Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Fircrest apartment fire caused by box left on stove

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:05 am with No Comments »
February 1, 2013 9:02 am

An apartment fire in Fircrest that displaced five people Wednesday was started by a cardboard box left on the stove by tenants moving in, according to the Tacoma Fire Department.

The blaze, which damaged four units in Fircrest Gardens at 1425 Rainier Dr., caused an estimated $99,000 in damages.

Firefighters were called to the complex just before 10 a.m. and found heavy flames and smoke showing from the second floor. They were able to contain the fire to a single apartment but the other three units were also affected.

Investigators said the power was activated for the new tenants Wednesday morning and the stove lit a box set on top of it.

Leave a comment Comments
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0