Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

OIL SPILL: Are we the Earth’s caretakers?

Letter by Norm Eklund, Bonney Lake on June 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm with 31 Comments »
June 29, 2010 12:58 pm

They say a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words so maybe the A.P. photo Friday qualifies (TNT, 6-25). The sign on Louisiana’s Gulf Coast read: “Support Deep Water Drilling.” I’m not kidding.

Some say that drilling offshore will ultimately ruin the economy in the gulf while others contend that NOT drilling will do the same. Apparently we’re on the horns of a dilemma (or gusher).

Since the South is by far the most religious part of the country, I wonder how Southerners view the biblical command that we’re all to be stewards or caretakers of the Earth, including its waters and shores? Hmmm…

Tags:
  1. LuckyCharm says:

If you take the rhetoric of the religious right as a whole, you’ll see that on almost every issue, they’re all about taking care of themselves and nobody else. Environment, immigration, health care, unemployment, you name it. Unborn babies, sure, they’ll fight to get them delivered, but once that happens, you’re on your own, pal. No help for you if you’re not a citizen, or if your mom’s too poor to put a roof over your head or get you your checkups — that’s your problem now, kid!

2. LuckyCharm says:

It’s all about the money with them, Norm. They bow and scrape at the altars of Big Oil and the military-industrial complex because that’s who’s got all of it. The only issue on which they even pretend to care about somebody else is abortion, because it doesn’t cost them anything to do that. Once the baby is born, who cares what happens to it as long as you don’t try to touch THEIR money to help him.

Their mantras are, “Blessed are the rich, because they’ve used their God-given talents so wisely.” “Lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, because they are a sign of God’s favor.” “Serve mammon, because in doing so you serve ‘individual freedom,’ which of course is God’s highest priority.” Etc….

3. tubbythetuba says:

The Lord also gave man dominion over all the earth for our good.

4. While recently in Tennessee and Mississippi I could count a dozen different opinions that were clearly articulated, on as many street corners, restaurants, or in offices. I am a Christian and regularly give financial support to Care Net of Pierce County as does my little 70 member (mega, not) church so the question I have for you today is 1) how did you support the unborn this year and 2) what on earth translation are you reading from??? Again with the “All them guys=bad, All us guys=good progressives” Sorry to hear about your infirmity…

5. LuckyCharm says:

tubby, God told Adam and Eve in Gen 1:28 to “fill the earth and subdue it.” The understanding was that they were, for their part, to obey God. When that covenant was broken by the Fall, God at last destroyed the earth with a flood, and after Noah and his family were saved, God again gave a command, but this time it was only to fill the earth and multiply — no mention of subduing anything, since man had already shown himself incapable of doing so wisely.

lars, 1) I support the unborn the same way I support those already born — by doing what I can within our system to work for more equitable, hospitable conditions conducive to life for all. Statistically, far more abortions occur due to the mother’s perceived inability to provide for all a child needs growing up than due to the lack of laws against it. And 2) the “translation” was the argument I detect all throughout right-wing rhetoric. When was the last time any of them ever mentioned the middle class or the poor at their conventions, except to say that there is no health care crisis because people can always go to the ER or bring a chicken to the doctor’s office? Where is the concern for the unemployed, now that they’ve succeeded in getting pretty much all American manufacturing jobs shipped overseas (besides the automobile sector, and apparently they resent that too, as violently as they decried this administration’s loan)? What is their plan for babies born to illegal immigrants, besides to send them to Mexico?

6. The excellent points being discussed here remind me of a bumper sticker I once read.

It said “Republicans are pro-life. (Until birth)”.

7. readingthelatest says:

And how many of these conservatives were part of that 47% of people who didn’t have to pay taxes this year? All that belly aching over their tax dollars going to things they don’t approve…

Mortgage credit, child credit, blah blah blah….. After it’s all said and done they get more money back then they paid in. Then there are single, non-parents like myself that make less than the average state income who end up paying a couple grand because we don’t have the “traditional American family” credits…

I know, this has nothing to do with protecting Earth… It does, however, illustrates how self-centered they are.

8. Sumner401 says:

Not to mention hypocritical.

