Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

STATE BUDGET: Save money on translators

Letter by Bobby J. Gee, Lakewood on July 20, 2010 at 2:27 pm with 14 Comments »
July 26, 2010 9:19 am

As I prepared for a meeting with the state Department of Social and Health Services, I thought to go online and review a related document. I was offered a choice of English, Cambodian, Chinese, Korean, Laotian, Russian, Somali, Spanish and Vietnamese.

This seems a lot to publish a one-page document. It must cost a lot too.

Why only nine languages? What about the other immigrant nationalities? I know a lot of people from Thailand, Nigeria, Eritrea and the Philippines. Several people I have met that I thought were Russian were really from Ukraine. All the ones I have met spoke English.

I am sure that I am not alone when I say that if my tax dollars are going to pay for state-provided services to anyone, I expect them to the know the culture and language of my state and nation, not the other way around.

Tags:
  1. Question: How do you spell bigot?
    Answer: Bobby J. Gee, Lakewood.

2. Zillahboy says:

Bobby,
    I agree completely with your comments.
    Have you ever noticed how some folks always resort to calling people who don’t agree with them bigots, racists………..?

3. CrazyJim says:

“I expect them to the know the culture and language of my state and nation, not the other way around.”
    ———————–

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if it’s cheaper to have translators than not. And English is not an easy language to learn overnight.

4. Zillahboy, said: “I wish Publico would explain why it is biggoted to expect people who come to America to be able to communicate in English.”
    If you do not know the answer to this, then I truly feel sorry for you.
    The ONLY compelling reason immigrants should learn the language is to better their economic possibilities. If that does not matter to them then so be it. They can be excellent citizens speaking only german or anything else.

5. Then why come here if you only want to “part out” the easy parts of this country and continue to willfully ignore the meaning of “Assimilation”? My daughter-in-law came here legally, learned our language, is employed and after half a dozen years is applying for her U.S. citizenship–she didn’t just SNEAK over the border with 20 lbs. of pot in a backpack at night, Publico!

6. I agree if people from another country come here to make it there home then learn the language. Case in point I was at the work source office and there were 3 spanish speaking males there and they had a interperter because they do not speak english. Learn our language not much to ask if you want to live and make your home in our country.

7. donjames says:

Perhaps, if publico were an employer, it would be easier for he/she/it to understand the logic of an official language. But then someone who has no compunction with contributing to the watering-down of fellow race-baiting leftists favorite put-downs – like bigot, racist, etc – would also likely not have any real concerns for an immigrant (legal or otherwise) who refuses to assimilate – other than who they vote for.

8. Sumner401 says:

My daughter-in-law came here legally, learned our language

How long it that take her lars?
    Was she fluent in English over night Or did she need some help for a while?
    If there was some important information and she didn’t have English speaking network of friends and family, what do you expect her to do?

9. JungleBoy says:

The truest measure of “assimilation” is whether or not the 3rd generation of an immigrant family is able to speak English fluently. Usually, the 1st generation struggles with their “adopted” language, the 2nd generation struggles with the “mother” language, and the 3rd generation can’t speak a lick of the mother language.

10. Sum- nice bait, wont work- she spoke some limited Euro-English as opposed to American English but the fluency and definitions were not anywhere near commercial proficiency levels__However__there was first and foremost the desire not to colonize in an enclave, but to assimilate. That actually means learning the language (she constantly asked questions about things we took for granted), learning U.S. history as good or better than most H.S. seniors and developed a deeper appreciation for our customs and manners. Answer to your last question: If one does not know the depth, don’t jump off the deep end, or If your feet don’t reach the pedals, don’t drive. She did NOT sneak in here…

11. “larsman says:
    July 20, 2010 at 10:52 pm
    Then why come here if you only want to “part out” the easy parts of this country and continue to willfully ignore the meaning of “Assimilation”? My daughter-in-law came here legally, learned our language, is employed and after half a dozen years is applying for her U.S. citizenship–she didn’t just SNEAK over the border with 20 lbs. of pot in a backpack at night, Publico.”
    Two questions for which you seem to assume the answers; where does it say that “assimilation” is required and are you really saying that every Mexican sneaks across the border carrying 20# of pot?
    We all just need to be clear on what your position actually is.

12. Sumner401 says:

No one else can have that same feeling lars? No one? Every other person that comes here wants to just keep speaking their native language, just to piss you off?
    Seriously?

13. Sumner401 says:

learning U.S. history as good or better than most H.S. seniors

I hope she didn’t learn her English from you lars!

14. FreeAmerica says:

Check out this site….. Government duplication of effort abound and big wages to boot