Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

ECONOMY: Efforts designed to destroy the middle class

Letter by George Robison, Gig Harbor on March 14, 2011 at 9:40 am with 14 Comments »
March 15, 2011 8:20 am

In his 1937 inaugural speech FDR said:

“In this nation I see tens of millions of its citizens – a substantial part of its whole population – who at this very moment are denied the greater part of what the very lowest standards of today call the necessities of life. I see millions of families trying to live on incomes so meager that the pall of family disaster hangs over them day by day. . . . I see one-third of a nation ill-housed, ill-clad, ill-nourished.

“We are determined to make every American citizen the subject of his country’s interest and concern. . . . The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

His remarks would fit today, with efforts in many places designed to destroy the middle class, make people worse off so that they will accept lower wages and standards, and provide more to those who have so much they have problems spending their money.

Tags:
  1. Yes George, and they are called republicans.

2. “Help the needy. Help those who are incapable of caring for themselves.”
    Other than that, “I’m not my brothers keeper!”

3. Uscha – “not my brother’s keeper”. then you are not a Christian.

4. George, FDR made that statement 74 years ago. How have things improved during that period? We still have tens of millions on the dole. The “Great society” thing didn’t do it’s job all that well. What it has done is to force manufacturing jobs out of the country and created an entitlement society.

5. “A chicken in every pot”. He spoke of “the necessities of life”, not two cars in every garage with a HDTV in every room. There are many people living in Japan at this moment who would be happy to have what our so-called “poor” have now.

6. Xring. “I believe that’s the first correct statement you ever made.”

7. BlaineCGarver says:

This country has to have the best off poor people in the world. Anyone doing without the basics do so because they are ignorant, or do not want to ask. This does not mean I don’t recognize that the middle class has been taking it in the shorts for quite awhile. But, and this sucks, a publicly owned company’s responsibility is to make money for the stockholders, not make others happy. Yes, I’m blaming wallstreet, who’s azz we just saved, and they are still sticking it to us along with the pols that support them.

8. We also have the best off rich. And even our poor lived better than the rich did just a few centruries ago.

Making money is one thing. Making obsene amounts at the expense of others is a horse of a differnt color.

AS 30 – 40 BILLION in profits and not one cent in taxes.

9. mattersnot1 says:

xring,
    This Washam debacle has really opened my eyes to who is getting rich off of other people’s money. It’s politicians and government employees. I could hardly believe my eyes when I started checking how much the employees in the Assessor/Treasurer’s office are making. I then started looking at other government offices and found out just where the majority of my tax dollars are being used. At least, I have a choice if I don’t want to make Bill Gates richer. I don’t have to buy his products. This is not true for making government employees richer. I am forced to pay taxes.
    There are new classes nowadays, the super rich, the rich (those who are paid by the working poor) and the truly poor. Of course, the poor are needed to justify the need for the rich.

10. bobcat1a says:

Well snot1, typical propagandist tactic. Find a few people who are corrupt and use them to tar anyone who shares a characteristic with them. You’re playing the same game that says since a few priests are pedophiles, all priests are evil. False equivalency is cheap theatrics and dishonest besides..

11. mattersnot1 says:

bobcat1a: A liberal female. You can always identify one. They start right out with name calling and smear tactic.
    I didn’t call anyone corrupt, just overpaid, on my dime.

12. Roncella says:

George, Get off your left liberal thinking koolaid quick, your losing your ability to think Clearly.

13. menopaws says:

This is not just about the poor in our society—the middle class is under siege. Stagnant wages, jobs being shipped overseas. health care too expensive and our safety net being significantly undermined by either Wall Street or Congress…………We keep tax cuts for the rich, but want to cut benefits for social security and Medicare……..I’m sorry but I don’t see the basic logic behind that…..And, yet, those Republicans want to cut the deficit…….No cuts in defense spending, but plenty of cuts to what the call “entitlement” programs that support the poor and the middle class……….No raising taxes, no cuts to their defense contractor buddies…..How stupid are people? As my accountant put it last week:”The dumbing down of America is almost complete” Most people prefer not to add or subtract–they listen to the spin dished out by politicans who are bought and paid for. Anyone who balances a checkbook knows these people are liars.” It’s hard to listen to people talk about the “socialist” agenda when they don’t even know what socialism is…….Dumb. dumb, dumb…….

14. frosty – “at least it isn’t as bad as the Depression and we aren’t dealing with aftershocks, tsunami and nuclear meltdown!”

Glad you have such high standards for what is good enough for the American Dream in the 21st century!