. The story? Just google “Churchill bust” and there is so much info that you can spend the rest of the day and not hit Media Matters (they do hate that one, don’t they????) and Huffpo.

Media Matters takes CONservative lies and exposes them.

51. Frosty – isn’t it interesting that the Taliban is a CONservative religious organization?

Are you the greeter at Walgreens?

52. “McIntyre described the philosophy behind the Web site as based on “freedom” and “common-sense values.”

Buzz word alert.

53. Differences between Libya and Iraq:

1. Cooperative effort from UN and NATO
    2. Intervention based on truth
    3. Iraq wasn’t attacking their own in 2003 until Shock and Awe.
    4. No one has said one word about “mushroom clouds” or WMDs
    5. No carpet bombing of civilians is taking place in Libya. (shock and awe)

Join in and have some fun. Add to the list.

54. Organizing for America

55. Well all you Liberals & Progressives & Democrats the Great Community Organizer will be giving another speech Monday.

Get your Popcorn popped and your Obama koolaid all ready and turn your TV’s on to your favorite cable channel, MSNBC and Watch in shear pleasure as Chris Mathews starts to get his tingling up and down his legs while Obama is Speaking. Whew, !!!!??

Yep, the Great Tele-Prompter is loaded and ready to inform everyone what a great job President Obama is doing and Pelosi and Reid too. OH YEA !!!!

56. Frosty got real quiet. Must have gone to a Taliban meeting.

57. Hay What, here is another of those inconvenient facts I like to throw at the right people.

Removing Gaddafi is not a part of the UN resolution.

General question to all: How many recently retired Flag Offices have come out against Obama’s Libyan Operation as opposed to the number that came out against Bush’s Iran Occupation?

58. I wonder if we’ll have to put up with Sarah Palin’s “answer” to Obama’s speech

59. hansgruber says:

Differences between Libya and Iraq:

1. Cooperative effort from UN and NATO

1a) Iraq had 49 countries involved an UN resolution 1441

2. Intervention based on truth And not authorized by Congress

3. Iraq wasn’t attacking their own in 2003 until Shock and Awe.

3a)In 2002, a resolution sponsored by the European Union was adopted by the Commission for Human Rights, which stated that there had been no improvement in the human rights crisis in Iraq. The statement condemned President Saddam Hussein’s government for its “systematic, widespread and extremely grave violations of human rights and international humanitarian law”. The resolution demanded that Iraq immediately put an end to its “summary and arbitrary executions… the use of rape as a political tool and all enforced and involuntary disappearances”

4. No one has said one word about “mushroom clouds” or WMDs

4a)United Nations Security Council Resolution 1441 is a United Nations Security Council resolution adopted unanimously by the United Nations Security Council on November 8, 2002, offering Iraq under Saddam Hussein “a final opportunity to comply with its disarmament obligations” that had been set out in several previous resolutions (Resolution 660, Resolution 661, Resolution 678, Resolution 686, Resolution 687, Resolution 688, Resolution 707, Resolution 715, Resolution 986, and Resolution 1284). [

5. No carpet bombing of civilians is taking place in Libya. (shock and awe)

Join in and have some fun. Add to the list. and get it right

6) Biggest Difference? Bush had authorization from Congress and Obama did not.

60. “5. No carpet bombing of civilians is taking place in Libya. (shock and awe)

5a) Strategic bombing is a military strategy used in a total war with the goal of defeating an enemy nation-state, Carpet bombing, often confused with strategic bombing”

——————————————————————————-

“strategic bombing and carpet bombing are confused” LMAO

Yep….you are confused. Ask a dead Iraqi citizen the difference.

“Bush had authorization from Congress” –

2a)The Iraq Resolution or the Iraq War Resolution (formally the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002,[1] Pub.L. 107-243, 116 Stat. 1498, enacted October 16, 2002, H.J.Res. 114) is a joint resolution passed by the United States Congress in October 2002 as Public Law No: 107-243, authorizing the Iraq War.”