9. Wow. Got baggage anyone?

Based on these responses I would respectfully request that LC, sumner, cirrius and reading all cease and desist any and all complaining about generalizations and stereotypes; also unwarranted slams and presumptions. In this thread you have exposed yourselves as thoroughly blinded by your arrogance and assumptions, the washing of your brains is officially complete.

These comments are sad and absurd all at once.

Norm the Christians I know take their call to be stewards of the earth quite seriously and are among the most committed people I know re this call.

Further, the Christians I know give a great deal of money and TIME to help the homeless and the helpless.

Additionally, those I know who advocate for the unborn also give generously to ministries that take care of children all over the world.

Despite your suggestion, using the resources God gave us and taking care of the earth do not have to be mutually exclusive. Responsible people can do both.

You’ll get no argument from me that corporate greed is a shameful thing, and surprise surprise — none of Christians I know would be so naive as to defend unscrupulous business practices.

I

10. LuckyCharm says:

Is my memory failing me, sozo? Did you not oppose health care reform? Have you not opposed increased aid to the unemployed and to immigrant babies? If I’m getting you confused with someone else, please let me know, but I’m almost positive you have taken those positions in these forums. Certainly that’s the rhetoric we’ve been hearing from right-wing spokespersons, anyway.

11. LuckyCharm says:

Also, sozo, rather than attacking my presumed arrogance, can you deny that what I said in my initial post was spot-on? Can you actually name any right-wing group or spokesperson that advocates environmental restraint and preservation, and assistance for the needy? Remember, I qualified my comment as applying to their rhetoric as a whole — you don’t have to take everything so personally… Unless the shoe fits.

12. And sozo, what is your position on global warming, the damage it will cause, and humankind’s contribution? Keeping the planet clean is part of the “good stewardship” requirement for all those Christians who tout their contributions.

13. Sumner401 says:

According to sozo if you don’t agree with him, you are brain washed,blinded by arrogance and assumptions and therefore should just shut up and go away.
    I love the way the right embraces freedom.

14. tubbythetuba says:

I love the way Sumner strokes every conservative with the same Broad Brush….You should look and see how VERY much money goes to Dems?Libs/Socialist from Big Oil, Big Business, Big Medicine. Honestly, you should get your news from The News Media (preferably PBS or BBC) and stop parroting the DNC web site.

15. So, opposing Obamacare means I don’t care about sick people?

Having legitimate questions about global warming “science” means I don’t believe in taking good care of the planet?

Do you honestly not see the faulty thinking exposed here?

I have never written anything to suggest I am opposed to increasing (or decreasing aid) to the unemployed and/or immigrant babies.

BTW Sumner, I realize you are challenged, but after all these months, most regulars here know that I am a a her not a him. And yes, I do think that several posters here are “brainwashed, blinded by arrogance and assumption, ”

but I don’t wish that ALL of them would just shut up and go away.

16. Sumner401 says:

Look is is ‘challenged’ and painting with a broad brush!
    If it weren’t so pathetic it would be funny.
    The hypocrisy, as I said……

17. Sumner401 says:

That should be ‘look who is challenged’, I can’t type this afternoon!

18. Thanks Sozo, your post @ 8: 34 I.D.’s who you were talking about as opposed to “ALL Them Guys Over Thar Always”. LC- would you then say that you are the arbitrary judge of “fairness and compassion”? So tell me again how the rule of law relates to the NT at, say, Rom. 13th chapter? Speaking of Romans, the type of overgeneralized ‘bait-and-switch’ emotionally opaque arguments you use are the same ones employed by the Pharisees to Pontius Pilot: IF you let him free (Jesus), THEN you are not Caesar’s friend ( if you don’t buy algore, then you trash the enviro., or IF you don’t accommodate illegal immigration by ‘system-gamers’ THEN you’re not pro-life ). Glad you’re not my banker. SUM- Which one of ALL-YOU-GUYS ever told you to go away? I appreciate the practice (dealing with you) in dealing with my 4 year old grandson at times…

19. BTW- LC at 9 : 05 , If you had been ‘actually’ paying attention (“Can you actually name any right-wing group”) you were given an ‘actual’ example (Care Net of Pierce County ) from my post of 6/29 5 :45 .

