Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TACOMA: City manager’s raise over the top

Letter by F. Jeanne Baird, Tacoma on Nov. 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm with 34 Comments »
November 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Unfortunately for me, I chose to be born in the wrong century, of the wrong sex (female) and labor in the wrong profession (public school teaching) to ever have earned a yearly salary to match the yearly raise just granted to Tacoma’s city manager, Eric Anderson.

Alas and alack.

Tags:
  1. The only thing this guy has managed effectively, his his salary. Cut services and take “backpay” and a raise, what a guy.
    Hope he doesn’t break down by the road and expect me to help. But, then again, I probably will just to show him I have a lot more compassion for others than he does.

2. jacknojack says:

I just got off the phone with Mayor Marilyn Strickland( she was nice enough to call me ) The raise is part of a contract signed 2 years age with Eric ,so If the city fired him it would cost tax payers 300K to get out of this contract. Also if he deferred the raise to next year he would have gotten 70K and a 17% raise WOW !!!! … My question to Marilyn was Why would any city allow it self to be held Hostage to a contract based on future tax revenue when it’s very hard to predict as it is now ???? Look at the Utility’s Rate hikes for 2011. 8.9 on power and 8.7 water. based on 2007 Incoming taxes to the city

The mayor was nice but I still got the run-around. IE I know it’s not good timing-EPA mandates- all taxes will be used only for upgrades not raises

So the beat goes on more taxes,higher raises each and every year!!!

3. Don’t be jealous. Eric’s salary is nothing compared to what Obomba has spent in the last 18 months.

4. And yet the city has no problem not honoring its contracts with the workers unions. Just another example of the incompetent getting rewarded for failure.

5. alindasue says:

Italian Spring, if Mr. Anderson’s salary were going towards running the city, I might say your comparison was valid.

If you are speaking of his personal spending – As a successful lawyer, lawmaker, and author, President Obama was wealthy before he took office. He doesn’t make any more money as president than he made in the civilian world because he already had a lot of money. So, if he chooses to spend his money on the occasional “vacation” with his family, who are we to speak ill of it… especially since half the time he ends up working during his vacations too.

What I want to know is who signed such an outrageous contract with Mr. Anderson and why? The president doesn’t even have such a lucrative pay schedule!

6. Zillahboy says:

Jeanne Baird wasn’t just a teacher. She was an outstanding teacher who touched many lives. Former editorial page David Seago may have never pursued his career without Jeanne’s’ guidence and encouragement at Gault Junior high.

I had the pleasure of working with her at Gault and knowing her three wonderful daughters.

7. tree_guy says:

I can understand why you feel like you chose the wrong profession to pursue.

I don’t understand how you chose to be born in the wrong century and chose to be the wrong gender. Those aren’t usually thought of as things people choose.

8. tree_guy says:

There is an appropriate remedy for city officials making too much money. Voters must demand that candidates for city council declare a conservative agenda. Electing liberal candidates who in most cases have no experience in the private sector is a prescription for spending problems of the sort we are witnessing everyday here in Tacoma.

9. County Council Member Dick Muri Republican/Conservative Candidate, for Congress in the 9th District voted for a 21% pay raise for the County Council while voting to deny county workers a scheduled raise.

10. tree_guy – any evidence that the high salaries given to management is strictly a liberal phenomena?

Here in Idaho the State Board of Education gave 10% increases to the University Presidents (while positions and programs were being cut and no raises/promotions for any faculty and staff). A “liberal” in Idaho is someone who is only 15 degrees to the Right of Center.

And…….consider the private sector and those obscene compensation packages given to CEOs…….

11. remember how the TARP funded those million$ bonuses given to the top management of financial companies who had made the disastrous decisions that crashed the entire world’s economy and how right wing commentators were defending them as contractual obligations……….

12. We need to stop paying for a City Manager, who we don’t elect and doesn’t have to answer to the citizens of Tacoma. We have a mayor- that is all we should be paying for. If we got rid of the office of the city manager, it would save over $500,000 in salaries alone. We could keep the libraries open or hire more police- anything that actually benefits Tacoma.