Lotsa words……but hans, as usual avoided the truth. Bush deceived Congress to get “approval” See point #2 of mine. The intervention in Libya is based on truth. Then remember ‘mushroom clouds, wmds, etc….

I’ve got a new one to add to the original list:

6. Covert agent not outted during Libya campaign.

61. “hansgruber says:
    March 26, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Roll_On says:
    March 26, 2011 at 7:00 pm
    And the snail is quiet…..

———————————————————————————————
    Geez, Roll_On…..give me more than 6 minutes to respond. Frosty is still MIA

62. K

:-)

63. A president does not need Congresses approval to commit military forces for up to 90 days.

Bush needed Congress’s approval because it was going to take over the 90 day limit to build minimal force needed to invade and occupy Iraq.

64. Carpet bombing: to bomb in a systematic and extensive pattern, so as to devastate a large target area uniformly. Examples: fire bombings of Dresden and Tokyo.

Strategic bombing is aimed at destroying the economic ability to wage war rather than destroying an opponent’s armed forces. Examples: bombing the Ploesti Oil Fields and the British Dam Buster Raid.

65. xring…..as part of the “X” family, you are, as am I, addicted to THE TRUTH.

66. It is difficult to believe that there are still people out there who are defending Bush’s interpretation of the UN resolutions and the Iraq War Resolution passed by the US Congress.
    He was going to war no matter what and the resolutions were only small stumbling blocks. The US resolution was passed based on known (to the neocons) false information.
    There are no resolution questions about our involvement in Libya and no false pretenses.
    The uproar in Congress is mostly about power.

67. What IS interesting about Libya and the other nations that are seeking freedom is that the “insurgents” are the “good guys” this time.

War of rhetoric.

68. hansgruber says:

xring says:
    March 26, 2011 at 7:38 pm

The War Powers Resolution requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days

69. hansgruber says:

Obama said the U.S. would not send ground forces to Libya- 03/18/2011

70. hansgruber says:

@xring

Biggest Difference? Bush had authorization from Congress and Obama did not.

71. X60, not only to truth, but also to justice and the American Way.

Hans, the War Powers Act requires the Congress to be notified ‘within 48 hours when they are in session or within 48 hours when they come back into session”. Thanks to Speaker Boehner our half-time congress is not currently actually in secession.

Also, the 60 day period does not begin until Congress has been officially notified, and there is an additional 30 day drawdown period before all troops have to be withdrawn.

72. hansgruber says:

@xring

Obama said the U.S. would not send ground forces to Libya- 03/18/2011

So there will be no 30 day draw down

Biggest Difference? Bush had authorization from Congress and Obama did not.

73. Novelist3 says:

And Alfred writes another letter. How many does that make this month?

74. …………One……………

Alfred’s last letter was February 18th.

75. hans is exercising the “say it enough times and it becomes truth”

76. Hans, here is just one possible situation that would active the 30 day drawdown period. If UN or other troops were to be introduced into Libya, Obama could use the 30-day period to cover their withdrawal.

77. If Limbaugh ever played any audio tape without doctoring it, I’d eat a peach pit.

78. It’s pure genius to take a name from an old TV sitcom?

In that case, Frosty, I dub thee “Archie Bunker”

I’m am now a genius.

79. Roncella says:

frosty, Watching sargent Shultz on M.SNBC is very entertaining, its actually funnier than saturday night live. Shulitzes facial expressions are really hateful and angry but so is his whole show.

Limbaugh named him perfectly, Sargent Shultz, fits him to a Tea. (tea party)

80. I wonder if I would be a double genius to call two people “Archie Bunker”

81. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WObY922U-Ms

O’Reilly demonstrates how to keep his cool.

Nothing hateful or angry there, huh?

82. Using Alfred K. LaMotte type logic, North Korea, Iran, Syria, Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe should get a visit from American air power. And Yemen, too. All are killing their own citizens in large numbers. Git ‘er done.

