Letters to the Editor

Your views in 250 words or less

ELECTION: Zeiger’s college reflects classical education, not shameful views

Letter by Mark G. Hayter, Puyallup on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:19 am | 11 Comments »
September 28, 2010 9:19 am

Re: “Zeiger’s college reflects shameful views” (online letter, 9-27).

In attempting to disparage 25th district candidate Hans Zeiger, the letter writer inadvertently slurs himself by setting forth a letter that is replete with distortions and untruths.

In regards to Hillsdale College, the writer parrots an editorial from the Hillsdale student newspaper and treats it as if it as if that represents college policy and norms. Hillsdale was the first school in America to open its doors and charter to women and African Americans. It is a classical liberal arts college that represents solid traditional and classical scholarship.

As the father of a student who attended the University of Washington and who is now graduating from Hillsdale, I can attest to the quality, civility and scholarship of the school.

As for Zeiger, I have had the privilege of getting to know him over the last three years – before he was running for office. He is a straightforward, honest and principled young man whom I would trust in any situation.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.