Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

STATE BUDGET: Taxes are the dues we pay as citizens

Letter by Mary Bartley, Tacoma on Aug. 10, 2010 at 10:27 am with 23 Comments »
August 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: “Actions are hampering recovery” (letter, 8-9).

The writer argues that state budget cuts are slowing economic recovery. He has a point. But what does he propose?

The simple fact is that Washington, like states throughout the country, must balance its budget by either cutting services or increasing taxes.
Unfortunately, too many of our citizens live in a fairy tale land where they have all the roads, education, medical care, etc., that they want and government provides all the services needed to protect our health and safety – all somehow paid for without raising taxes. Or, even more illogically, they believe that tax decreases will magically increase revenues.

It is time to grow up and put the fairy tales aside. Taxes are the dues we pay for being members of our society. Our elected representatives need to find the gumption to say this out loud, and we need to reward, not punish, them when they do.

1. Yep! Taxes are very much like union dues. If you want to be part of this union, you have to pay your dues.

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union…….

2. jandkgibbs says:

Mary, feel free to send a check to Olympia or Washington DC if you feel you have not paid enough tax. The rest of us have had it.

When it comes to your personal finance there are three enemies. 1. Inflation, 2. Fees and 3. taxes. Out of desperation beating all three has become the new game in town. The only way to slow down government spending is to stop sending them any money. Look at state revenues, a lot of people are playing this game. I would rather pay shipping than sales tax. People buy out of this state and on line to avoid the tax. I won’t buy a new car just because of tax.

Please answer me this. Is paying 50% of your income in taxes moral? I say no and here is why. WE PAY ENOUGH TAX!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE!!!!!!

Isn’t this list long enough?

1. Accounts Receivable Tax
    2. Building Permit Tax
    3. Commercial Drivers License Tax
    4. Cigarette Tax
    5. Corporate Income Tax
    6. Dog License Tax
    7. Excise Taxes
    8. Federal Income Tax
    9. Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
    10. Fishing License Tax
    11. Food License Tax
    12. Fuel Permit Tax
    13. Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
    14. Gross Receipts Tax
    15. Hunting License Tax
    16. Inheritance Tax
    17. Inventory Tax
    18. IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
    19. Liquor Tax
    20. Luxury Taxes
    21. Marriage License Tax
    22. Medicare Tax
    23. Personal Property Tax
    24. Property Tax
    25. Real Estate Tax
    26. Service Charge Tax
    27. Social Security Tax
    28. Road Usage Tax
    29. Sales Tax
    30. Recreational Vehicle Tax
    31. School Tax
    32. State Income Tax (a new one for us? NOT!!!!!!!!)
    33. State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
    34. Telephone Federal Excise Tax
    35. Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
    36. Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
    37. Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
    38. Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
    39. Telephone State and Local Tax
    40. Telephone Usage Charge Tax
    41. Utility Taxes
    42. Vehicle License Registration Tax
    43. Vehicle Sales Tax
    44. Watercraft Registration Tax
    45. Well Permit Tax
    46. Workers Compensation Tax

Why are people not buying just to avoid tax? Why is the underground economy the only economy that is growing? Look at the people in Costco paying with cash. Every decision I make I take tax into consideration. Look at the politicians that are the worst ones for not paying their tax like your hero John Kerry.

And ask Larry Seaquist about his lien for $23500.00 for non payment of tax. And ask the Tribune why they won’t print a story about it.

3. stetsonwalker says:

I d not mind paying tax, but I expect the people that I pat the taxes to spend them as frugally as I spend my money. I think that the state loses a lot of money because of the excessive tax rate in this state. I think that a lot of residents simply drive into Portland (or any other of several border towns) and make their major purchases and booze buys. If the rate of tax was lower I think that this would not be practiced as much. But the key to this is to spend tax money wisely.

4. madmike272 says:

Polago – In many cases, even if you don’t want to be in the union, you have to pay the dues. You must be a teamster!

Mary, how about we cancel the touchy-feely programs like bum baths, free needles, free crack pipes? Then I won’t mind not reducing any current taxes.

5. I want out of this union because of their “dues”. I don’t want ‘em, you can have ‘em, they’re too fat for me.

6. Don’t forget the Death tax. And our gas tax is closer to 54 cents per gallon.

7. donjames says:

And entitlements, massive budget deficits, out of control spending, etc, etc, etc, are what we get for those “dues”? No thanks, Mary.