The nice thing is we’ll need to replace all the “smart” bombs and Tomahawk missiles used. So there’s going to a bump in the numbers of new hires. A few more hits from the list above and the economy will start to look pretty darn good during the run up to 2012.

83. “camas says:
    March 27, 2011 at 6:49 pm
    Using Alfred K. LaMotte type logic, North Korea, Iran, Syria, Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe should get a visit from American air power. And Yemen, too. All are killing their own citizens in large numbers. Git ‘er done.”
    It is much more complicated than that. Yours is over-simplified nonsense. Do you not read for comprehension?

84. “hansgruber says:
    March 26, 2011 at 10:25 pm
    @xring

Obama said the U.S. would not send ground forces to Libya- 03/18/2011

So there will be no 30 day draw down

Biggest Difference? Bush had authorization from Congress and Obama did not.”
    Obama did not need authorization according to analyis I read and Bush’s authorization was garnered from phony intelligence that everyone except you and a few other nuts have not accepted as reality.

85. hansgruber says:

@Publico

Obama is doing the same as Clinton did in Bosnia

after 60 days, his mission is Kaput, Congress won’t back him.

Bottom line, once again because it is the truth,

Bush had authorization from Congress and Obama did not

You cannot deny it

86. hansgruber says:

X_6zero says:
    March 27, 2011 at 9:08 am
    hans is exercising the “say it enough times and it becomes truth”

It is the truth:

Bush had authorization from Congress and Obama did not

87. hansgruber says:

@ publico

“Bush’s authorization was garnered from phony intelligence that everyone except you and a few other nuts have not accepted as reality.”

So Congress, Colin Powell and the 49 other countries that joined the colition to invade Iraq are the “few other nuts”?

88. hans go read the War Powers Act. OBAMA DID NOT NEED CONGRESSES APPROVAL FOR WHAT HE DID.

89. frosty – your standard of what makes someone/something genius is quite something.

90. madmike272 says:

Of course you will Alfred, because you have NEVER in your whole life, written anything that wasn’t left-leaning!

91. hansgruber says:

@xring

I was talkng about the differnce between Libya vs Iraq.

I know what the War Powers Act says.

I’ll say it again so you might understand it:

Bush had authorization from Congress to use miliray force against Iraq, Obama does NOT have authorization from Congress to use military force against Libya. Obama can wagehis personal war against any country for 60 days under the War Powers act.

I am not a fan of Gaddafyi (however he spells his name) but what I see is a civil war inside Libya and we just stuck our nose in it.Does any see a problem?

92. Hans – give it a rest -‘personal war’ – the last thing we keed on tis post is another right wing troll spewing FOX entertainment talking points.

93. the3rdpigshouse says:

How can the bumbling activities of a marxist/socialist community organizer like “OH-Bummer” be equated with “moral clarity”???!

94. Beerboy, genious is being able to use a parody of people’s own words to demonstrate how silly they are. Rush maximizes that by playing parodies of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Chris Matthews, Wolf Blitzer, et al, by using the words right out of their own mouths, no editorializing needed. Secondly, i would also define Limbaugh as a genious by having the ability to hold such news outlets as NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, Media Matters hostage awaiting his next words. Whether you want to admit it or not, he has an army of liberals waiting daily to listen to and record his every word. He is providing jobs for a lot of liberals.

95. x-6zilch, how do you like your peach pits? Sugar coated or dipped in chocolate? You say Limbaugh doctors his audio clips? Prove it. Don’t bother using Media Matters as a source, they are a bunch of leftists which automatically labels them as liars. BTW, I’ll accept the Archie Bunker label, I’d rather be called an “Archie Bunker” type person than a Leftist any day. Try again.

96. hansgruber says:

xring says:
    March 28, 2011 at 8:05 am

Well, the personal attack responce equats to:
    I can’t argue so I’ll just attack you personally.

