Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

DOMESTIC ABUSE: System works against men

Letter by Alison Lorraine Whiteman, Tacoma on July 19, 2010 at 10:53 am with 11 Comments »
July 20, 2010 8:56 am

Re: “Tacoma employee’s role in custody battle leads to ethics case” (TNT, 7-11).

The story of domestic violence advocate Gloria China Fortson is all too common. As someone who has taken police reports as a reporter from Colorado Springs to Eatonville to Tacoma, I know domestic violence perpetrated against men is not uncommon, but it is underreported.

As serious as outright violence directed at men are crimes that are more conniving. These include financial exploitation, the taking of one’s children, nasty custody battles that almost always favor women, high spousal maintenance support awards and costly child support payments.

Not all stories of alleged battering and abuse are true, and this appears to be the case in the Keisha Jackson case. It will take a reversal of the David Brame incident, perhaps the murder of a man, to result in services for men in Tacoma.

1. Alison, you are correct. Ask any average Joe who’s gotten divorced with kids. I’ve seen some of the strongest men I know brought to their knees by our family law system. Knowing the rules, I don’t play the game the way they want me to. I keep my sanity and my money and they hate that.

2. murphtall says:

this state, its inhabitants, its politicians are largely, by and all, misandrous, plain and simple.

3. MarksonofDarwin says:

“The resources in this city are for women, not men. Men have nowhere to go except to private pay attorneys.”

That’s the whole issue right there, in a nutshell.

The government has a duty to be fair and equitable to all its citizens.

4. reformedliberal says:

Men need to wake up and realize that politicians haven’t represented them for decades.

Locally, we need to stop Rep. Steve Conway in his tracks.

5. ” As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths”.
    Isaiah 3:12
    760 BC

6. Alison7613 says:

Whoa! That’s some Biblical reference. Mine says “youths oppress my people. Women rule over them.” Still! Didn’t see that one coming! So the complete lack of order in our society is a sign of judgment? To Jerusalem it was in any case. Goodness!

7. khrystape says:

Just so that everyone is clear, here in Pierce County, there ARE services for men.

There is a free support group for male vicitms of DV in South Hill.

There is FREE counseling for male victims of DV at Good Samaritan Behavioral Health in Puyallup, WA

The Family Justice Center serves men as wells as has a male intern advocate and MALE volunteers.

Just saying!

8. khrystape says:

Oh, and one more thing….I am a provider who serves both men and women AND their children AND know many other providers from Kitsap County to Thurston County for free or reduced cost counseling servivces.

Again, Just Saying!

Here is a Hot Tip: Ask your provider if they are trained in Domestic Violence.

9. edasterisk says:

is the male advocate full time ,equally paid and trained in dv for hetrosexual male victims, whats his name what agencys pay him. why has this been such a secret, why not the outreach efforts…………….

10. alwaysamazed says:

I am 45 years old. ALL of my life my mother TORMENTED and ABUSED my father. Lied to the police and Judges who of course bought every lie she ever spoke.
    You reap what you sow. My mother has 6 children that want NOTHING to do with her. She is dying of PCPD and she hasn’t seen some of her kids in years and they don’t ever care to see her. She sit’s in her little apartment day in and day out slowly dying.

I wish this on every woman that ever uses their children against their father.

11. Alison7613 says:

Always Amazed, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you find some peace and healing.