Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

CLIMATE: Global warming and the radical left

Letter by Paul F. Adan, Tacoma on Jan. 31, 2011 at 11:25 am with 33 Comments »
January 31, 2011 11:25 am

I was surprised to see an article about winter storms and global warming (TNT, 1-30) which made reference to Jeff Masters from the Weather Underground.

Is the author not aware that the Weather Underground, with roots at the University of Michigan, is named after the radical left-wing terrorist group from the 1960s and ’70s? This is the group which actually bombed the Pentagon in the early ’70s. It’s also the same group whose co-founder, William Ayers, helped kick-start President Obama’s political career.

It’s one thing to argue about whether or not manmade global warming is actually occurring. It’s quite another to rely on bloggers with radical left-wing ideas to provide accurate information about global warming.

1. I know it doesn’t do any good to provide facts to paranoid conspiracy theorists like the letter writer, but the Weather Underground Organization (WUO) of the 1960’s and the Weather Underground, Inc. founded in 1995 have only the location of their founding in common. The weather provider, btw provides all of the AP weather summaries, so I guess you think the AP is advocating the violent overthrow of the US government, too.

2. sharkie69 says:

Someone please tell me this letter is satire

3. Mr Adan – I gotta ask… did you make any attempt to google the name of Jeff Masters? It was the second link in my search. Read a bio of the guy. He too was probably 7 years old when Ayers was playing chemistry.

TNT… this letter… really???

4. You’re sure of your facts, sue? As for Ayers being a respected professor of education….well he IS a professor I guess. Respected? You’re quite sure of that?

And rr, though I doubt that Mr. Masters is associated with the orignial WU, don’t kid yourself. Lots of “kiddies” who were just seven at the time have grown up to be part of activities that no doubt rival the WU. Heck some of them probably work in the current administration! :0)

5. denismenis says:

Hmm? Is this satire?
    Obama was 8 years old during Ayers’ heyday.
    And the link between the Weather Underground and warming?
    This letter makes as much sense as defrosting my Eggos on my car’s defroster – a link, yes, but nonsensical.

6. sharkie69 says:

denis:

shhhhhhhhhhhhh! sozo has a good conspiracy going.

Probably forgot that Obama was in Indonesia during Ayers terrorist career.

7. olbluedoc says:

President Obama is really a Muslim – he must be, he won’t show is birth certificate. He is secretly plotting with Professor Ayers and Kieth Olberman to manipulate the weather. They will take over our minds when we all get hypothermia and convince us to sign over our health insurance premiums. We will all then end up leftist, socialist, commie-zombies defrosting Eggos on our car’s defrosters. There, I said it. It must be true. I’ll keep repeating it until all of you accept it.

8. ItalianSpring says:

Still no mention of the east coast being literally douched with snow this year. Global warming? LOL Facts and reality keep getting in the way.

9. harleyrider1 says:

Let’s get back to those that actually believe in Global Warming. 33-states could use some this week. Algoran is at home in front of his fireplace quietly counting his millions having closed most of the businesses he received federal energy grants for and sold product from, for those years. Who bought all that stuff anyway?
    Oh well. Nice to see countries held a “Global Warming” convention last month in Mexico -and not Chicago. The U.S. Presidential envoy promised millions of dollars and new restrictions on U.S. corporations that are still trying to remain in America.
    P.T. Barnum said it best, didn’t he?

10. beerBoy says:

sozo – He is a retired professor in the College of Education at the University of Illinois at Chicago, formerly holding the titles of Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar

Perhaps you are going to try to parse the difference between “respected” and “Distinguished”……….

11. beerBoy says:

literally douched with snow

Such a class act.

But ISsie, all the predictions I saw for what would happen due to the phenomena that has been coined “Global Warming” included massive shifts in storm patterns – both in the winter and the summer.

12. sue1234 says:

Yes soso I do have my facts straight and a simple google would have proven that. Remember Adan and Soso and Italian spring SNOW isnt the oppostite of Global Warming.
    Italianspring bad mouthing me is all you have? Pathetic

13. spotted1 says:

Anyone been to Snoqualmie Pass this last week? The snow is melting off up there at an amazing rate.

Of course, you don’t have to believe that global warming is occurring. You can just complain about the water restrictions and heightened water bills when there isn’t enough….We could sure use some of that “not global warming winter” over here…

14. I would simply say, bBoy that “respect” is not an appropriate term to describe Ayers in the minds of many people. Distinguished in his work in education, okay…though I imagine I would not respect a lot of his notions about education were I to study them.