97. Hans, more like your pathetic excuse of an argument does not rate a rebuttal.

98. I, the Chosen One, will allow my voice to be heard by the masses. It is clear that you have not risen to my level and are incapable of comprehending the wisdom of my ways. So I will speak tonight…

Hear me… speak to why I have started a kinetic military action when I have yet to grasp the other two
    Hear me… contradict my words on unilateral action without the consent of Congress and have you forget “The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.”
    Hear me… as I explain to you why Congress is now irrelevant, they serve no purpose for me
    Hear my hypocrisy… as I explain why this “humanitarian” action is just and all others are not worthy of my time or attention
    Hear me… as I tell you I will turn over the lives of our young men and women by relinquishing my command to others
    Hear me… subject our young men and women to the will of the United Nations contrary to the laws of our sovereign nation
    Hear me… hide behind the War Powers Act and have you believe that my actions are just compared to the peons that have held this exalted office before me
    Hear me… school my Secretary of Defense and Secretary of State in the ways of clarity and non-contradiction
    Hear me… not say a word about Syria and have you magically forget that country even exists
    Hear me… explain this… http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110325/481/urn_publicid_ap_org4f5e66f76c6043fab3de0d477ff216c6/
    They really love me… really they do…
    Hear me…. Watch me heal the great Pulitzer Prize winning Eugene Robinson who is “Dazed and Confused by the Libyan Mandate” He shall be healed
    Hear me… blame the previous administration with verbal skill and cunning

Hear me… hear me… hear me…

And you will believe my words… you will tingle before me…. You will gush at how I have strung a few sentences together…

I will then leave you to guess amongst yourselves at what I have just said…. while I will play a round of golf…

99. Look–the right is real big on the name calling of our President………So, let’s see how you like this…… Rush Limbaugh grew up in Cape Girardeau, Mo…………I also grew up in Missouri. Around the time of his youth and mine, his hometown was best known, throughout the State as being the place where young black families moving into town, were greeted by the city fathers with cross burnings on their front lawns………Fine, fine people. He came from that crowd and hasn’t changed much. His hometown, fortunately, did move forward…..So, whatever the big, fat druggie has to say is a big source of amusement to me. He lives a rich fantasy life….and makes a lot of money by conning those with their brains frozen in the 1950’s. Our “socialist” President just upsets all those loser white guys who never got past using the “N” word. He is smart, compassionate and more competent than most people give him credit for…….And, he didn’t get elected by talking down to the electorate. He raised the bar for most of us. Those of you who don’t understand what he is trying to do need to name call……..Your loss……

100. Seriously Fred, this is the best you can do? Your Quaker pacifism suddenly takes a 180 when it’s your guy in the hotseat? A main point of your argument is, “hey they did it, too!” Please. You’re a hypocrite and your letter is drivel.

101. menopaws: “He is smart, compassionate and more competent than most people give him credit for”

Keep telling yourself that, homes. :) He’s a charlatan and his resume as community agitator is a joke. Just not ready for prime time. Wasn’t ready for the senate actually. Or state senate. Or PTA officer. :)

102. “Look–the right is real big on the name calling of our President………So, let’s see how you like this……”

Before Barry even became a senator “the right” began to grow a thick skin from all the name calling and personal attacks on then President Bush. Seems pretty obvious the lefties could deal it with much aplomb, but are extremely thin skinned now that they’re on the receiving end.

103. Roncella says:

xx98411, Well Said, So True.

By Now Daley and others have loaded the Great Tele-Prompter Full and all President Obama has to do is use his great speaking skills to deliver the information as written for him in the Great Tele-Prompter.

When he is done he can rest assured that the Lame Stream Media including wolf Blitzer,CNN and Chris Mathews, Sargent Shultz, Rachel Maddow,MSNBC, and all the rest will be awed in the glow of just having heard President Obama’s speech as read from his tele-proompter, the tinkling up and down their legs will be difficult to hide.

