A 49-year-old man recently released from Western State Hospital has been charged with first-degree arson for allegedly setting fire to a bed in a Lakewood motel room, court records show.
Police and firefighters were dispatched to the Biltmore Motel after someone called 911 to report a fire in one of the rooms.
A man who’d rented the room told investigators he ignited the bed with a cigarette lighter after seeing a vision of “the devil” sitting on the mattress, court records show. The man also told investigators he’d been discharged from the state’s psychiatric hospital two to three months ago, had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and was not taking his medication, the records state.
The mattress and box springs were badly damaged by fire, and other contents of the room sustained water damage when the automatic sprinkler system deployed, the records show.
There were no reports of injuries.
The man is being held without bail until his competency to stand trial can be determined.