Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

ELECTION: Message for all candidates

Letter by Emily Williams, Tacoma on Oct. 14, 2010 at 1:02 pm with 20 Comments »
October 14, 2010 1:20 pm

If I could talk to all the candidates, and if they would listen, I would like to tell them something very important to the voters: We do not care if you like your opponent or not. What we want to know is what you stand for and what you will do for me, my family and my country.

A product that is good can stand on its own merit. If you are the best person for the office, then tell me why. And be honest. I am sick to death of the smears and mud-slinging. That will get you nowhere.

If you want my vote, tell me about you. I am looking for the best “product,” and all the back-stabbing and mud-slinging tells me is that you are not the one I want to vote for. Enough already!

Tags:
  1. Emily Williams is talking to you Patty Murray.

2. chris3dog says:

Emily, I hate to tell you this, even tho the candidates may ask for your vote, they are not willing to go so far as be honest with you. You are just asking for too much. It’s sound bites…or nothing!

3. fanciladi says:

HEAR! HEAR!

Sad to say…they aren’t listening!

4. …unless you’re a commie-lib, then sling all you want because it’s a resume enhancement!

5. johnearl says:

We can only hope, Emily.

Intelligent people know that there is little reason to believe what candidate X says about candidate Y.

6. Pecksbadboy says:

Which mud, those from the candidates themselves, the partries, Crossroads GPS or the rest. The worst offenders are the out of state private pacs. The candidates themselves are pretty tame.

7. hortonpeak says:

To “Emily”, how many times have you tried to contact your elected representative, how many personal and I repeat personal missives have you sent, how many meetings have you attended? If you are engaged then the elected candidates do not need to tell you anything – their record is open to you. As for the opponents – good luck. But then, you can always rely on the campaign literature when you choose to engage every several years.

8. MadTaxpayer says:

My Gosh! Somebody finally has it right!

9. ItalianSpring – typical right wing rant – can’t debate using facts and logic so resort to name calling and character assignation.

10. bobcat1a says:

Mud works because the average voter is too lazy to learn the facts. They prefer the quick hit that tickles their biases.

11. The remote control’s mute button has come in real handy this year! I thought the prescription drug ads were bad, but, the political ads are worse. I’ll stick with beer commercials for Major League Baseball and National Football League.

12. My sister posted something on FB the other day about would you vote for Obama again? My reply was what I always have felt for a long time in ANY race, that I am voting for the lesser of two evils…..

Emily, right on!!!

13. OldLefty says:

ItalianSpring says:
    October 14, 2010 at 3:15 pm

This is a joke, right?

14. Roncella says:

xring, Name calling and personal attacks are the standard the Democrats are forced to use this election cycle.

The Dems. can’t run on the Obama Care Mess or Stimulus Bills where Obama and the Dems lied about having Thousands of shovel ready jobs available for out of work folks.

Obama admitted his twisting the truth in an interview two days ago, and it was not Fox News, it was a liberal friendly station.

Vote Dino Rossi for intelligence, Private sector job experience, Respect for the voters,

Lets retire dirty tennis shoes Patty Murray before she gets more voting instructions from Reid, Pelosi, Obama, Biden.

15. eagle_beak says:

there have been other letters regarding this issue with similar comments so i will add mine.
    i still would like to see a cap put on campaign spending. and yes, the many ads are annoying but we get this before most elections and it gets hightened when it is the midterm elections and presidential elections when all this starts about 18 months prior to the election.
    it truly is a good thing to try to be in touch with your representative and express your view regarding an issue especially if there is an upcoming vote in congress. also, those representatives that actually do have town hall meetings periodically give the most access to all views. it is very interesting attending these meetings.
    we all get the voting pamphlets mailed to us wherein each candidate states their qualifications and core views and each issues official pro and cons are listed. you can review this before you vote to help you make your choices and you can take it with you if you want. also, i recommend voting by mail as it is quite a luxury to sit down, relax with some coffee and just vote………

God bless America and help us keep our country free!

16. Rowdy_Rob says:

@hortonpeak No matter how many times you try to write/contact your representative, all you’re going to get is a standard form letter. Once elected they don’t care about us.

I say if you want to put any clown in office, vote for Ronald McDonald.

I’m Rowdy Rob, and I approve this post.

17. Emily – great letter. Our as we used to say ‘you have hit the nail squally on the head.’ Maybe if the politicians spent less time looking for MONEY to finance the campaigns they would have time to do what we elected to do.

Fan17 – you are wise beyond your years, and have identified the dilemma faced by all intelligent and independent voters. Before ‘08 I can’t remember the last time I did not base my vote, at least in part, on better A than B.

18. yabetchya – I did not, and do not, call anyone names, IS did and does.

Roncella – I don’t see republicans running on anything but hate, lies and name calling.

19. And once again Roncella provides us with another sterling example of how the right wing does not resort to name calling because they are too busy dishing out facts.

20. Sumner401 says:

Name calling and personal attacks are the standard the republicans are forced to use this election cycle.