104. “Secondly, i would also define Limbaugh as a genious by having the ability to hold such news outlets as NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, Media Matters hostage awaiting his next words.”
    —————————————————————————————————
    It’s sort of like a trainwreck, no one wants to look, but you can’t help looking to see if there is a dead body.

Meanwhile, I’ll call him a “genious” also…whatever that is

105. I heard that Obama isn’t going to use a teleprompter.

He’s going to make crib notes on his hand, talk about things that have nothing to do with the subject and tweet the rest.

106. Parkland – can we see your Harvard degree? I’ll even accept a TCC degree, if you can present one.

107. Parkland says:

X_6zero, no, you can’t see my Harvard degree. And you can’t see Obama’s, either. Just try. :)

108. One hour and four minutes until the Chosen One speaks…

can you feel the tingle coming? My left big toe is feeling all warm and fuzzy…

109. menopaws, how’s that medication working out? Doesn’t seem like it’s done much for you. Guilt by association, that’s would you’re alleging. Because Rush happens to come from a little town in Mo. that “maybe” has a few racists, makes him one also? So I guess that by using your (logic)?, you are also one? You have some issues that are too big to be resolved here. I strongly recommend you seek professional help for your PMS condition. Get hold of “Big Sis” Napolitano or Hillary for some ideas on how to handle those hot flashes.

110. Parkland, he can’t see Barry’s birth certificate either.

111. x-6zilch, thanks again for the Archie Bunker comparison. I don’t remember the name of that clod son-in-law of his but I’ll bet you could qualify for the part. I may even change my handle to “Archie Bunker” since you brought it up. Try again, anything but a liberal or leftist please. That would really be a low blow. BTW did you see the video of the anarchists in London? They must have went to their local Walgreens and bought out all of the black hoodies and backpacks, not to worry, I’ll place a special order for you and your pals in time for the next riot. I wonder if Soros has stock in a black hoodie/ backpack shop? Hmmmmmm.

112. xx98411, great comments, my hat’s off to you. Regrettably, what you said has more truth than fiction.

113. Sadly they are just a summary of what I have read and seen over the past nine days. I could have gone on…

114. Parkland says:

Frosty, did you notice he slid in his Nazi reference with “Reich wing”? Classic!

115. 30 minutes…

Got my goat cheese, tofu, veggies, milk… non-fat of course

Got my MSNBC all tune in…

The anticipation is just driving me batty…

116. What in the h**l is this kinetic miltary operation nonsense ? Must be a term invented to further confuse pacifists and liberals. I have to run now and get my popcorn ready for Barry’s latest news conference, this one is in front of a military audience to try to gain a little credibility.

117. Parkland, yes, I noticed but didn’t want to dignify it with a response.

118. Got the music tuned up… singing the song… Anticipation… he’s making me wait…

Do you think he will answer why we are in Libya?

Do you think he will explain his rational?

Do you think he will tell us why Libya? Why not Tunisia… Egypt… Syria… Yemen?

Do you think he will tell us when we will be out of Libya?

Do you think he will show us his birth certificate?

Do you think he will assure us it was not because of our European “friends” need for Libyan oil?

Do you think he will tell us why he said what he said on the campaign trail about Bush…. And why it doesn’t apply to him… being a Community Organizer is easy compared to being President.

Do you think Robert Gates will finish the week?

Do you think he will introduce us to the “Rebels”… maybe in a future beer summit? Once you get pass the crappy rifle handling, yelling and screaming, firing at blue sky, and stuff they seem like a nice group of fellas.

15 mins… I have to take some Quaaludes to calm me down…

119. Parkland says:

I just about blew milk out of my nose when he spoke about his bi-partisan congressional approval! Classic! Just say it enough, and it’ll become true in the minds of the dimwitted. :)

120. whatIdid says:

… Meathead Frosty… and you were right.

