Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

HEALTH CARE: Incentivize healthy lifestyles

Letter by Nancy E. Lamas, Seabeck on Sep. 23, 2010 at 4:14 pm with 20 Comments »
September 23, 2010 4:14 pm

The Affordable Care Act is supposed to “provide me with greater savings and increased health care” (quote by our secretary of health and human services). If this is true, why did I receive notice that my health care premiums will be rising 14 percent in 2011?

In reality, there are no savings for me. My premiums will now pay for the new plan, including coverage for adult children and “free” preventive screenings. The insurance companies want to start recouping predicted losses that will occur when Obamacare takes full effect in 2014. As usual, the consumer pays the price.

I am no politician, but I propose that we give financial incentives to encourage healthy lifestyles. The insurance system could operate much the same as auto or homeowner policies. A person striving to maintain good health would be rewarded with lower premiums (i.e., lowering blood pressure or blood sugar levels, maintaining healthy weight, etc.) The elderly or those with inherited diseases would receive extra advantage based on unavoidable circumstances.

Why should we provide free health care to those who make no attempt to stay healthy? Let’s encourage the reverse.

Tags:
  1. Sumner401 says:

Nancy, your premiums went up because the next round of reforms will limit that.
    Just like the credit card reforms, the banks went nuts milking us for as much as they could while they could.
    The HCR is a good deal, it will work, thats why the right hates it so much.
    We just have to let it take effect, which is one of the compromises the right whined and whined and whined until they got like your kids used to do with the cookies they begged for.

2. I live down the street from a building of mental patients. Cigarettes, street drugs, junk food, beer and multiple cases of lung cancer in the
    last 10 years. Why not take twice the cost of their purchases of cigarettes out of their checks until they see the light?

3. nokoolaide says:

Yeah, thats a good idea, but why stop there? We can review everyone’s family history for things like cancer, and then charge them more. We know a big contributing factor is genetics. And why stop there? Prenatal exams can weed out all the “defecient” embryos thereby avoiding huge health costs later on. Why stop there? ……..Do you see where we’re going?

4. nokoolaide says:

Typical left. All gung ho to grow government by adding programs or raising taxes, but when the bill comes due will do whatever they can to weasel out of their share. Obama care is your program, stop whinning and man up!

5. What? Gonna pay gays not to have sex? Why not – obamacare is gonna tell the rest of us all how to stay healthy. No more donuts for me,so it’s only fair that the gays pull their weight as well.

6. Nancy, my premiums have been going well before the Obama health care was passed.

In 2008, I paid $795 per month for two people, with a $500 deductible and 20% copay.

In 2009, it went up to $977 per month, a 22% increase with $500 deductible and 20% copay.

In 2010, it went up to $1200 per month, an 18% increase with a $2,500 deductible and 20% copay.

So why do our insurance premiums continue to rise at double digits?

One, because we are getting older and need more medical care.

Two, because they can do more. Go check out the prices for cancer drugs and robotic surgery.

Three, because we don’t pay for services out of our own pocket, most folks have medicare, medicaid, and employer provided insurance.

Fourth, our medical care is fee for service. This encourages doctors to provide more care then necessary.

Fifth, defensive medicine.

Sixth, folks are afraid to die and seem to be willing to spend someone else’s money no matter what the cost.

Seventh, too many folks think more medical care is better medical care.

So will your lower premium for good health lower health care costs? I suspect all it will do is shift them farther down the road.

Also I would expect Social Security costs to increase if folks lived longer due to better health.

In addition, will folks continue to work and prevent younger folks from entering and advancing in the work force?

Other countries spend a whole lot less on health care per person, so that leads me to suspect we are over spending and not getting much bang for the buck.

7. Sumner401 says:

nokoolaid, you need to change your name.

8. FreeAmerica says:

Socialism is an economic and political theory advocating public or common ownership and cooperative management of the means of production and allocation of resources.

