Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

L&I: State is anti-small business

Letter by Lori A. Sherman, Gig Harbor on Nov. 12, 2010 at 11:13 am with 28 Comments »
November 12, 2010 11:13 am

So workman’s comp rates are going up 12 percent or more. The voters just voted themselves a pay cut. Plus Labor and Industries didn’t want to announce that before the elections because they didn’t want to confuse the voters.

Again this state is so anti-small business. This year our unemployment rate rose and tripled what we paid last year. A business now has to pay a social tax rate toward unemployment to pay for all the businesses that went out of business last year. When does it end? When is our state going to encourage small business growth rather than choke it out?

Tags:
  1. redneckbuck says:

Welcome to Washington, and no it will never end. Politicians want us all to be on welfare or in a union. That way the dems are sure to get elected every year. Democrats are poverty pimps.

2. While I agree L&I needs fixing, I voted against the initiative because passing a flawed law is the wrong way to go about fixing the problem.

That being said, It’s been my understanding that certain Democrats have been blocking legislation from coming up to a vote to fix the problems. That’s just plain wrong.

3. redneckbuck says:

4. Sumner401 says:

Bad legislation should be blocked……isn’t that the standard GOP party line when confronted with their obstructionism?

5. the3rdpigshouse says:

The socialist State of Washington is a sick society which will never change until the State is bankrupt and business all move across the borders. This is what you end up with when you constantly elect and reelect socialist democrats to run Washington!!

6. When does it end? When all the businesses Have been driven out of Washington!thirdpigshouse has the right idea!

7. donjames says:

Uhmmm… when seattle slips into Puget Sound and the resultant tsunami takes out olympia?

8. Redneck

– most jobs that pay $12 – $15 an hour offer only minimal benefits, and $15 an hour works out to $31,200 per year. In the Puget Sound Area, the Self-Sufficiency Standard or family of 3 (2 adults, 1 infant) is $43, 450 per year or about $21 an hour.

– the reason there are so many people willing to work for that wage is because right wing congressional goons have helped big business destroy the working class by busting unions and sending US jobs overseas.

-the Airlines Pilots Union and the Air Traffic Controllers Unions will be glad to know that they represent unskilled, unmotivated, semi-qualified people.

DonJames – three reasons why government employees need unions.

– The City of Tacoma just gave its Manager a 17% pay raise, while demanding employees accept a pay freeze.

– The Pierce County Council voted themselves a 21% pay raise, while refusing a 2.6% increase to its workers.

Congress voted itself a 2.8% pay rise and a 2.0 per cent raise for federal workers.

9. Sumner401 says:

donjames, do you need help packing for your move?
    Say the word and I can have 150 people on your doorstep and you won’t have to suffer living here any longer.

10. Roncella says:

redneckbuck, I notice none of the loyal liberal/dems who post here have not answered you question, about what have the African Americans who have supported the dems. for years and years got to show for their support ?

Its only at election time that the dems. give the African Americans any attention, and throw a few crumbs at them for their vote.

The lame stream media helps the dems. by always going to The Rev. Jackson or The Rev. Sharpton, whenever they want an opinion about black issues affecting the black communities.

11. Monopolies are suppose to be illegal but this state has 2 of them. L&I and the liquor sales.

12. JudasEscargot says:

redneckbuck says:
    November 12, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Can anyone tell me what this comment has to do with a letter about L&I?

13. JudasEscargot says:

hb says:
    November 13, 2010 at 11:51 am

False. Many employers use private insurance as opposed to L&I.

As to liquor sales, who really cares? If you really think the price will drop because it’s “privatized”, you are naive. Overnight the largest retailers will have the price fixed with just a handful of phone calls.

14. JudasEscargot says:

“The lame stream media helps the dems.”

Nothing like a Palinism to start the day. Who helped Palin pimp her book? They weren’t so “lame stream” when she toured the talking head circuit.

15. Sumner401 says:

Can anyone tell me what this comment has to do with a letter about L&I?

The right was losing the argument, like always and they need to deflect from the topic.

16. madmike272 says:

@sumner – If things continue the way they are, only you, your leftist unemployed mooching friends and illegal aliens will be left here. This state is anti-business as hell and you like it don’t you? I truly hope that large and small companies pack up and leave this leftist cesspool so you can rot in your utopian dream. Maybe after the naxt big quake, we can re-populate this once great state with normal prople again.

17. Being pro-small business doesn’t mean that we must be anti labor, Lori.

The people of this state did the right thing by voting against the workers comp initiative. The wrong thing would have been to dilute compensation by allowing mega corps insurance companies to generate more profit at our expense.

Small business would have gained very little, while the Washington workforce suffered the consequences.

18. the3rdpigshouse says:

Washington’s ignorant electorate is too stupid to vote the State out of L&I and out of the liquor business!! I think maybe the socialist democrats will feel better about themselves when we create an initiative telling them they should be running all the fast food businesses in Washington! Wanna bet how the ignorant electorate would vote on that one??!

19. Mad mike272 – I concur

20. Redneck – writes that “African Americans have been very loyal to the democratic party for the past 30 years. Can anyone tell me how that has benefited them?”

Maybe because they realize that their major problems are related to the economy, and the Dems seem to be the only party that supports all workers.

Also, most of the racial hate talk seems to me coming for the right wing Rebulicons.

21. Sumner401 says:

Madmike and larman you both are riot!
    Best laugh I’ve had in days!

22. Define “racial hate talk” and please explain how you would extrapolate it from this thread.

23. JudasEscargot says:

“@sumner – If things continue the way they are, only you, your leftist unemployed mooching friends and illegal aliens will be left here.”

Oh….now that’s better. Yesterday we were the wealthy liberal elite.

24. JudasEscargot says:

“thewho says:
    November 15, 2010 at 10:03 am
    Define “racial hate talk” ”

search engines broken?

25. JudasEscargot says:

“This state is anti-business as hell”

Thus the most famous billionaire in the world continues to grow his business in Washington State.

I wonder when Costco is going to outsource and move to a “right to work” state.

The owner of the small business for which I’m employed understands the value of his relationship with the negotiating group. There is no law that a small business has to be ignorant and bullheaded.

26. xring threw out the “hate talk” canard leading me to wonder how they define it.

27. thewho – go read Roncella November 13, 2010 at 8:39 am comment.

28. That’s why I asked. What, specifically, in that post warrants the label of racism?