121. I am on pins and needles waiting for the post “Hollywood Obama hypocrisy speech” analysis from xx98411.

:-)

122. xRoll_On says:

I am with you Roll_on….

123. I’m not done dryheaving… hold on…

124. Frosty “Kinetic military operations’ is just a made up term from “On War” by Carl Von Clausewitz.

Parkland – it was bi-partisan consultation.

125. xRoll_On says:

Oh, come on, that came from the Washington Post, that is meaningless…..

;-)

126. hansgruber says:

I see Donald Trump wants to see President Obama’s birth certificate…hummmm

127. Parkland says:

xring: “Parkland – it was bi-partisan consultation.”

Um, yeah, sure man, whatever you say. (wink wink)

128. hansgruber says:

Wow, Did Obama just justify Bush’s action against Iraq or what?

129. xx98 – actually I watched the President’s speech with a calm open mind so I could hear what he said.

130. xring – though I am a snarkie b-stard right now as I am sick and tired of DC (and Olympia), I do believe inbetween my snarkiness I have asked valid questions and made valid points (@Obama’s past statements vs his actions today).

I have heard what he has said, forgive me I am disappointed and expect more… no not more, better from my leadership. I suspect that so have others heard what he said during his campaign and are at best baffled by his actions to disappointed also.

I have heard him and sadly he and his administation is no better than some of the other morons (and company) we have voted in office.

131. When I lived and worked in Cape Girardeau, MO, the Chamber of Commerce had a slick brochure with a walking tour of historic homes in the town. Under the Limbaugh home the write-up included a description how little Rush, as a high schooler) used to throw water balloons from his second-story bedroom window onto the children who trick-or-treated on Halloween. Such a funny guy!

Same town where a mother and her daughter were spat on by a drive-by tobacco-chewing “patriot” as one of many who abused the few who stood in vigil along the road to express their concerns about the upcoming Iraq invasion. There were a few who had the courage of their convictions to wrap themselves in flags and carry pro-war slogans directly across the street from us but most were content to “bravely” shout obscenities out the window of their speeding cars.

132. Parkland says:

xring: “Parkie – wink wink – is there something wrong with your eyes as well as your ears?”

Nice.

Anyway, have at it, man, you go ahead and swallow whatever lies this “community organizer” (haha!) shoves down your throat. As a rabble rouser, he never expected nor wanted results, as that would have depleted his stable of agitated urban trash. (read: useful idiots) Problem is, as president, he’s expected to achieve results, and he just doesn’t have a clue how to do anything besides get people riled up at the man.

133. Parkland says:

bB: “Rush, as a high schooler) used to throw water balloons from his second-story bedroom window onto the children who trick-or-treated on Halloween.”

Oh, the horrors of throwing water balloons on Halloween! The state should provide life long counseling to those poor, traumatized victims! Who ever heard of teenagers pulling pranks on Halloween of all days! My God, I’m going to have to go home sick now…

134. menopaws, you obviously know nothing about how Rush made his millions. He spent one semester in college and decided that he didn’t need the brain-washing that he saw there. His family wanted him to be a lawyer, he decided to go on his own rather than leech off of his family. The millions that he’s made did not come from his family, he earned every dime of it. If coming from a town where some of it’s citizens were prejudiced makes one a racist, I suspect that Obama coming from Hawaii and Chicago also makes him a racist too. We all know that Hawaiians use racist comment about white folks all of the time. If you want to see real racism as a white person, take a stroll around South Chicago, make sure you have police escort. As for whether Obama came from a wealthy family, he was raised by his well-to-do grandparents, both of whom were well known radicals just as his mother and (father)? were. So when you start throwing words around about Rush Limbaugh, keep in mind that he is a private citizen, pays his taxes and is doing quite well. He is not the president of the United States who should be held to a higher standard. Your attempts at comparing the two is ridiculous.

135. beerboy, water balloons? That’s nothing. We used to tip over out-houses when they were occupied. Ever try lighting a bag of doggie poop in a paper bag on fire then putting it on someones porch, ring the door bell and run away? How about soaping windows? Water balloons? Get serious.