Communism is a sociopolitical movement that aims for a classless society structured upon communal ownership of the means of production and the end of wage labour and private property.The exact definition of communism varies and it is commonly used interchangeably with socialism, however, communist theory contends that socialism is just a transitional stage on the way to communism.

So….Sumner…which one are you?

9. ArchieMoore says:

Nancy, medical insurance costs have been rising by double digits for the past decade and more. You didn’t notice?????? But at least now maybe you won’t get dropped as soon as you get sick!

Of course, it’s easier to just say “Obama did it.”

10. OldLefty says:

Fatuous –

Are you suggesting death panels?

11. OldLefty says:

“FreeAmerica says:
    September 24, 2010 at 8:20 am

So….Sumner…which one are you? ”

Aw yes….the proverbial “have you stopped beating your wife” question

Considering that there are many socialist countries in the world that are doing better than the US and are not as close to a fascist government (I’ll let you look up the definition, but it has to do with business, government and conservatism), I’ll chooses Socialist, even though I’m not Sumner.

I’d prefer socialism over fascism any day.

12. FreeAmerica says:

@oldlefty

I’m glad other socialist countries (Greece?) are doing better… maybe you should move to one of them.

This country will go hard right due to the debt accumulation by the socialist liberals…. get over it.

13. JungleBoy says:

14. OldLefty says:

“Had it not been for the far left socialists as yourself and sumner this country wouldn’t be leaning far right…reap what you sow.

I’m perfectly fine with a middle ground but you lefties are too worried about the neighbors greener grass and some corporations excess profits not shared with you as a free ride. ”

I’m really impressed by your “middle ground”. REALLY impressed.

Do you understand sarcasm?

15. OldLefty says:

Interesting how I went from CHOOSING socialism over fascism to being a “far left socialist”

40% of my 2008 votes went to Republicans. They should all be voted out for being far left socialists.

16. OldLefty says:

“JungleBoy says:
    September 24, 2010 at 9:31 am
    Here’s my simple question: Why is it that so many of the folks who are on food stamps, or some other government program, are so fat? When I go to the grocery store, I have to watch my budget – but then the guy in front of me, who’s using the ebt card, is loading up on all sorts of red meat, sugary cereals, and other junk food.”

Cost per serving is the key. Junk food fills the urge to eat

17. Sumner401 says:

Oldlefty, don’t feed the freetroll. It’s not worth it.

18. BlaineCGarver says:

It could be all so easy, if the (so called) leaders had the balz to do it.

Health care is a right. …..Insurance companies making billions, and law makers taking payoffs, all on the backs of the sick and dying, is NOT acceptable. Do away with insurance. Replace it with a Non-Profit single payer CoOp funded by whatever VAT is enough to cover it. There, wasn’t that easy? While you’re at it, replace the IRS with Federal Sales Tax, and let the IRS personal out of work run the Health CoOp. Pay a good living wage, just no CEOs and Boards making millions. There, I’m waiting for your applause.

19. eagle_beak says:

Ms. Lamas, thank you for your letter, your thoughts and opinions. i respect yours and all the other above commenters for their opinions as well. i wish that more people would open their minds tho and respect others opinions as there is much sniping in comments. and yet what truly makes our country unique is the differences in people and opinions.
    there is more work to be done regarding healthcare in our country. we do not want to end up with the problems that Canada and the UK have with their system. lobbyists still hold on to much power and can control so much of what happens. the pharmaceutical companies push medicines that may be unnecessary for most people. too many heart bypasses are done when they are not truly needed. too many unecssary hysterectomies and ceasarian sections, and on and on. too many lawsuits that drive up costs. enormous overcharging by medical supply companies. i can attest to most of this firsthand having a medical background myself.
    we are all good people. we all truly want what is best for our country. what needs to happen will happen regardless of each of our personal politics.

God bless America and help us make our country great!

20. Is eagle_beak really Dale Washam?