Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Six displaced after Kent house fire

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:23 am with No Comments »
February 8, 2013 8:43 am

Six people were displaced early this morning after a fire started in the basement of their Kent home.

Kent firefighters responded to the blaze in the 3500 block of South 236th Street about 3:35 a.m. and found smoke coming from the front of the house. The residents were able to get themselves out safely and crews quickly extinguished the fire.

Capt. Kyle Ohashi said rags soaked with linseed oil – which is extracted from flax plant and used as a nutritional supplement or for painting and wood finishing – self-combusted in the laundry room, starting the fire.

The house was not equipped with smoke alarms. A neighbor called 911 after seeing smoke.

An estimate of damages was not immediately available but the home suffered serious smoke damage. The Red Cross is helping the family find somewhere to stay while repairs are made.


Leave a comment Comments
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0