Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Oily rags caused fire at Tacoma’s Boathouse 19

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on April 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
April 8, 2013 1:21 pm

Sprinkler heads at Tacoma’s Boat House 19 restaurant kept a kitchen fire from spreading early this morning, although the eatery did suffer $4,500 in damages.

Firefighters responded about 12:30 a.m. to the restaurant at 9001 S. 19th St. near Titlow Park and found smoke but no flames. They discovered two sprinkler heads activated and doused flames from the blaze, which was caused by oily terry cloth towels stored in a plastic tub igniting by spontaneous combustion.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.