The co-director of the Afghan war documentary “Restrepo” was killed today while covering the uprising in Libya, The Associated Press is reporting.
The movie played twice last year at the Grand Cinema. Click “more” to read the full story.
MISRATA, Libya (AP) — An Oscar-nominated war photographer and film director was killed Wednesday in the besieged city of Misrata while covering battles between rebels and Libyan government forces. Three other Western photographers were reported wounded.
British-born Tim Hetherington, co-director of the documentary “Restrepo” about U.S. soldiers on an outpost in Afghanistan, was killed inside the only rebel-held city in western Libya, said his U.S.-based publicist, Johanna Ramos Boyer. The city has come under weeks of relentless shelling by government troops.
Three other photographers — including Chris Hondros, a New York-based photographer for the Getty agency — were seriously injured, said a doctor in Misrata who spoke on condition of anonymity because of fears of government reprisals.
The Associated Press was withholding the names of the other two journalists until it was able to confirm that their families were notified.
Hetherington was nominated for an Academy Award for his 2010 documentary film “Restrepo.” The film was co-directed by Sebastian Junger, author of “The Perfect Storm.”
“Restrepo” tells the story of the 2nd Platoon of Battle Company in the 173rd Airborne Combat Team on its deployment in Afghanistan in 2007 and 2008. The title refers to the platoon outpost, named after a popular soldier, Juan Restrepo, who was killed early in the fighting.
Hondros has covered conflict zones since the late 1990s including Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan, and his work has appeared in major magazines and newspapers around the world. His awards include World Press Photo honors and the Robert Capa Gold Medal, one of the highest prizes in war photography.