Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TACOMA: City workers have special status?

Letter by Terry Kuehn, Tacoma on July 28, 2010 at 2:10 pm with 13 Comments »
July 29, 2010 9:09 am

Regarding the recent shooting death of a Tacoma employee, can we now expect that each time “one of their own” dies or is killed that the city will fly flags at half-staff and then have a public memorial at the Tacoma Dome to honor the deceased?

There is no place in society for “sacred cows,” plain and simple. And that means no police officer, no sheriff’s deputy, no state patrol officer and no firefighter in this country is any more important than any of us.

Possibly someone could interpret for me just what the term “one of their own” really means.

1. tubbythetuba says:

What a mean spirited “BadNameDeleted”, and big Richard.

2. Kevindot1 says:

Well, Terry. I work for an employer, and if when we have had a death in the company, we referred to that person as one of our own. This is no different. This woman touched a lot of lives throughout our great city and she died in a horrific manor. I support our city honoring their loss of a fellow co-worker in this manor. You are just heartless and mean-spirited.

3. Terry, I think you dug yourself into a pretty big hole. Good luck getting out.

4. tomwa007 says:

Maybe all in attendance at the memorial can raise money to pay back taxpayers for use of city facilities. City workers can take a pay cut to cover it and they should not be able to attend while on the clock unless it is counted against their personal leave time.
    This is the real world and you don’t see private corporations paying for memorials no matter how well they did their job.

5. frankiethomas says:

When the teacher at Birney was killed, the schoool district put their flags at half staff. . . sheesh. Especially when one is a victim of a crime, taken horribly, suddenly, it is our society’s way of saying HEY, we stand together against you thugs, we are not afraid, (even if we are), we are united with this family in their grief.

6. pazzo242 says:

Terry—WOW, are you sure your real name is not Scrouge!!

This woman was taken in a very tragic way–it’s not like she died of natural causes but instead in the act of attempting to stop violent acts. And what does she get for it–your scorn!

You probably laughed when during the scene of Christmas Yet to Come, Little Timmy was dead.

7. pazzo242 says:

I’m surprised you didn’t add–“Bah, humbug” in there somewhere as well.

8. reformedliberal says:

The letter writer has a very valid point.

We see signs of a “them vs. us” attitude all the time, in fact they even use that language to express it. (Virtually any interview with Deputy Ed Troyer will provide an excellent demonstration.)

9. Sumner401 says:

I think the trumped up, media fed anti-government’ sentiment has at long last reached it’s ugly and inevitable zenith.
    Special thanks to fox noise and glen ‘alcoholic’ beck, as well as rush ‘drug addict’ limbaugh.

10. Zillahboy says:

I think it is fine if the city wanted to fly the flag at half-staff, but,Sumner401, why did you choose to use the situation to attempt to insult conservatives?
    Six insults in two sentences. Are you going for your record?

11. Kevindot1 says:

Not true tomwa007, the private corporation that I have worked for for almost 8 years has paid for memorial costs when one of our own was killed on the job.

12. uratroll says:

Terry, obviously the downturn in the real estate market has turned you into a bitter old man. Perhaps a carrer change world do you good. May I suggest writing condolence cards for Hallmark or something?

13. b_wilson says:

Um excuse me, you happen to be talking about my mother. Now before you get all high and mighty and start stating the way things SHOULD be, why don’t you take a second to think. Flags weren’t lowered and memorials weren’t held for no reason. It is not the fact that she died, it’s the fact that she was MURDERED. Yeah my mother didn’t run the city or anything of the sort, but she did a lot for Tacoma, so the city decided to pay their respects. Get over it. If there is anything else you’d like to say, I’ll give you my personal number, or my address, so you could come say it to my face. don’t hide behind your computer when my address was posted all over the news and the internet. Come pay me a visit, I dare you.