A wall fire caused an estimated $15,000 in damages to a historic home in Tacoma’s Stadium district early Thursday morning.
Tacoma firefighters responded to the house, 521 N. Yakima Ave., about 2 a.m. Thursday. Crews used thermal imaging cameras to find hot spots in the wall, which is where the fire originated from failed electrical wiring.
Firefighters kept flames from spreading to the attic and roof of the 6,000-square-foot house, which was built in 1913. It is one of 75 or so homes that make up the Stadium-Seminary Historic District.
According to the National Historic Register, the Rust family built the house after the death of Howard Rust, son of Helen and William Rust, who was president of Tacoma Smelter and Refining Co.
Helen Rust could no longer bear to live at the Rust Mansion, 1001 N. I St., so the family constructed another home that wouldn’t remind her of her son.