Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

MARINERS: Greedy owners need to ‘Spend Big’

Letter by Sonny Silva, Spanaway on Oct. 4, 2010 at 2:03 pm with 7 Comments »
October 4, 2010 2:03 pm

The 2010 baseball season for the Mariners has mercifully come to a close. The 101 losses are just a statistic now.

I’ve read a lot of comments about why this team did so miserably when, at the beginning of the season, we were all told to “Believe Big.” Some insist it was a certain beat writer’s fault. Some think it was manager Don Wakamatsu’s fault, though he gave us a winning season the year before. Others feel it was the players’ underachieving that did them in.

I have my own theory of why this team had such a dismal season, and it has nothing at all to do with napping has-beens, supposedly inept field managing or players incapable of reaching their potentials. It has everything to do with greed.

The Mariners’ payroll for 2010 was $86.9 million. The final attendance was 2,085,194. I tried to work the numbers and there are just too many variables in the pricing to come up to an accurate pinpoint number as far as profit. Suffice it say with the price of tickets, food, drinks, programs, etc., the profit is in the millions, at least, even after overhead and payroll.

We all want to “Believe Big” and see our Mariners “Win Big.” The only way that’s ever going to happen is if the powers that be “Spend Big” on quality players and put more money into this team, not into their pockets.

Tags:
  1. truthbusterguy says:

Aren’t you glad now the dems in the state leg. overruled the “WILL OF THE PEOPLE” to build them a new statium with your tax dollars. It seems that they think they know better than you and overturn your ideas. See the pattern here. It’s time for a chaange in WA state. Please vote GOP.

2. Kevindot1 says:

truthbusterguy, I have never once been sad of getting Safeco Field. That was some of the best that has come out of the Washington State government. It was dropping the ball on the Sonics that ticked me off. And besides, go talk politics somewhere else.

3. Kevindot1 says:

Sonny, I agree with you 100% I wish Hiroshi Yamauchi would sell the team to Paul Allen! Paul Allen would make the Steinbrenners look like poor chumps!

4. Pray4Peace says:

I gotta agree with you there Kevin. This team needs an ownership willing to pay the money to field a team and not try and do it from the Dollar Tree store.

I mentioned on another thread how I feel Jack Z only wants to field a team from his much improved and talented farm team; all unproven young kids who will play for peanuts but in my opinion don’t have what it takes to perform at the big league level. Yeah he’s got Felix, and Ich, even Guti is good but who else? Figgins blows. The pitching is okay but until this team forks out the dough, we’ll be reading letters like this for years to come.

Good letter Sonny. Thanks. My thoughts exactly. :D

5. beerBoy says:

I know of no major sports franchise that isn’t supported by the tax-payer in the form of stadium construction – this is hardly a partisan issue, both Dems and Repubs (usually at the municipal level) have been guilty in this corporate welfare for professional sports.

6. artie_43 says:

The owners in Japan have very deep pockets.You have to wonder why their pride and joy Ichiro has not had more support.Do they not want Ichiro to win a ring?

7. eagle_beak says:

i agree. what started out as a promising season became loss after sad loss again. you could watch a whole game just to see us loose if for ourselves in the end. too much to pay to go to the stadium, it was sad enough to watch it on tv.

God bless America and help us keep our country free!