13. Sumner401 says:

Conservatism is the problem, not the answer.
    The broke red states are more than proof of that.

14. tree_guy says:

finn, the managers office and it’s duties are spelled out in the city charter. we can’t just “stop paying” him.

bBoy and xring, those big pay raises for local officials and college presidents are not OK with me, and I don’t think they were occasioned by people I would call conservatives. Tarp money shouldn’t have been used to reward top executives in the private sector. That’s also not OK with me. Government should be operated with unwavering frugality.

15. tree_guy says:

tree-guy, I might remind you that the economy we now enjoy is due directly to conservative mismanagement and 80% of our debt is due to conservative spending. sumner

Doubt if you can support this conclusion. I would say the primary driver in our economic problems is the decision in the 1960s to allow organized labor to determine how much public services should cost. We are paying very dearly for this mistake.

16. finn –
    Tacoma functions with a weak-mayor structure, wherein much of the decision making power rests with City Council and the city manager’s office.

17. Sumner401 says:

LOL!!
    Are you hanging out with aislander?

The fact that the conservatives held total power of 12 years and spent like drunken sailors is easy for me to prove, your idea…..I really want to know how you came up with it, I really do.

18. tree_guy says:

“That is one claim that I insist you back up with some sort of facts or even your own twisted ‘logic’ and explain just how you got such an unrealistic idea.” sumner

Many of the government jobs require little formal training and could be performed by workers with high school certificates. These people could be paid minimum wage ($20K per year). However because we allow the labor unions to set a special wage for them a lot of these jobs end up costing the taxpayers $50K-$70K per year…or more! Just pull up spreadsheet of salaries for government workers. Compare the simple job descriptions to the salary and I think you will find the proof you require.

19. aislander says:

tree_guy: Some members dismiss without disproving, merely declaring victory, deriding and moving on to the next drive-by posting. It really isn’t worth the irritation generated by engaging them…

20. Sumner401 says:

Thats your “proof”??!!
    You think the wages should be lower and some of them are union jobs so you some how draw the conclusion that our entire economic problems are due to the unions??!!

Thank you for the laugh and for letting us all know, without a doubt, you haven’t a clue.

21. Sumner401 says:

and yet people still engage you aislander, amazing isn’t it?
    I do it for entertainment, I love to see the wild stuff you come up with!
    tree-guy may have topped you though…going to be hard to beat that one!

22. tree_guy restating your initial premise and being satisfied that that supports the initial premise is a classic example of circular logic.

23. aislander says:

Crafty!

24. T_g: a high school grade, 18 years old, just hired by the Federal government would state at about 22k to 25K a year depending on the job. The only jobs paying 50K or more would require a college degree and 5 to 10 years experience, or 15 to 20 years experience without a degree.

25. alindasue,if you think Obama was wealthy before becoming president,wait until you see his net worth,after his leaving office!I also am curious as to how much his (VACATIONS) cost him personally as opposed to what the (vacations) cost the taxpayers.How much did Micheles Spain Junket cost the American Taxpayers?

26. redneckbuck says:

I like you teach. You work 8 months a year. You work 7.5 hours a day and during which you get 1.5 hours off a day. Shut up and teach kids to add.

27. “Being part of an idiot mob might put you on the winning side but winning doesn’t make you intelligent”
    “Tea-totalers are as annoying as TEA activists in their inability to see anything but their opinion.”
    “The self-importance of the unimportant is rather bathetic.”
    “you are a living breathing definition of “false consciousness”.
    I’ll skip the Butch Otter comment

28. heWHOcannotbenamed.

Back to old tricks.

I am so happy I give you a reason to exist.

29. Sumner401 says:

redneckbuck, head on down the hall at your ‘school’ to the English Dept and sit in a few classes, you need it.

30. the3rdpigshouse says:

Here’s a good one!! Sumner actually had the audacity to insult the intellect of another individual??!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

31. Toyota’s Back? er Craftsman? Arts?

32. And I am the one who gets a warning email for the trib staffer…….!

33. Kooky