Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

GAZA: In-depth media coverage needed

Letter by Betty Ogden, Puyallup on June 3, 2010 at 5:23 pm with 30 Comments »
June 3, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks to The News Tribune for the excellent op-ed by Linda Frank (6-3) on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. More media attention should be directed towards making the public aware of the seriousness of this conflict. Until a way to solve it can be found we cannot hope for peace in the Middle East.

Our foreign policy must reflect a better understanding of the Muslim hatred of Israel and Israel’s desire to have a secure homeland, and then must confront the ubiquitous power of the Israeli-backed lobbyists in Congress. Our wars are not going to fix anything – we must first address this basic problem.

Why exactly do we keep supporting Israel over Palestine?

Tags:
  1. beerBoy says:

More media sources with different viewpoints are needed – MSM in the US is very supportive of Israel’s perspective.

2. Betty, It’s easy to see to why we support Israel. If Israel did not defend itself, there would be no Israel. If the muslims quit attacking Israel, there would be no war. Simple as that.

3. I began reading some history on this conflict, as I realized I had no business commenting with the limited knowledge I have. It took some doing to find a source that makes a real effort to simply give the facts without slanting the story.

I would hope that all those who feel compelled to assess and comment on this situation do their homework first.

My default position is to support Israel for what I think are fairly obvious reasons, but I am not so naive as to think they have conducted themselves without blemish. I will say this though…those of you who are quick to dismiss Israel, and demonize her, need to try looking at a much bigger picture I think.

Back to my homework.

4. beerBoy says:

sozo – good luck with that – finding unbiased history of the region is as difficult as finding unbiased news sources.

5. Well B, since you seem to have no inhibition about voicing your opinion about Israel, how ’bout you share your source?

6. buddy007 says:

First of all, there is no such country known as Palestine.
    Second, I encourage Betty to go reside in any Islamic country to experience the lowly life of a female.
    If you happen to get raped, more than likely you would then be brutally murdered for being an infidel whore.
    Could that happen in Israel?
    Of course not.
    This brand of Islam that you support is one that affords few freedoms and draconian punishments for the slightest offence.
    Enjoy your trip…maybe you can be the next Rachel (the naive idiot) Corrie

7. beerBoy says:

ij – a biased source (but not the same bias as MSM) would be whatreallyhappened.com.

One of the least biased sources would be haaretz.com – it tends to carry a broad spectrum of voices on the issue.

8. The same people who jump at a chance to holler racism at anyone who opposes illegal immigration, are the same people who constamtly show their true colors about being anti-semite.

9. tubbythetuba says:

Islam is a blight and cancer that must be removed from the body of mankind….No one needs to understand a cult of hate that calls for all “non believers” to submit, pay tribute , or die. Termites in your home need to be killed, or they will crumble your abode… There, I think that covers it.

10. geeterpontiac says:

“and then must confront the ubiquitous power of the Israeli-backed lobbyists in Congress.”

Kind of one-sided aren’t you Betty?

Try confronting the Islamic based lobbyists in Congress too.

Oh, I am sorry,,, I’m not allowed to mention that. I suppose that qualifies me as a racist.

Sigh,,,,,,,,,,,

Stop the ships, do whatever is required to prevent attacks on Israel coming in from the outside. That’s what we would do if it were us. Doh!

11. Roncella says:

Betty, I guess we need to better understand Muslim hatred of Americans also.

After 9-11 when they boarded planes and planned their mission to destroy the Twinn Towers in New York City and muder innocent folks.

These Muslim Terrorist need to be removed from the World so they can spend their eternity with their virgins and allah. Then the rest of the World might find some peace.