But your analogy is accurate in one respect:
    Lousy representation by greedy career bureaucrats who never seem to feel the pinch of the higher “dues” they have wrought.

8. Sumner401 says:

And there they are, right on cue with their spoon fed talking points, the far right extremists that want their cake and eat it too.

9. reformedliberal says:

The letter writer demonstrates that it is he who lives in la-la land:

“Or, even more illogically, they believe that tax decreases will magically increase revenues.

Well yes, actually. History has shown time and time again that properly targeted tax cuts DO increase tax revenue. And if he doesn’t know at least THAT little common-knowledge nugget of repeated past experience, then perhaps he should just keep quiet about taxes and other matters which he does not understand.

10. The death tax. Now there’s a tax I’m not going to loose sleep over.

I live in the greatest state in the greatest country in the world.

I’ll pay my fair share and not cry and moan about it. If that’s what you choose to do, then I hope it makes you happy.

“…ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.”

11. Thanks for the laugh sumner, – look who runs our legislature. Those people couldn’t cut the budget if a good plan was laid out in front of them. Too many pet projects, that’s where all the money goes. Mismanagement of accounts receivable. Lying on time cards (state ferry system) and defending them when caught. Our governor has disgusting morals. Our state and local governments need to cut the fat.

12. Sumner401 says:

fmrplt, that you for proving my point, you really do want your cake and eat it too.

13. jandkgibbs says:

Sumner401 sounds like a state legislator or a wantabe? Either way, a coolaid drinker.

14. Like Godwin’s Rule of Nazi Analogies, once we break out the cool aid drinker finger pointing, it should be assumed that the argument is lost.

15. iamjimbo says:

And there they are, right on cue with their spoon fed talking points, the leftists that want someone else’s cake and eat it too.

Amazing how the Sumn can’t refute anything, only call names and ramble.
    Typical.

16. artsandcrafts says:

Ditto jimbo. ;)

17. Roncella says:

Mary/Polago, You two and and others who believe as you do should be sending an additional check weekly to the Olympia, attn: Gov. Gregoire for her to use in paying all the bills, make it a big one.

Indiana has a balanced budget, so do many other states, without raising the taxes one penny.

Government Unions and poor planning and over spending has got us in the mess we are in. New taxes will not help as the unqualified folks running Olympia would just spend that much more and would need still more taxes raised.

Jandk, Thanks for showing Mary just how many taxes we are required to pay already, and the losers we sent to Olympia and Washington D.C. still can’t balance a budget.

18. FreeAmerica says:

State Audit
    The agency says removing benefits from the 6,200 should save about $20 million in health costs they would have incurred next year.

To Sumner / Polago..
    You are wrong…we the people understand we need to have government and government is a cost which must be covered by taxes.
    “Taxation without representation” Sound familiar?

Cut government wasteful spending and then come ask me for money….don’t expect me to pay for lack of management and waste.

See the above 20 million in wasteful spending due to lack of management.

19. crappyemailname says:

We are:

13th largest population

but taxed:

2nd Highest in Gas tax
    5th highest in cigarette tax
    19th hightest in beer tax
    9th highest in sales tax

Forbes list Washington state as the 8th highest taxed state in the U.S. and the highest taxed on the west coast.

I don’t mind being taxed at a reasonable rate, what I do mind is wasteful and inefficient spending and projects. What I do mind is that EVERY time the government is “short” on cash their “answer” is more taxes. How about spend cuts? How about ending programs that arent working or the ones that aren’t worth current or future investment?

This site lists numerous wasteful and unnecessary state projects and spending.

20. 2nd Highest in Gas tax
    5th highest in cigarette tax (Who cares?)
    19th hightest in beer tax
    9th highest in sales tax (But, Nooooooooooo income tax)

crappyemailname says, “I don’t mind being taxed at a reasonable rate”

Sounds like an income tax is right up your alley.

21. Roncella says:

Polago, Maybe you should try and understand not everyone has unlimited resources as you seem to. As all the taxes keep moving up and up it really hurts those on fixed incomes especially.

Nothing stops you and others like you from sending extra dollars to Governor Gregoire and have her use them towards some of the many programs she needs additional funding for.

22. A fixed income is nothing to sneeze at these days, Roncella. You’re doing better than most in this economy.

You, and others like you, who want us to pick up your slack, need to stop complaining and pitch in with the rest of us.

I may not have as much as you but I’m the wealthiest person in the world, because I live in the best state in the best country in the whole world, and I appreciate it.