Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Kent firefighters rescue woman from apartment fire

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on April 16, 2013 at 5:07 am with No Comments »
April 16, 2013 6:08 am

Kent firefighters rescued a woman from her burning apartment Monday night, which they said started when a cigarette container caught fire and spread to the carpet.

Crews responded about 8:30 p.m. to the complex in the 2400 block of 104th Avenue Southeast. They helped the elderly woman out of her home and attacked the flames, which were contained to a single unit on the first floor.

The woman was taken to an area hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Kent Fire Capt. Kyle Ohashi said a sprinkler system that was retrofitted to the building five years ago kept the incident from becoming “tragic.” He noted firefighters had practiced fire alarm drills with the complex residents in the past.

An estimate of damages was not immediately available. The first floor hallway suffered smoke damage, according to the Fire Department.

Leave a comment Comments
*
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0