Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TRANSIT: Bus service crucial to Puyallup Fair

Letter by Kent Hojem, Puyallup on Jan. 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm with 17 Comments »
January 21, 2011 1:11 pm

The Puyallup Fair & Events Center endorses Proposition 1, the “Save Our Buses” measure on the Feb. 8 ballot in Pierce County.

Bus service is crucial to not only the Puyallup Fair and Spring Fair, but many other activities and events held at the Puyallup Fair & Events Center.

Cuts in service of 35 percent will eliminate Pierce Transit’s Fair Express buses to the Puyallup Fair. The buses transport riders from six convenient locations in Pierce County to the Puyallup Fair & Events Center during the 17-day Puyallup Fair. More than 100,000 people from Pierce and King Counties who attended the Puyallup Fair last September took Pierce Transit’s Fair Express.

The bus service helped considerably in lessening the traffic around the fair. Without that vital service, it will be more difficult for people to find parking near the fair and will add congestion with approximately 50,000 more cars on the roads.

(Hojem is CEO of the Puyallup Fair & Events Center.)

1. redneckbuck says:

If the county stops providing buses, a business opportunity for someone like me might open up.

2. nokoolaide says:

It would be silly for Pierce Transit to run buses during special events when they are actually full of paying customers.

3. Rowdy_Rob says:

Of course the CEO of the Puyallup Fair & Events Center endorses this. Otherwise, they would have to resort to such tactics as buying up the neighboring properties around the fair so they can expand…

4. puyallupmutt says:

How about the Fair laying on its own bus service ? they can afford it. Lets face it, they just received what amounted to a $2.8M gift engineered by Puyallup’s Mayor Kathy Turner of State and Sound Transit tax dollars upgrading their Red Parking lot under the “tale” of “its for the “Sounder”.

Is it a coincidence that the hired gun advisor who represents both the City and the Fair on these matters is the same person (Gil Hulsmann) who just happens to enjoy an 85% waiver on his condo property taxes ?

Do you see a pattern here ?

5. BlaineCGarver says:

Gawd, what a shameless plug.

6. This is a scare tactic used by Pierce Transit to get some voters riled up. If they do cut off service, they will show that they really do not have any interest in working on real solutions to their problems. I enjoyed the once free rides and the current low cost fares to the Fair and other events, but I am willing to pay more, even equal to the parking fee, so I don’t have to drive. However, I do not think the current proposal for tax increase is a useful solution right now, and I am one that is generally willing to pay more for services I don’t use much so that we can have a vibrant economy for all. What has management of PT given up in their compensation apckage? What have drivers given up? State employees have lost 10%-20% of their income and their health costs have gone way up, for example through pay cuts, furlough days and other reductions. Has that been done with drivers and employees?

The Fair subsidizes parking, and it can subsidize bus rides if it wants to. If Pierce Transit won’t do it, a private company will be glad to work with the Fair on providing service.

7. Concernedfather says:

I concur with Blaine. That WAS shameless & pitiful.

8. taxedenoughintacoma says:

Transit will rpovide all the buses they need. Don’t fall for this scare tatic. Now is not the time to raise any taxes. Have yo looked at the saliries and pay raises these union thugs demand. Just say NO to Prop #1. Don’t throw your hard earned tax dollars at them, make them manage the problem.

9. I agree w/all these comments to include not paying taxes for all of your children!! I don’t have kids in school, why do I have to pay for everyone elses kids! Stop wasting my tax money! Enact a bill so we don’t have to pay school taxes unless we have kids in the district! Lets all be selfish! This is the American way!!

10. Stop Wasting Tax Funds! Anyone know Tim Eyman”s email address so I can have him enact a bill to stop me from supporting kids in the district whereas I have no kids?! Just like all these comments, I too want my taxes not going to waste! I want to be part of the selfish Pierce County voters!

11. Ok where is my help when gas prices go up, or when my car insurance goes up. Let the ones who ride pay more. I’am tire of helping to pay for their rides and tire of the greed that the unions are all about.

12. Ummm Transit has raised fair prices….twice! The union has agreed to freeze pay raise for the next 2 years!

13. dmx_tre, you have provided news, indeed if you are correct about a 2-year wage freeze by Pierce transit drivers. The TNT today reports that negotiations have not started yet on a new contract with the union and there was no mention of a pay freeze. I would like to see a link or a reference to see what the union is saying, or do you have inside info? The drivers for Metro in King county agreed to a freeze for one year, 2010-2011, but they are wanting the same increase Pierce Transit drivers got the last three years, 4% each year. The director of Pierce Transit’s salary is larger than the head of the Federal Reserve in Washington.

14. Concernedfather says:

Yes, Tre, please tell us about this secret agreement that you know about.
    Otherwise, we can assume you don’t know what your spouting off about?

15. LOL! We are only waiting for the official vote; drivers have agreed….verbally so far to freeze our pay during this recession. Yes, we also don’t agree w/our CEO receiving such a huge salary! We are in total agreement about her outrageous pay!!!

16. alindasue says:

I remember the days before Pierce Transit started the special busses to the fair. Traffic on WA-512 would back up all the way up the hill into Parkland. 100,000 people riding those busses every year is probably a minimum of 25,000 cars that are not tying up the highways.

Even without all the other improvements in service that Proposition 1 would make possible, it’s worth adding a whole 30 cents to a $100 purchase just for that!