An apartment fire in Fircrest that displaced five people Wednesday was started by a cardboard box left on the stove by tenants moving in, according to the Tacoma Fire Department.
The blaze, which damaged four units in Fircrest Gardens at 1425 Rainier Dr., caused an estimated $99,000 in damages.
Firefighters were called to the complex just before 10 a.m. and found heavy flames and smoke showing from the second floor. They were able to contain the fire to a single apartment but the other three units were also affected.
Investigators said the power was activated for the new tenants Wednesday morning and the stove lit a box set on top of it.