Six people were displaced early this morning after a fire started in the basement of their Kent home.
Kent firefighters responded to the blaze in the 3500 block of South 236th Street about 3:35 a.m. and found smoke coming from the front of the house. The residents were able to get themselves out safely and crews quickly extinguished the fire.
Capt. Kyle Ohashi said rags soaked with linseed oil – which is extracted from flax plant and used as a nutritional supplement or for painting and wood finishing – self-combusted in the laundry room, starting the fire.
The house was not equipped with smoke alarms. A neighbor called 911 after seeing smoke.
An estimate of damages was not immediately available but the home suffered serious smoke damage. The Red Cross is helping the family find somewhere to stay while repairs are made.