12. Obviously its a complicated mess…..But, when you have one side of a conflict believing it and publicly stating it is their god-given responsibility to wipe Israel off the face of the earth, it becomes easier to take sides. The gaza strip is under a blockade by Israel AND Egypt. The ships were advised repeatedly they were entering an area of hostilities. 5 of 6 ships had no issue. The Israelis even came armed with paintball guns for goodnes sakes. It was 20 minutes into the conflict, after being beaten with chains, stun grenades, metal bars etc. that they got approval to use deadly force and used their pistols loaded with real ammunition. The terrorists/terrorist supporters on the ship chose to engage the soldiers. Israel showed unbelievable restraint. This flotilla was publicized heavily, its only interest was in breaking the blockade of the Gaza Strip, not delivering humanitarian aid. They had the choice of having their wares inspected prior to them being delivered to the Gaza Strip. Understand that previous ships HAVE had weapons that were seized. Too bad we have a President who refuses to adamantly state that we support Israel, as he did in his campaign speech. Had he done this when these ships were getting ready to take off this could have/would have been averted. You can YouTube it and watch it for yourself. Sad-but a choice these terrorist/terrorist supporters made. Israel was unbelievably humane to release these enemy combatants in a day or so. They are already planning another attempt to break the blockade under the guise of humanitarian aid.-

13. beerBoy says:

TMell – the Israels also came armed with machine guns, revolvers, and stun grenades for goodness sakes!

14. beerBoy says:

Face it – Israel jumped the shark by jumping the gun and attacking the flotilla in INTERNATIONAL WATERS. If they had waited until it was legally their territory then they could have killed all of the US and Turk nationals they wanted without any reason for complaint.

15. Agree with you there BeerBoy(about letting them get closer to their stated destination). I am sure they will let these next ships that are being sent get closer to land before commandeering them. Of course, thats a small point of contention……they very publicly stated where they were going. I hope the soldiers rappel onto the ships this coming time with their machine guns and live fire in hand with open orders to use deadly force if deemed necessary, versus the paintball orders, and engaging in hand to hand combat for 20 minutes before getting permission to use deadly force. Can’t bring a paintball gun to a knife and chain fight……

16. pretty sure they don’t use revolvers, would limit you to 5 or 6 shots versus a conventional pistol with a 10 to 14 round capacity(or more) :)

17. and reloadings much quicker with swapping out a magazine versus a revolver….

18. beerBoy says:
    June 4, 2010 at 7:56 am

Except for yours, right beer?

19. The lib/national socialist hatred of Jews continues…

20. LuckyCharm says:

I guess we need to better understand Christian hatred of non-Christians also.

After 9-11 when they boarded planes and planned their mission to destroy Iraq and Afghanistan and muder innocent folks.

These Christian Terrorist need to be removed from the World so they can spend their eternity with their Jesus and Virgin Mary. Then the rest of the World might find some peace.

******************************
    Do you see what I’ve done here, Ron? I’ve taken your exact words and substituted language that Muslims might legitimately use against us. Same words, different speaker.

If we want to be the moral leader in the world, we ought to start acting like it. If we condemn terrorism, we should stop practicing it. If we are pro-life, let’s stop killing. If we are the shining beacon on the hill, we have no right to complain when others gravitate toward it. Even my dog is smart enough to ignore the Chihuahua that runs up and tries to bite her — why does our nation have to be less magnanimous than my dog?

21. beerBoy says:

citylies – do you know how to read?

My post clearly states a biased source and a source that has less bias – followed by the statement “There is no one source – to be informed we should read many from different biases.”

Yet you make a snotty remark.

But then you follow it up with the the blanket accusation of antisemitism of anyone who dare question anything Israel does so it is clear, on I/P conflict, you have nothing to offer besides demonization of anyone who would disagree with your view.

I wonder……do you think that the Jewish activist groups (both inside Israel and outside) that campaign against Israel’s Gaza and West Bank policies are “Jew-haters” too?

22. Speaking of Jewish peace activists…..over 10,000 Israelis protest in Tel Aviv their government’s heavy handed approach to the flotilla.

Amazing isn’t it….you wouldn’t think there would be that many “Jew haters” who are Jewish Israelis……

23. LuckyCharm, there you go again, making a complete fool of yourself. Christians didn’t attack the World Trade Center. Christians didn’t commit all of the untold acts of terrorism in the last ten or twenty years that these terrorist have, trying to compare Christianity to Islamic terrorism is about as stupid a comment that I’ve ever seen. You’re sympathy for Islamic terrorism is disgusting and anti-American. I can only hope that a law is passed that would disqualify you from any retirement or medical care from the military. You are a traitor.

