Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

ELECTION: Kent Keel stronger pick for auditor

Letter by Michael Aaron Isaacson, Lakewood on Oct. 5, 2010 at 11:20 am with 13 Comments »
October 5, 2010 11:59 am

Re: “Julie Anderson for Pierce County auditor – again” (editorial, 9-29).

I was disappointed that the editorial board didn’t endorse Kent Keel for Pierce County auditor; it seems a very pro-incumbent bias.

I was extremely impressed with Keel, meeting him and hearing what he had to say about the job. Having two pieces of work in the Smithsonian National Museum of American History is nothing to sniff at, and he seems both capable and highly likable as a person.

You have a guy who is almost overqualified in the technical aspects of the job, has managed 100-plus people multiple times and in multiple settings (military, business, nonprofit) and is celebrated by those who know him, and he doesn’t get endorsed?

I find it difficult to imagine a better candidate in a county that needs more technical excellence and less drama.

1. eagle_beak says:

Mr. Aaron, thank you for your comments and information……. i will take the info you supplied into account when i vote. it appears Mr. Keel is well qualified.

God bless America and help us keep our country strong!

2. lgcnelson84 says:

Well said, Michael!

I think a lot of people underestimate Mr. Keel because he’s a reserved man who gets the job done. I sincerely hope more people see your letter and give Mr. Keel the consideration he obviously deserves.

3. Sumner401 says:

Sometimes the incumbent is the better choice, why cut your nose off to spite your face?

4. eagle_beak says:

depends how bad your face looks to begin with……

God bless America and help us keep our country great!

5. oldman4 says:

Sumner401, your always complaining about people not having solid facts to share and all you can give us is is a platetude about sometimes. Why vote for Julie Anderson? Please explain.

6. lgcnelson84 says:

Sumner would never say “Sometimes the incumbent is the better choice” if the incumbent was republican or at all conservative. Also, Sumner only wants everyone else to back up their claims with facts and figures, but never does the same, typical hypocrite.

7. headedsouth says:

Julie won a tough race against a encumbent last year that had been an elected official for many years. Keel did not even have the sense to check if he qualified to run for state legislator and then had to pull out of that race since he had a conflict of interest with his job. He then jumped into a race he could qualify for and stated it was a family decision. He has the bug to run for office versus having people wanting him to run. Anderson has done a great job by taking her name and face off everything unlike the former Auditors and she has been proactive going out meeting with organizations, schools, muncipalities to educate them about the Auditor’s office and asking how to save money and do a better job. Keel is a wannabe.

8. intheblack says:

I admit Ms. Anderson is an incumbent by virtue of holding the office, but as she has been in the office for less than a year, trying to labeling her as an incumbent is questionable.

I am sure Mr. Keel is a good person, but in running for a position on the University Place School Board, he has been tagged with campaign fines by the Wash. State Public Disclosure Commission in 2003, 2006 and 2008. This tells me that he lacks attention to detail, doesn’t follow rules very well or is not the best manager.

Also, at one of several public candidate forums, Mr. Keel informed the audience that he is truly the only independent candidate yet he attended the Republican Resurgence Rally in Tacoma. It is one thing to attend a political convention, but a very different thing to attend a resurgence rally for a particular political party while a candidate for a non-partisan office.

No matter our stripes, it is important to research the candidates prior to casting our ballots.

9. hopeandchange says:

I have known Kent Keel for a long time. Almost all of his friends (me included) are African-American-Christian-conservative-Democrats. When I say conservative I mean God, country, family, veterans, education, hard-working. That’s how many of us were raised back in the ’50’s.

He attended the Pierce County Democrate Convention and was treated very poorly . I appears that anyone running against Julie Anderson is automatically rejected by the “Democrate Machine”. In all their meetings, they did not even want to hear from Mr. Keel. He may have been attempting to make friends with some Republicans at the rally.

As for his “stripes”. I know him to be smart, fair, honest , independent and nonpartisan.

No question, he gets my vote!

10. intheblack says:

What about the campaign violations?

11. hopeandchange says:

I don’t know about that intheblack. Call Mr. Keel and ask him about it or keep making your assumptions.

12. intheblack says:

hopeandchange, no assumptions necessary – his campaign violations are public record, just visit the Washington State Public Disclosure Commission web site.

My take on it is that someone who is going to manage something as important as elections should know the basic rules before they start out on their own race for elected office such that they don’t run up against such infractions. Can you deny that?

In my mind, this is very serious business, very reflective of someone’s attention or lack of to detail and Mr. Keel should, if he is the honest person people say he is, explain it to the voting public why he was sanctioned on numerous occasions.

13. hopeandchange says:

Just went there intheblack and saw it for myself. Looks like he was late filing a form on those occasions. The form was filed and he paid the fine.

Filing a personal form late versus successfully managing multi-million dollar global projects and over one hundred staff on several occasions for many years; and being inducted to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History for his work that is directly related to Pierce County Auditor’s work….twice. Not on the same scale in my mind.

Would you agree there are a lot of rules and details that need attending to be successful at that level for so long?

And, when I say assuming, I mean assuming the “why” he was late.

Again, ask the man why he was late filing his personal form that is public record…or keep assuming.