15. I imagine I would not respect a lot of his notions about education were I to study them.

16. eagle_beak says:

obviously there is a lot of misinformation available to anyone who looks for it or doesn’t look for it. that is why so many commenters feel they just have to put up links, as if they back up their opinions. anyone can manipulate facts and figures in any direction they want. …….i say just have the courage to say it is — your opinion. an opinion can be based on correct or on misinformation and can be based on experiences the person has had throughout his life. it matters not to me. i just enjoy the variety of opinions people have and the opportunity we all have to put our opinions out there.
    God bless America and help us keep our country free!

17. beerBoy says:

I find it funny that those who profess a faith in forgiveness as a central tenet of their religion can’t allow themselves to see anything that Bill Ayers has done in the past 40-50 years since being put on trial for his actions.

18. sozo, I have read a lot by Ayers on education, and no, you would not like what he has to say. His basic message is that we have taken “critical analysis” out of our way of teaching, especially in the scientific method we relied on in the past for our great achievements, and especially by Bush’s reforms that required tests that measure a dumbed-down factual knowledge but not how to do any analysis using that knowledge.

He studied other countries education and found ours severely lacking because of the need to placate the religious right when it comes to the hard sciences. Even though many countries use indoctrination techniques for political purposes in their education, currently successful countries in terms of scientific achievement leave the hard sciences alone in that area. In the US, we do not. We cater to the religious fanatics among us that deny human impact on climate, talk about evolution as something that hasn’t been proved and indoctrinate religious concepts into our sciences. So, no, I don’t think you would enjoy his messages.

19. Roncella says:

tuddo, What a shame that you can only comment on what you think is wrong about America and not what is positive and good about America.

If you believe that Climate warming as professed by al gore is true thats your right but that does not make it correct or true. There are many weather experts who have a totally different view about whats causing weather changes ocurring today.

20. penumbrage says:

bB – A passing familiarity with the facts would strengthen your argument substantially.
    Ayers was never put on trial – Bernardine Dohrn was, but without the wiretap evidence (declared illegal) she only got 3 years probation and a fine (in spite of the SF cops she killed and maimed) and charges for some two dozen bombings were dropped for Ayers.
    While he seems to have toned the violence down the last few decades, I still have about as much respect for Bill Ayers as I do for Ted Kaczynski, Timothy McVeigh, Eric Rudolph or any other extremist loon who believes (to this very day, in Ayers case) that high explosives are a viable form of political expression. At least the other three paid for their crimes instead of having a technicality that prevented prosecution delude the more gullible among us into believing they were innocent, respectable citizens.

21. charges for some two dozen bombings were dropped for Ayers.

So the prosecutor never had enough evidence to take him to trial.

22. It should be noted that the Weathermen, unlike the other extremists with explosives you noted, made efforts to destroy property without taking lives. The only death that occurred due to the Weathermen is when they blew themselves up.

This doesn’t diminish their crimes, nor excuse Ayers from his culpability, but it suggests that they were less heinous than the others you had listed.

23. penumbrage says:

The FBI had extensive proof of the WUO’s guilt, right up to the point when the supreme court ruled that electronic surveillance required a court order and all the pre-ruling wiretap evidence had to be thrown out. If you often mistake the inability to legally prove blatant guilt with respectable innocence your moral compass may need to be re-aligned (or you may already be a lawyer).
    Three weathermen died (two survived) in the Grenwich townhouse fiasco when the nail bomb they were building detonated prematurely. If you want to wake up America ‘harmlessly’ you use black powder and soft containment (noise, smoke and almost no damage), if you want to make people fear for their lives and tremble at your name (terrorize would be a good word) you use nails, staples, bullets and dynamite like the WUO did.
    Bernardine Dohrn wasn’t at all careful in San Francisco when her nail and bullet bomb (timed for a shift change at a police station) went off early and only killed Sgt. Brian McDonnell (and maimed Officer Robert Fogerty for life). Larry Grathwohl, the FBI infiltrator, quotes Ayers from 1970, “It was a success. But it’s a shame when someone like Bernadine has to make all the plans, make the bomb and then place it herself. She should have to do only the planning.”
    The Ayers quote from the Horowitz interview says it all, “Guilty as hell. Free as a bird. America is a great country.”

24. beerBoy says:

Penumbrage – stating that there wasn’t enough evidence to prosecute is not equivalent to claiming innocence. Re-read this part of my previous post:
    This doesn’t diminish their crimes, nor excuse Ayers from his culpability

My understanding was that the Weathermen were intent upon creating property damage (more than just making non-damaging but scary flashes and noise) but attempted to avoid the taking of life by setting off bombs at times when buildings were presumed to be empty and that it was after their “accident” they realized that this wasn’t just theatrics but life and death that they were playing with so they disbanded.