24. beerBoy says:

frosty…..remember the Troubles in Northern Ireland? And all of the terrorist activities carried on by the Catholics and the Protestants?

Not exactly ancient history. The Good Friday Agreement was signed in 1998.

25. larsman says:

LC-mistaken moral-equivalency= Protecting the sanctity of innocent life (babies at conception, talk to any doctor or ,biologist or Psalm 139 for starters) is NOT the same as capitol punishment for 1st-degree mass murderers. Sadam had violated several dozen UN mandates that they were too cowardly to enforce by themselves, that was left up to us, or else what? You would call our disciplined professional military the same name as 19 Saudi cowards who do not declare war, wear a uniform or officially claim a country or flag? If you don’t mind, I’d like to gravitate to your shining refrigerator, then your shining couch and take your shining TV remote and if you don’t like it, well you’re just a racist bigot. So if my giant schnauzer devours your dog, you will also ignore that, correct? To equate the 114 Surahs of the koran with the 66 books of the Holy Bible displays immense ignorance.Bb-one may protest in Israel but will be lashed or mutilated in Iran.

26. LuckyCharm says:

A Buddhist or a Jew, among others, doesn’t believe life begins at conception, lars, so your Psalm 139 (are you sozo’s alter-ego?) wouldn’t apply, and doctors also disagree on this topic.

That said, even though I never brought up Scott Roeder (who I suppose you hold in high esteem for his act of pre-meditated murder), you’re completely forgetting the KKK, Timothy McVeigh, Adolph Hitler, the Hutaree militia, and others like them, all of whom were devout Christians, according to them.

But my point isn’t even to bash Christians, because after all, that is my own spiritual path. My point is that it is not only wrong, but counterproductive, to demonize all members of a particular faith on account of the actions of a few. Did you know that Islam is the fastest-growing religion on the planet, currently 23% of our global population? That means that the number of Islamic extremists are in the fractions of a percent, just like (hopefully) the number of Christian extremists.

Rather than ostracizing almost a quarter of our population, wouldn’t it be better in terms of our security to understand and work with them? We gain nothing by refusing to acknowledge them and calling for their extermination — we stand to gain a lot by getting them on our side and engaging them in the fight against terrorism.

27. Understand them? Work with them? What kind of mind-altering drug are you on? Just because their population is increasing, and that’s debatable, does’nt mean we all need to start carrying a prayer rug around. You may want to kiss up to those who are sworn to destroy you and your way of life but I come from a stronger gene pool, as do most Americans who know without a doubt what the Islamic tribes are trying to do. Pacify, justify, and turn the other cheek will never defeat those who are hell-bent on killing you.

28. LuckyCharm says:

frosty, I have worked alongside Muslims for much of my adult life. Many supervisors at Microsoft were Muslim, and they were just as shocked and dismayed after 9/11 as anybody. Many of our interpreters in Iraq were also Muslim, and most displayed no less courage and dedication than the troops they worked alongside. In my leisure travels, I’ve encountered many, many Muslims, and never has any one of them even been rude to me, let alone try to destroy me. So I guess I have a different perspective from you — the perspective of one with first-hand experience versus “Faux News experience.”

29. beerBoy says:

Book by Rabbi Yitzhak Shapiro of Yitzhar permits even the murder of babies and children who pose threat.

Rabbi Shapiro based the majority of his teachings on passages quoted from the Bible, to which he adds his opinions and beliefs.

“It is permissable to kill the Righteous among Nations even if they are not responsible for the threatening situation,” he wrote, adding: “If we kill a Gentile who has sinned or has violated one of the seven commandments – because we care about the commandments – there is nothing wrong with the murder.”

Several prominent rabbis, including Rabbi Yithak Ginzburg and Rabbi Yaakov Yosef, have recommended the book to their students and followers.