Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

House fire in Northeast Tacoma caused by malfunctioning dishwasher

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on April 24, 2013 at 6:23 am |
April 24, 2013 6:24 am
Courtesy of Tacoma Fire
Courtesy of Tacoma Fire

A malfunctioning dishwasher started a house fire in Northeast Tacoma Tuesday that displaced a family of five, according to the Tacoma Fire Department.

The blaze was reported about 11:10 a.m. in the 6700 block of 24th Street NE. Crews arrived to find the 1,058-square-foot house filled with smoke and quickly knocked down the flames.

Two residents were checked out at the scene but no serious injuries were reported.

Investigators said a mechanical failure with the dishwasher started the fire, which caused an estimated $81,500 in damages.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.