Law enforcement officers will be running a torch for the Special Olympics through Pierce County today and Friday.
Four torches are carried from each end of the state and converge Friday afternoon at the Lakewood Police Department.
The official torch will then be run by Kennewick police detective Shirrell Zeitenheimer and athlete Michael I’ren to Joint-Base Lewis McChord, where 2,700 athletes will compete in five sports over the weekend.
The torch, which weighs about 10 pounds, will pass through Gig Harbor from 4 to 5 p.m. tonight via Burnham, Harborview and Soundview.
On Friday, a different torch will travel through South King and Pierce counties. Below is the route:
• 1:00-1:30 p.m.: Kent PD KDM-272nd PAC HWY
• 1:30-2:30 p.m.: Federal Way 272nd to the Truck Scales
• 2:30-3:30 p.m.: Milton PD Truck Scales to 6700 PAC HWY
• 3:30-4:00 p.m.: Fife PD 6700 PAC HWY to Ellis St. Bridge
• 4:00-5:00 p.m.: Tacoma PD Ellis St. Bridge to Lakewood PD