Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

ELECTION: Zeiger’s college reflects classical education, not shameful views

Letter by Mark G. Hayter, Puyallup on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:19 am with 11 Comments »
September 28, 2010 9:19 am

Re: “Zeiger’s college reflects shameful views” (online letter, 9-27).

In attempting to disparage 25th district candidate Hans Zeiger, the letter writer inadvertently slurs himself by setting forth a letter that is replete with distortions and untruths.

In regards to Hillsdale College, the writer parrots an editorial from the Hillsdale student newspaper and treats it as if it as if that represents college policy and norms. Hillsdale was the first school in America to open its doors and charter to women and African Americans. It is a classical liberal arts college that represents solid traditional and classical scholarship.

As the father of a student who attended the University of Washington and who is now graduating from Hillsdale, I can attest to the quality, civility and scholarship of the school.

As for Zeiger, I have had the privilege of getting to know him over the last three years – before he was running for office. He is a straightforward, honest and principled young man whom I would trust in any situation.

Leave a comment Comments → 11
  1. ValleyTarts says:

I normally vote GOP, but Zeiger is too nuts even for me. The proverbial silver-spooned kid with big aspirations and no real life experience or people skills. Way too dangerous and self serving for the 25th district.
    I will like many GOPs in the 25th, hold my nose and vote for Morrell.

2. cliffallo says:

Hillsdale College is to be commended for putting its promise of equal treatment in its charter, but even Hillsdale admits that Oberlin admitted women and African-Americans in the decade before Hillsdale was founded. Both colleges deserve praise as pioneers in this regard.

3. meamNovelistTwo says:

“Hillsdale was the first school in America to open its doors and charter to women and African Americans.” Intersting. Hillsdale was founded in 1844 under a different name and moved and became Hillsdale in 1853. Oberlin College in Ohio was founded in 1833, enrolled African American students in 1835, and women in 1837 and is generally credited with being the first college in America to enroll women. Hillsdale was the first, by charter, to prohibit discrimination based on race, religion, or gender.

4. gswitzer says:

Once upon a time Hillsdale College was a great school. It emphasized solid education, personal responsibility, and honorable conduct. I graduated in ’77 and wouldn’t trade my time there for anything.

That Hillsdale is gone. Now it’s just a place for whiny, self-entitled boys to congregate and bask in the glow of their non-existent achievements. Their parents pay for everything and most students graduate never knowing an honest days work. It’s disgraceful.

5. Left wing nutjobs go to Evergreen State. Their right wing equivalents go to Hillsdale. Simple as that.

6. BlaineCGarver says:

Quote: “Left wing nutjobs go to Evergreen State. Their right wing equivalents go to Hillsdale. Simple as that.”

Wow, talk about living up to one’s sobrique…..

7. CrazyJim says:

Is straightforward like scrubbing all your writings from a host of right wing blogs and newspapers to appear mainstream? I know I’ll never look at a girl scout again without thinking about Hans. Yikes!

8. In my experience when a student paper says one thing and the offical policy says someting else, believe the paper.

As for trusting Little Hans, I would not trust him to help a girl scout across a street.

9. aislander says:

gswitzer writes: “Their parents pay for everything…”

There IS a price to be paid for cutting the governmental strings. Hillsdale accepts no public financing or publicly-financed or guaranteed student loans so that it can retain its independence. That means the parents pay or the students work or both…

10. villager98 says:

If Hillsdale, as a non-profit, pays no taxes then it is not self-reliant for its ‘independence’. It is subsidized by taxpayers who provide protection and infrastructure.

11. hillsdale college is a strawman. for those of you who lack a classical education that means hillsdale is not the issure. let’s stay focused on zeiger’s values and views. and accomplishments.

*
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

JavaScript is required to post comments.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0