136. menopaws, Mark Twain you say? Isn’t he the guy who wrote ” The adventure of Huckleberry Finn”? You know, the book that is rife with perjorative language about Afican Americans which was common language in your native state at the the time? Bad bad reference, try again.

137. menopaws, You had better get your Obamacool aid out and keep it close as Donald Trump is not going to let go of this Birth Certificate issue about President Obama.

Trump does make an interesting point. Why doesn’t Obama show his actual birth certificate and put this to rest once and for all ?????

Its also odd that no one remembers Obama attending school certain years of his early life. Most all his college records and who paid for his colleges seem to be locked up and unavailable for anyone to read.

As Trump has said you can go back and check my life out from birth to the present its all there for anyone that wants to check, but when it comes to President Obama thats not the case, there are big blocks of time that are missing from his past, as is his official birth certifcate.

138. Ronnie – do you actually believe that if there were anything fishy about Mr. Obama birth certificate or his life the mighty Koch’s and other right wing sugar pimps would not have found and published it by now?

139. Roncella, it could be that they are waiting until the next election is near before dropping the bomb. If anyone can find out the real story, it’ll be Trump. Some states are already trying to pass laws that would require any candidate for president to prove citizenship. This story is not over yet.

140. menopaws says:

Yeah Roncella–the Federal election Commission was bought off……what is wrong with you people?…….He furnished records—John McCain was born in Guam—but, the white man doesn’t have a problem with his citizenship……..BOTH of them had to furnish records and BOTH of them did………Get over it—-it makes you look racist and it makes all of you just look plain stupid…..And, Donald Trump–the ultimate salesman is playing all of you for a score…….Obama’s Mom was born in Kansas and gave birth in Hawaii………Which is and was, at the time of his birth, a State in this country………He didn’t need the Supreme Court to help him win his election, did he???? Really dumb stuff and it’s sad all of you have to go to such a sick, dysfunctional place………Can you spell racist?

141. xRoll_On says:

Guess the filters won’t let me say what I want here.

142. xRoll_On says:

Okay tried 3 times so forget it.

I don’t think asking someone to show a birth certificate and a transcript makes the person asking the r word.

143. The racist card… precious.

144. xRoll_On says:

I guess you can say racist, but not rasism on the board.

145. This story is not over yet.

Only because there are some amazingly stupid and gullible people in the US who will believe anything in order to discredit the legitimacy of the 2008 election results.

146. Are these the same people who will believe anything in order to discredit the legitmacy of the 2010 election results… just askin’

Good campiagn in 2008, no question… 2010 was also a good campaign… looking forward to 2012…

147. xx – ??????

Haven’t seen any concerted efforts to discredit the legitimacy of 2010 election. Yes, there are many who don’t accept the far right claims of a mandate to destroy unionism, NPR and Planned Parenthood but, I have seen nothing equivalent to the birther b.s.

148. hansgruber says:

menopaws says:
    March 29, 2011 at 4:44 pm
    Yeah …..John McCain was born in Guam—but, the white man doesn’t have a problem with his citizenship……..BOTH of them had to furnish records and BOTH of them did………Can you spell racist?
    John McCain in the Panama Canal Zone in 1936 not in Guam
    In 2008 the US Senate had a hearing and resolution about McCain ability to run for the Presidency (See Res. 511: A resolution recognizing that John Sidney McCain, III, is a natural born citizen). They did not for Obama.

Yet another who doesn’t have her facts straight

149. menopaws, you don’t know what you’re talking about, that’s stating the obvious. McCain’s father was in the U.S.Navy and both parents were American citizens. Trying to compare McCain’s birth to Obama’s is a lame attempt to legitamize Obama’s highly questionable status. His father was not a citizen. You know, you would be better off just sitting at home and talking to yourself, at least you’ll get one person to agree with you.