I was unaware of the Bernardine Dohrn bomb. Clearly that was a transition in their terrorist activities (that includes their earlier “vandalism” bombings) into a direct assault upon human life.

Given the nefarious activities of COINTELPRO, I am cautious of quotes from FBI informants. There are far too many examples of government agents being directly responsible for pushing groups to violent actions to just blindly accept their word without a certain amount of skepticism.

Horowitz? Would that be the former Maoist David Horowitz who has utilized Cultural Revolution techniques in his neo-con re-birth? Not aware of the interview but, if it is the same Horowitz I would likewise not ascribe anything resembling integrity to him.

25. penumbrage says:

bB – They stuck to their ideals and tried not to hurt folks in the beginning (partially by chance, their timer bombs couldn’t know if a janitor or maintenance guy was close) but they lost faith and before they finished (after Ayers left) they ended up killing cops and a guard in an armored car heist.
    Heck, they started out as the non-violent SDS, but any organization of 100,000 will have some fringe extremists. The ones who believed they had to do more than peacefully protest to stop the government gravitated together. Out of those pro-active types were distilled the ones who didn’t mind (or failed to see) the epic hypocrisy of using violence to protest violence (a bit like Ghandi pulling a gun on Lord Irwin) and they formed the WUO to fight for peace.
    Much like the WUO, COINTELPRO was doing the wrong things for the right reasons, remember many of those decisions were from Felt, the man who couldn’t stomach Watergate and let the world know.
    I wasn’t nominating Horowitz for sainthood, he was just the interviewer when Ayers uttered that perfectly concise summation (according to Time).

26. beerBoy says:
    February 1, 2011 at 5:31 am
    literally douched with snow

Such a class act.

Submitted by beerBoy on October 8, 2008 – 12:54pm.
    Do you have any response to anything that doesn’t show you as an ass? I write a post appreciating your previous response and you come back with a total jerky response. You truly are a douche.

beerBoy says:
    January 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm
    The pot keeps seeing his reflection in all the shiny kettles……

LOL!

27. beerBoy seems confused on the difference between “forgiveness” and forgetfulness… or he’s demonstrating “willfull ignorance”.

28. ij – perhaps you should go back and re-read the exchange between penumbrage and me. We had a thoughtful exchange, penumbrage taught me something which I acknowledged.

And then you felt the need to butt in to which, with a slight variation for context, I respond to you:
    October 8, 2008 – 12:54pm

29. penumbrage – thank you, I enjoyed this exchange. I learned something. I also appreciate your nuanced understanding of the (d)evolution of what started as a peaceful movement with the best intentions into a terrorist cell.

30. whatIdo says:

Sorry… ItalianSpring pondered “Still no mention of the east coast being literally douched with snow this year.”

You came back with “Such a class act.”

I only contrasted the exchange with your words “… You truly are a douche.” My bad.
    ….
    I followed that post pointing out your “forgiveness” false dichotomy.

31. penumbrage says:

bB – Thanks yourself, I enjoyed the exchange. Viewpoints and information can actually be shared and debated without name calling, maybe not without a gentle poke here and there, but certainly without resorting to grade school tactics.
    Whenever I’m tempted to respond immaturely (all too often) I remind myself that even if I don’t really care what folks here think of me personally, I can still make my side of any issue look badly reasoned, petty, mean and foolish by responding with rudeness (make that ‘unwarranted rudeness’ – I reserve the right to savage the savages if required).

32. whatIdo says:

Good words P.

33. “That, my dear, is a prime example of willful ignorance in order to keep one’s biases unchallenged. ”

No, bBoy, it is a prime example of reasonable presumption, and yes, there is such a thing. I presume, based on a variety of things I’ve heard and read about Bill Ayers that I would not be a fan of his in any domain. That doesn’t mean I would never agree with anything he said.

Tuddo, your presumptions about me on the other hand are not reasonable. I believe that critical thinking is the foundation of a good education. I am certainly not afraid of science, and I daresay that educators in the U.S. have not “catered to religious fanatics” in the area of science or any other area.

I appreciated the exchange between bBoy and penumbrage too, though I have to say I find it fascinating to observe you bBoy…able and willing to carefully analyze (AND extend grace) to those with whom you are inclined to agree– without being so generous and gracious to folks who camp on “the other side” of the river.

Which makes you no different from the rest of us, a fact which I believe you find difficult to swallow, yes?