20. “sozo says:
    June 30, 2010 at 12:43 pm
    So, opposing Obamacare means I don’t care about sick people?

Do you honestly not see the faulty thinking exposed here?”
    Nope! How else are your going to do it that might actually work and get through the political process?

21. Sozo says: “You folks are simply proving my point with these additional comments — you make gigantic leaps and assumptions about people, lumping anyone who questions your logic into a group of subhumans with varying labels…wing-nut, rightie, whatever.”

You forgot to include these labels.., “Libs, lefties, commies, socialists, marxists, anti-American, ignorant electorate, germs, cowards, idiots, spineless, lacking a set.

Your statement reminds me of the irony of Roncella accusing others of drinking the cool-aide.

22. I actually concede your point, cirrus, and you will note, I believe except for perhaps an occasional moment of exasperation that I personally don’t use the labels you cite above. I DO refer to liberals from time to time, but I believe that’s a label, like progressive, that they do not find offensive.

All the playground banter and dirt-clod fighting I leave to …others.

23. LuckyCharm says:

sozo, like I said originally, I never meant to pick apart every single one of your personal beliefs, but was pointing out the right-wing agenda as a whole. You might personally believe that all babies are precious and deserve the best of care, whatever the cost, but many of your friends on the right would say that if they were born to a paperless Mexican immigrant, they should be sent back, with their mother, into poverty and violence.

lars, my argument does not at all parallel your strained Biblical references. It’s not about who is “friends” with whom, it’s more like “If you filibuster an unemployment insurance extension (the prevailing right-wing position) then you don’t care about those who through no fault of their own have lost their jobs and are unable to be rehired anywhere.”

24. beerBoy says:

Unfortunately, like other disasters before it, there are some of the Christian Telebangelist ministers who are claiming that the DeepWater disaster is god’s plan and vengeance upon a sinful nation.

25. Interesting that some of you here are so generous in overlooking the hateful Jeremiah Wright and his rants, & quick to defend the president and his wife for choosing Wright’s church…but so quick to presume that extremists on the right speak for all those who have legitimate opposition to this administration’s policies.

What’s especially interesting about this is that the president CHOSE Wright as his spiritual mentor and said as much.

What would you all have done had Laura and W said that Pat Robertson was THEIR spiritual advisor?

26. LC, it would be mature of you if you were able to admit that you have made vast generalizations that you should not have made.

27. LuckyCharm says:

sozo, the universe you inhabit must be surreal indeed if you equate someone’s church attendance to someone else’s blockage of a bill intended to keep food on the table for unemployed families or get health care to the sick and infirm, or running smear ads designed to inspire armed violence. I couldn’t have cared less if the Obamas had attended the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, as long as he executes his presidential duties faithfully and exhibits personal integrity. On the other hand, some of those SC pols attend some mighty fine upstandin’ Southern Baptist churches, which impresses me not a whit when they go gallivantin’ off to Argentina or harassing young male interns.

28. Sumner401 says:

“I believe except for perhaps an occasional moment of exasperation that I personally don’t use the labels you cite above.”

No, you have another group all your own and much worse as yours are far more personal in both aim and action.

“All the playground banter and dirt-clod fighting I leave to …others.”

Since calling you a liar for that statement would get this post deleted, I won’t, but I’m sure every person that has read has had that thought.

29. beerBoy says:

Nice D.O.C. sozo – I mention that some ministers have been trying to interpret this man-made disaster as god’s will due to the sinfulness of America and you bring up Jeremiah Wright.

I gotta wonder…..why do you feel the need to defend these vermin?

30. Which vermin am I defending in your opinion, bBoy?

I brought up Wright as a counter to the “telebangelists” you mentioned. Seems both sides of the political spectrum have their religious villains.

Where in my posts do you find me defending his right-wing counterparts?

31. Norm, I think that we’re all learning, the hard way, that all of this out of control drilling for oil is only going to bite us in the behind down the road. Big oil doesn’t care about our environment, so it’s up to us to make sure that they’re heavily regulated. Thankfully, we don’t have the “drill baby drill” team in office.

But I think your religion angle is a bit of a stretch.